Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I never hear the terms "Bombogenesis" and "record high tides" (especially 3 in succession) again.
What a miserable friggin' weekend.

I had a lot of outdoors plans this last weekend and it just poured rain whenever I wanted to do something, so I feel ya.

Not much has excited me so far this year. Good albums by Salad Boys, Agrimonia, Lowtide, and ionnalee (one half of iamamiwhoami), and strong EPs by Ride and Woodes - Ride's "Pulsar" is one of the best songs of their career, while Woodes is positioning herself as one of the most exciting talents in Australian music.

A few other albums have had some replay value, but I think the above artists are the only ones that will be in line for my 2018 honours in ten months' time. Maybe Poliça will be too, their album with Stargaze is another good'un.

A few other artists have let me down. Orphaned Land's album I expected to suck and it really does; DZ Deathrays are running low on steam; Long Distance Calling are just retreading old ground, and in a less rewarding way; Shame are more enjoyable live than on record; US Girls' new one is decent enough but has nothing to rival "Damn That Valley"; etc., etc.

This is one of the best starts to a year in quite a while IMO. Already a dozen albums I think are very good/great:

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (AOTY so far)
Hookworms - Microshift
MGMT - Little Dark Age
A.A.L./Nicolas Jaar - 2012-2017
U.S. Girls - In a Poem Unlimited
Superchunk - What a Time to Be Alive
Jeff Rosenstock - POST
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Screaming Females - All at Once
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
No Age - Snares Like a Haircut
The Go! Team - Semicircle

Plus great EPs from Kero Kero Bonito and the team of Ravyn Lenae and Steve Lacy.

Yes, well, I'm sure if you either like those artists or don't consider those albums a step down on their previous efforts, it's been a very good start! I should give the new Anna von Hausswolff a go, but her previous album had two boring minutes for every interesting one.

I forgot about Endless Heights in my previous post, who've put out a good slice of post-hardcore, and I discovered only about an hour ago that Wild Meadows have already released their album! I thought it was due next week but it dropped a couple of weeks ago. They put out some of the best shoegaze singles last year. First listen, this album meets my expectations nicely, if not quite exceeding them.

Having a hard time believing quality of life isn't worse in Mississippi and Alabama, etc. but ok.

Also, any fans of Everything But The Girl here? Pitchfork gave Tracey Thorn's new solo album "Record" an 8.0 yesterday which was pretty surprising for an older act.

Def gonna check it out. Last one of hers I got was nice enough but this one sounds special.

Looks like we got less than a week to recover before the next one!

The best part is my furnace shit the bed this morning (probably from spending the weekend in water, but seemed to be working fine since power was restored Sunday night until this morning), so no heat yet again (aside from space heaters, which didn't work over the weekend with no power so that's a plus), and of course all local plumbers/hvac guys are slammed so nobody coming till tomorrow, during our next Nor'easter.

Having a hard time believing quality of life isn't worse in Mississippi and Alabama, etc. but ok.

Also, any fans of Everything But The Girl here? Pitchfork gave Tracey Thorn's new solo album "Record" an 8.0 yesterday which was pretty surprising for an older act.

Def gonna check it out. Last one of hers I got was nice enough but this one sounds special.

I reckon I'll check it out. Sounds promising.

If last year featured all the indie rock favs releasing new albums, this year it's house heroes :drool:

BOTH the new Jon Hopkins AND the new DJ Koze are out on May 4 :combust:

And Jaar's A.A.L. record is so fucking good.

98% to 2% :lol: I don't buy it. I listened to Jay Som's last album more than anything but DAMN. last year and I've been listening to Laura Nyro constantly in 2018. I also don't know how it categorizes bands with both men and women in them.

Last edited:
The best part is my furnace shit the bed this morning (probably from spending the weekend in water, but seemed to be working fine since power was restored Sunday night until this morning), so no heat yet again (aside from space heaters, which didn't work over the weekend with no power so that's a plus), and of course all local plumbers/hvac guys are slammed so nobody coming till tomorrow, during our next Nor'easter.

That sucks a lot.

I don’t miss New England weather at all. After almost 20 years of that bullshit, Denver weather is amazingly nice.

Last edited:
The new Beach House song is incredible, much better than Lemon Glow:

Last edited:
Saw Spoon last night. Thought it was a really good show, albeit slightly short and missing a couple songs they'd been playing regularly. But then they revealed at the end of the show that they played the entire gig with rented gear because all of their equipment had been held up by customs as they were traveling from the Dominican Republic to Philadelphia (something about a festival down there with My Morning Jacket). Which is crazy impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom