Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, CRJ is well known, but as a one-hit wonder.

As somebody who has only heard that one hit, I certainly have no desire whatsoever to hear another note.

Damn, Ax. Really? If you thought the last couple of Tegan and Sara albums were good, Emotion should blow your mind.

I think it's a little more simple than even that; her first hit was considered a bit of a joke hit, she was considered more manufactured than those you listed.

even tho I think Emotion was pretty good, i got to say it's still as manufactured/produced as her earlier tracks were. it's just made in a less cheesy and cliched way which we could like.

Damn, Ax. Really? If you thought the last couple of Tegan and Sara albums were good, Emotion should blow your mind.

Heartthrob was great, but the latest Tegan & Sara absolutely blew, except for "Stop Desire". The rest basically sounded like whatever must've been left on the studio floor after Heartthrob.

Call Me Maybe was a fucking banger. I don't think she's really viewed that way to be honest.

If anything, she was probably unlucky that it came out so soon after Friday. She probably got unfairly lumped in with that song.

I'm not going to quote previous posts but:

Carly Rae is refreshing in that she seems to be one of the few female pop artists whose body/appearance/sexuality isn't exploited or even part of her promotional package in any way. It's purely about the music itself.

She's only a one-hit wonder if you're completely oblivious to pop music. I don't ever listen to the radio or watch television that contains it but I was still aware of Emotion when it was released.

Emotion is the catchiest pop album of the decade, and I'm absolutely mystified that it didn't do better commercially. There are like 7 tracks that could have been singles.

Cut To The Feeling is a fucking MONSTER. As El Mel said, some artists wait their whole career for one great hook and she has them in spades.

Yeah, CRJ is well known, but as a one-hit wonder.

As somebody who has only heard that one hit, I certainly have no desire whatsoever to hear another note.

if you like Grimes and CHVRCHES you'd like CRJ so immensely that you will agree with all the posters in here

honestly before listening to Emotion i really doubt that it would be any good because I only knew Call Me Maybe and I hated that song so much; but after actually checking it out i noticed that CRJ got much better than a pop cliche i imagined.

This band Brutus is incredible. They sound like White Lung combined with Dillinger Escape Plan. Super heavy punk, but with some technical touches. Their singer is a powerhouse. Their debut just came out this month and I can't stop listening to it.

I've been listening to this a bit the last couple of days and definitely digging it. Geez, that vocalist sure has some pipes.

"Baby Seal" is fucking terrible though.

This band Brutus is incredible. They sound like White Lung combined with Dillinger Escape Plan. Super heavy punk, but with some technical touches. Their singer is a powerhouse. Their debut just came out this month and I can't stop listening to it.
Checked this out because of your recommendation.
Excellent stuff.

Hasn't been a lot of 'heavier' music this year I am excited about.
(Except for Brutalism by Idles.)

Call Me Maybe was a fucking banger. I don't think she's really viewed that way to be honest.

If anything, she was probably unlucky that it came out so soon after Friday. She probably got unfairly lumped in with that song.

She came from the reality tv world, right or wrong that perception will be there. Very few have shaken that.

She was on Canadian Idol (a real thing and not a How I Met Your Mother joke, much to my surprise) and ended up in third place, good enough to get label attention. Luckily for everyone she had real talent, so when she gained greater creative control on album #2, good things happened. Kiss wasn't terrible though; Tiny Little Bows and Call Me Maybe are really good songs at least.

Even Carly's incredible charm couldn't save Good Time though, mostly because Owl City is a black hole of charisma.

Got a sweet sweet haul at Amoeba. Aside from the Sufjan vinyls, Mac DeMarco and Aquemini, (and the picture disc I guess,) these are all second-hand. Awesome.

Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
Randy Newman - Sail Away (picked this up when I was hunting with LM, he described it as what Father John Misty is aiming for, which should mean I'll love it)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (I actually only own five PF albums, this is the sixth, long overdue)
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack (only heard the Queen hits, never actually heard a Queen album)
The Cure - Disintegration (never heard a Cure album)
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (very familiar with a Dire Straits best of and Alchemy, which fucking rules, but never heard an album)
The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers (not heard the first two albums)
Sufjan Stevens - The BQE
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go (never heard anything of theirs)
Sade - Love Deluxe (saw this got a 9.something on Pitchfork recently)
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Paul Kelly & The Messengers - Comedy (Paul Kelly is arguably Australia's best-ever singer-songwriter, but I've only heard his two bestofs)
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (from Laz)
Mac DeMarco - This Old Dog
Joe Goddard - Electric Lines (found a promo copy of this in the rack, a 'not for sale' media copy, saved me like 10 bucks)
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (only heard the hits/bestof, not an actual album)
Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar
Pavement - Brighten the Corners (from Laz)
Beck - Odelay
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Outkast - Aquemini (a mate of mine "borrowed" my copy)
TV on the Radio - Dear Science (long overdue, been meaning to get this since DLZ was in Breaking Bad)
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark (a very specific LM recommendation)
The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society

[tweet]869517328744038400[/tweet]

Very excited about quite a few of these. Been meaning to get the Kinks, Dylan, Cure, Van Morrison records for quite a while.

I've been listening to a lot of Tom Waits again lately. That's usually a sign that things aren't going well and I guess it's partially true. His music, like Neil Young's mid-70s ditch trilogy, is medicine for me.

On a purely musical level, Rain Dogs isn't my favorite Tom Waits album, but I think it has his best lyricism and I've been catching more of it on subsequent listens. 9th and Hennepin is probably my favorite song of his from a lyrical perspective, but this verse from Time really hit me tonight:

They all pretend they're orphans
And their memory's like a train
You can see it getting smaller as it pulls away
And the things you can't remember
Tell the things you can't forget
That history puts a saint in every dream
She said she'd stick around
Until the bandages came off
But these mama's boys just don't know when to quit
And Matilda asks the sailors 'are those dreams
Or are those prayers?'
So just close your eyes, son
This won't hurt a bit

Last edited:
Randy Newman - Sail Away
The Cure - Disintegration
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Beck - Odelay
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Outkast - Aquemini
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society

Every last one of these is in my top 50-100 or so, I hope you find some new favorites in this batch as well. :up:

I've been weird with Waits. Adore Swordfishtrombones but haven't listened to it in years. Closing Time I adore but I've not sat down enough with his next four albums (I got them in a box set for 20 bucks). Bad As Me was tremendous too. Hope he puts something out again.

The Cure - Disintegration (never heard a Cure album)
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (very familiar with a Dire Straits best of and Alchemy, which fucking rules, but never heard an album)
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go (never heard anything of theirs)

Holy fuck, for once Cobbler didn't Cobbler it. Or did Travis provide appropriate guidance?

Love Over Gold is really all you need from Dire Straits outside of a Best Of and the On the Night live album. "Telegraph Road" is such a fucking incredible song that if everything else Dire Straits had done were worse than Brokencyde I would still rate them.

Holy fuck, for once Cobbler didn't Cobbler it. Or did Travis provide appropriate guidance?

Love Over Gold is really all you need from Dire Straits outside of a Best Of and the On the Night live album. "Telegraph Road" is such a fucking incredible song that if everything else Dire Straits had done were worse than Brokencyde I would still rate them.

Oh wow! I had no idea you were a Dire Straits fan. Like, at all. Awesome :up:

For The Cure and Manic Street Preachers they had a heap of albums so I just pulled up RYM to get the best score :)

Sheer Heart Attack is terrific. I love early Queen.

:) awesome!

I was gonna go for A Night at the Opera / A Day at the Races but they were both a bit more expensive.

Thanks man :)

Hope I don't have to remind you I'm very familiar with Aquemini....

Of course. I just didn't want someone looking through that post and thinking that I don't absolutely adore every note of that album. Listened to it again just yesterday, for the hundredth time.

Also what is On the Night? Surely Alchemy is the definitive Dire Straits live record?

And no, Travis only helped with convincing me to buy Sail Away and Court & Spark.

Of course. I just didn't want someone looking through that post and thinking that I don't absolutely adore every note of that album. Listened to it again just yesterday, for the hundredth time.

Top 10 album for me. Has everything that makes Outkast great on the one record: social-conscious Outkast, party Outkast, gangsta Outkast, slowjam Outkast, introspective Outkast, banger Outkast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom