Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like her song Problems. Or One Less Problem, whatever it's called.

I also really enjoy singing the chorus in an imitation of her. i.e., singing the words with only the barest hint of consonants.

Rihanna's ANTI is a good pop album from this year. Then again I've always been partial to her.

Think it was Laz who mentioned liking it as well.

I think if you piece together a greatest hits for Rihanna you have one of the best pop collections of any artist post 2000.

I recall there being a few other fans here back in the day of 65daysofstatic, if any are still here, have you heard this No Man's Sky video game soundtrack yet? I'm extremely surprised by it, was expecting a bunch of short throwaway tracks. It's a legit album in both length and quality, pretty cool.

Have you played the game? Any initial impressions? The hype for it has been out of control.

The game has been a joy for me. It's a mining/exploration game though, so definitely not for everyone.

I think Lemonade is way overrated. It has a few great songs, most notably at the back of the album, but it's also a bit boring. And it's not that the lyrics are that good they make up for it.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Also now that the new car smell has faded, Lemonade is definitely a bit of a disappointment. No where near as compelling as her previous album which is still one of my favorites of this century.

Beyonce's self-titled was the stronger album and the 93 metascore was over the top, but Lemonade is still better than any album Rihanna will ever put together (judging from her last five at least).

Totally agreed with iYup that Rihanna's greatest hits package will be killer though. She's probably got 15-20 songs I like, just spread out over her career.

Last edited:
Awful new name aside, the new Preoccupations/Viet Cong album is a winner. They've turned into another Chameleons/Interpol-influenced post-punk band, and the world doesn't need another one of those, but the songcraft is quality and the performances are tense. It's nothing new, but very well done.

ANTI, Lemonade and Dangerous Woman are really good pop/Top 40 albums. I'd also add Sia's This is Acting, there are some good songs on that one as well. Not sure if any of them will make my Top 15 list, though.

Awful new name aside, the new Preoccupations/Viet Cong album is a winner. They've turned into another Chameleons/Interpol-influenced post-punk band, and the world doesn't need another one of those, but the songcraft is quality and the performances are tense. It's nothing new, but very well done.

Been looking forward to this one.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure I saw a single article or review of Lemonade that didn't focus more on the (frankly kinda lousy) video/short film or the context of it with regards to social issues or her marriage than the actual songs.

Also Daddy Lessons is the worst song of the year.

Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor...

Seems to me people were reviewing the social context more than the album itself. See also: Blood Orange.

I need to give that Blood Orange album another go, but my first impression was that the music wasn't half as inspiring as the social commentary critics were projecting onto it.

I need to expand my musical horizons a bit. I feel like one of those old people that doesn't know shit about any new bands (I'm only 35). I went through my musical discovery period from 92-98 when I was in my teens. Fortunate to have been there for the Golden Age of 90s Alternative. Since then I have really only gotten into Muse. Coldplay was cool for a couple albums.

I have been in the Wilderness since about 2010 as far as actively seeking out new music. Any suggestions on newer rock bands to check out?

Back
Top Bottom