Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to remember the lyrics of "Breakeven" from the Script 'cause girls liked that song.

but their appeal disappeared real fast. Is that because I matured (compared to highs school me) or is that because the Script was fundamentally bad?

Last edited:
This must be a bumper year for music, there are two albums I've legitimately enjoyed. The PJ Harvey one and the Underworld one.

(David Bowie's Black Star also, but wasn't it technically at the very end of 2015? Anyhow.)

Last edited:
I just remembered this song existed :(

Yeah, that song came up, for me, again after his death. I think Wayne posted something about it. On a somewhat related note - that period of Flaming Lips was somewhat interesting as they were churning out those random singles after Embryonic. This was a really good one:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just now listening to Deerhunter's debut from way back in 2004 despite having owned it for a while. This thing is a blast - like an even more primal Monomania with a bit of Bleach-era Nirvana snottiness. These guys had it from the very beginning.

Just now listening to Deerhunter's debut from way back in 2004 despite having owned it for a while. This thing is a blast - like an even more primal Monomania with a bit of Bleach-era Nirvana snottiness. These guys had it from the very beginning.

You talking Cryptograms or the inappropriately named one I haven't heard?

Yeah, that song came up, for me, again after his death. I think Wayne posted something about it. On a somewhat related note - that period of Flaming Lips was somewhat interesting as they were churning out those random singles after Embryonic. This was a really good one:

https://youtu.be/iOFjDs1Vzzo

Any chance you can find for me what Wayne said about it..? Would be interested to see.

It was a good time. Embryonic (still my #1 Lips album, though Soft Bulletin is probably objectively the best) through until Heady Fwends was about the height of my fandom. I loved all the weird shit, like the blood-infused records, gummy skull EPs and so on. Then he broke up with his wife, started hanging out with two girls in their mid-20s and things have been pretty ordinary since.

Any chance you can find for me what Wayne said about it..? Would be interested to see.

It was a good time. Embryonic (still my #1 Lips album, though Soft Bulletin is probably objectively the best) through until Heady Fwends was about the height of my fandom. I loved all the weird shit, like the blood-infused records, gummy skull EPs and so on. Then he broke up with his wife, started hanging out with two girls in their mid-20s and things have been pretty ordinary since.

I thought he posted something about if on Instagram, but u checked and did not see any mention. Weird.

I was saying to Travis last night that after spending HOURS one afternoon setting up a bunch of Multis on Reddit to try and find new music, and great recommendations, etc, I have NEVER used any of them. So, I went to "Listen to This" today and this was the first thing I listened to, and it honestly might have led to my favorite album of the year:

https://soundcloud.com/fm84/running-in-the-night-feat-ollie-wride-album

There has to be a way to decide what to listen to and what not to. Here's my list of albums I want to hear, and I'm probably missing some.

Moodyman - DJ Kicks
LNZNDRF - s/t
Wild Nothing - Life of Pause
Macklemore - Unruly Mess I've made
DMAs - Hills End
Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
Underworld - Barbara Barbara
The 1975 - I Like it When You Sleep
Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
The Drones - Feelin Kinda Free
Moderat - III
M83 - Junk
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
PJ Harvey - Hope Demolition Project
Brian Eno - The Ship
Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness
The Field - The Follower
Charles Bradley - Changes
Com Truise - Silicon Tare
Toyomu - Imagining The Life of Pablo
Sturgill Simpsons - Sailor's Guide to Earth
Pampa Records - Vol 1
Frankie Cosmos - Next Thing
Kevin Morby - Singing Saw
Kamaiyah - Good Night in the Ghetto
Esperanza Spalding - Emily's Devolution

There's just too much. I think what I'm gonna do is listen to two or three songs off each, and if I really like them, I'll buy the album. I just crossed DIIV's album off because it was nice, but just passing me by. Trying Synthia on now. Stand and Deliver is a good start.
You might hate it, but the new Boxer Rebellion is one of my faves this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Looking at a list of 100 albums or whatever, I'd start by dismissing out of hand any artist or band whose name is a pun or a deliberate misspelling. Ok, I jest. Sort of.

If I didn't appreciate the bands that the dudes from lzndrf come from already, I'd write that stupid, vowel-less name off asa band clearly too douchey to waste my time.

On completely opposite ends of the planet, Keiran and I basically expressed the same thought at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom