Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently there's a new Wire album out. The last few have been excellent and this one likely will follow suit.

Hey Axver (and any other Hotelier fans, but I don't recall there being any others), what do you think of the new songs? I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the highest highs on the last album, but both have still felt very solid and enjoyable.

Hey, IWB, have you heard the new Tiger Army songs? Both are pretty damn solid, I'm pretty impressed on first listen. Very much the quality of their old stuff. Album coming in May.

Hey Axver (and any other Hotelier fans, but I don't recall there being any others), what do you think of the new songs? I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the highest highs on the last album, but both have still felt very solid and enjoyable.

Yeah this is basically my impression too. Soft Animal is my favourite so far. I'm curious to see what Part 2 of Goodness is like because I expect it to build in the way An Introduction leads really well into In Framing.

Yeah this is basically my impression too. Soft Animal is my favourite so far. I'm curious to see what Part 2 of Goodness is like because I expect it to build in the way An Introduction leads really well into In Framing.

What are your favorite songs from the last one, I don't remember any more? The first three and the last song are still so great for me. I have no complaints about the others, but those are my favorites. Suuuuuuch a good throw-back early "emo" type record, yet still accessible for people who have no interest in that kind of music. Great rock album from the last few years.

What are your favorite songs from the last one, I don't remember any more? The first three and the last song are still so great for me. I have no complaints about the others, but those are my favorites. Suuuuuuch a good throw-back early "emo" type record, yet still accessible for people who have no interest in that kind of music. Great rock album from the last few years.

Dendron is what first hooked me, but oh man there is no beating In Framing/Your Deep Rest. The latter has the finest, most hard-hitting lyrics on the whole album. I'm also fond of Discomfort Revisited, and from the album before Home I feel very strongly about Our Lives Would Make a Sad, Boring Movie.

So I lost my mind when they played all five of those songs in a row to end their final Melbourne show last year: The Hotelier Concert Setlist at The Reverence Hotel, Melbourne on December 6, 2015 | setlist.fm

What a gig. They performed on a tiny stage in the front bar of this nice club, it was a last minute show so there were only about 40 or 50 hardcore fans and it was super intimate, I got Our Lives dedicated to me even though they told me two nights earlier that they didn't play it any more... one of my favourite shows ever and I get chills just remembering it.

Hey, IWB, have you heard the new Tiger Army songs? Both are pretty damn solid, I'm pretty impressed on first listen. Very much the quality of their old stuff. Album coming in May.

not yet. i should fix that.

edit: ok this prisoner of the night song is about 2 inches away from descending into del shannon's runaway. can't tell if that's good or bad.

Last edited:
Anyone heard the LNZNDRF album? The Devendorf brothers and someone from Beirut. It is very, very nice on the ears. :up:

He is also one of the two horn players who tours with The National.
I guess we can push that National album back another half decade then.
Aaron Dessner just built his own studio on some rural land north of New York City and has been taking photos of Bryce Dessner and Bryan Devendorf playing in it recently, so there may be hope yet.

Having to wade through a bunch of obese draft fans in Bears and Eagles jerseys the last few days on my commute to work isn't doing a whole lot to change my hatred of the NFL.

There has to be a way to decide what to listen to and what not to. Here's my list of albums I want to hear, and I'm probably missing some.

Moodyman - DJ Kicks
LNZNDRF - s/t
Wild Nothing - Life of Pause
Macklemore - Unruly Mess I've made
DMAs - Hills End
Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
Underworld - Barbara Barbara
The 1975 - I Like it When You Sleep
Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
The Drones - Feelin Kinda Free
Moderat - III
M83 - Junk
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
PJ Harvey - Hope Demolition Project
Brian Eno - The Ship
Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness
The Field - The Follower
Charles Bradley - Changes
Com Truise - Silicon Tare
Toyomu - Imagining The Life of Pablo
Sturgill Simpsons - Sailor's Guide to Earth
Pampa Records - Vol 1
Frankie Cosmos - Next Thing
Kevin Morby - Singing Saw
Kamaiyah - Good Night in the Ghetto
Esperanza Spalding - Emily's Devolution

There's just too much. I think what I'm gonna do is listen to two or three songs off each, and if I really like them, I'll buy the album. I just crossed DIIV's album off because it was nice, but just passing me by. Trying Synthia on now. Stand and Deliver is a good start.

The thing that frustrates me about baby boomer conversations on music forums/audiophile/record collector forums is the conversations that arise out of someone suggesting music of today won't be as memorable 50 years from now the way The Beatles, The Stones, and The Who are still today. It really boils down to the fact that those three had the advantage of emerging in a revolutionary decade that was preceded by many decades of incredible social conservatism in art, culture and music. There was a counter culture of poets, folk singers, and kids who did dig good jazz however.. But I think the biggest thing is that all three of those bands (as well as the many others)benefited by being influenced by 50s rhythm and blues artists. Also, kids in the 60s really didn't have much to distract them as kids do today, so the idea of fully investing themselves in music back then wasn't too far fetched. I dunno. The closest thing(s) to a musical revolution in the last 36 years that could be comparable to seeing The Beatles for the first time is when hip hop broke and the invention of the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'll help you out, Cobbs.

Essential:

The Field - The Follower
Sturgill Simpson - Sailor's Guide to Earth

Good, make it a priority:

Iggy Pop - Post-Pop Depression

Decent but low priority:

LNZNDRF

Mediocre, fans only:

M83 - Junk

Garbage:

Haven't heard the rest. I'm really looking forward to sitting down with that new Eno album.

Last edited:
Deakin's album Sleep Cycle was decent, i'd recommend a listen. I don't know anything about Animal Collective so don't ask me anything about relationship between this album and AC.

I'm really lagged with listening to new music this year and it's scary to think that we are approaching mid year and that in July I turn 39 and begin the countdown to extinction.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

David - I ranted about a similar thing here Stop saying "music isn't as good as it used to be"

I'll help you out, Cobbs.

Essential:

The Field - The Follower
Sturgill Simpson - Sailor's Guide to Earth

Good, make it a priority:

Iggy Pop - Post-Pop Depression

Decent but low priority:

LNZNDRF

Mediocre, fans only:

M83 - Junk

Garbage:

Haven't heard the rest. I'm really looking forward to sitting down with that new Eno album.

See, the two tracks I heard from the 1975 album made me buy it. So this is not all that helpful :lol:

I got media tickets to see Esperanza tho :love:

See, the two tracks I heard from the 1975 album made me buy it. So this is not all that helpful :lol:

There are great songs on it. Too bad it's 75 minutes long and all of it starts to run together by the end.

Last edited:
Moderat III is fantastic. Nothing on there as good as Bad Kingdom but as a whole it's a lot better than II. I think Pitchfork described it as soulful electronic which is spot on.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I haven't heard a note of The 1975 but I was under the impression that they were The Script for today's 15 year old girls.

Back
Top Bottom