Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

is this what you guys wanted?

The single greatest stoner metal song of all time:

My take on lyrics: horrible lyrics don't stand out as much when they are in a foreign language. There's some stuff I don't really mind in English or French that would really make me cringe in Portuguese. And by the same token, it takes more effort to perceive great lyrics in a foreign language.

One of my favourite albums of the year (Fjørt - Kontakt) is in German. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed that I've forgotten my high school German because I can't understand it, or if I should be glad because what if the lyrics suck. But probably if I could understand it the end result would be what you say: I wouldn't mind as much as if it were in English.

Does anyone here actually own all 23 Guided By Voices albums? That quantity of albums is insanity to me., and I think they kick ass.

I posted it in the last thread before it was locked, does anyone have any Bluetooth speaker recommendations? Anything you own and would recommend for music? I listen to most things on my laptop lately, the speakers often aren't as loud as I'd like them to be, and the cheap Bluetooth speaker I have doesn't have the sound quality I'd like it to have. As man of you know, I love-a the Grados and Sennheisers, but it's nice to listen to some music on speakers too.

To be quite honest, I feel like a bit of a fraud claiming to be into this or that artist if:

a. Their lyrics clearly do have some substance
b. I can't really understand what they're singing a lot of the time and don't always feel like sitting scholar-like with a page of lyrics open in front of me

I except stuff like Cocteau Twins or very early R.E.M., where, you might as well forget it. It pretty much is in another language.

Some people, like myself, put less priority on lyrics. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"I don't give a shit about the lyrics, it's all about the drums"- Larry Mullen Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Randon Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

Does anyone here actually own all 23 Guided By Voices albums? That quantity of albums is insanity to me., and I think they kick ass.

I posted it in the last thread before it was locked, does anyone have any Bluetooth speaker recommendations? Anything you own and would recommend for music? I listen to most things on my laptop lately, the speakers often aren't as loud as I'd like them to be, and the cheap Bluetooth speaker I have doesn't have the sound quality I'd like it to have. As man of you know, I love-a the Grados and Sennheisers, but it's nice to listen to some music on speakers too.

I don't. Just 11 albums and about 6 singles. But what's holding me back is that I'm acquiring all their albums on vinyl alone which is hard considering their pre Bee Thousand stuff is hard to get.

Last edited:
I would probably enjoy Sigur Ros a lot less if I could understand the lyrics.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

tumblr_m6xc1trTti1qi2lrlo1_500.gif

Randon Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The interns without cars at my office always order Jimmy Johns for lunch because they deliver. It's a decent sandwich. We just got a Jersey Mikes here which I would say I like better than Jimmy Johns

Last edited:

I don't. Just 11 albums and about 6 singles. But what's holding me back is that I'm acquiring all their albums on vinyl alone which is hard considering their pre Bee Thousand stuff is hard to get.

I don't "own" anything from the reunion onward. But I do have almost all of the original run on CD (though nothing before Propeller), including some rare EPs (like Tigerbomb) and the Hardcore UFOs boxed set.

i've got such mixed feelings over this live cover of "badlands" the dropkick murphys did. i'm just going to assume it's because the song is inherently made to sound like epic live awesomeness, and that since they are actually a very good live band even though their newer music sucks these days that it makes sense. and then i'm just going to totally overlook what a 1) live version of a song 2) a springsteen song was going in their contribution to a cover album about not forgetting your roots. i don't think the people who put this thing together actually mentioned it to any of the bands on it, or who thought this street dogs "gop" version of "glc" was the kind of thing you'd put on there? or i'm not the only one who was so over the concept compilation album in like 2004...

Last edited:
hey speaking of overlooking bad lyrics, here are some i have been overlooking for years. not so much bad, just the most awkward lyrics ever.

still a fantastic album, though. half of my favorite songs of theirs are on it.

I've never eaten at a Jimmy Johns, so no idea if the samiches are any good, but for anyone who likes them, today is customer appreciation day and you can get a sub for $1.00 between 11AM and 3PM

Jimmy John's Selling $1 Subs for First-Ever 'Customer Appreciation Day' | NBC Chicago

Our local Jimmy John's did this promotion a few years back. I remember my mom, sister, step-dad and I going back like 3 different times. Fridge was loaded up with those dinky fucking little subs. I hate Jimmy Johns because of their prices, and the fact that they were the only place near me that delivered, so I was stuck with them when I used to work in the boonies. But that day, and the next few, upon Jimmy Johns, I did feast.

i've never seen a jimmy johns, never mind ate a sandwich at one.

The fuck is a Jimmy John's, except the most generic name for somewhere ever?

At least fucking call it Joey Joe-Joe Jr Shabadoo's.

it's a sandwich chain store. and they don't call it that because that's not how people name things outside of australia.

i figured it was a reference to something i never saw when i read it the 2nd time. didn't care enough to change it. besides, everyone knows if it was actually australians naming it, they would have called it jimmos and left it at that.

Back
Top Bottom