Random Music Talk CXV: Kill Em All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MI0003589292.jpg

I like Ride the Lightening more than Kill Em All or Master of Puppets and you guys gotta deal with it.

I've been listening to a lot of Metallica since the Master of Puppets 30th anniversary on Thursday. My ranking is:

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
...And Justice For All
The Black Album
Kill 'Em All

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've been listening to a lot of Metallica since the Master of Puppets 30th anniversary on Thursday. My ranking is:

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
...And Justice For All
The Black Album
Kill 'Em All

I love that you didn't include anything after Load.

I liked Kill Em All a lot more than I expected to. It's a bit overlong and the production is shit, but I love the energy there. The following three are all good too, with AJFA similarly suffering from awful production. I don't know what they were thinking. Probably drunk as fuck.

The Black Album zzzzzz

I liked Kill Em All a lot more than I expected to. It's a bit overlong and the production is shit, but I love the energy there. The following three are all good too, with AJFA similarly suffering from awful production. I don't know what they were thinking. Probably drunk as fuck.

The Black Album zzzzzz

All of that.

It's interesting to read why there's a drop in quality sound-wise, despite having the same producer as Puppets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...And_Justice_for_All_(album)#Production_and_recording

Steve Thompson, who mixed the album, claims that Ulrich was squarely to blame for the inaudible bass and unusual drums. Thompson wanted to be relieved of his mixing duties when Ulrich presented his ideas on the production, but Thompson was not allowed to leave and received the majority of the criticism for the poor sound quality of the record.

The album was noted for its "dry, sterile" production.[21] Rasmussen said that was not his intention, as he tried for an ambient sound similar to the previous two albums. He was not present during the album's mixing, for which Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero had been hired beforehand. Rasmussen felt that, in his absence from the mixing process, Thompson and Barbiero ended up using only the close microphones on the mix and none of the room microphones, thus causing the "clicking", thin drum sound.[8] Popoff noted that because of the strange production, the bass guitar was nearly inaudible, while the guitars sounded "strangled mechanistic".[22] He saw the "synthetic" percussion as another reason for the album's compressed sound.

No surprise this is Ulrich's fault.

The PJ Harvey track "We Float" is really gorgeous.

Yes. Great finish to a brilliant album.

And Randy Meisner's wife killed Sunday "accidentally" by a shotgun after a domestic violence call at the house earlier in the day.
Sounds like more to the story, who knows.

Kill 'Em All indeed. Who goes today?

Seems like Stories from the City only really disappeared from the set for the Let England Shake your. Makes sense given that it's tone doesn't really fit.

I'm hoping we see some more songs from Stories from the City on her tour for this upcoming album. Plus some tracks from Is This Desire? and Uh Huh Her. Those two are severely underrated.

Yes, yes it is. Easily one of my favourite songs of hers. That's kind of an underrated (?) album that I believe she has herself more or less disowned. Maybe it's her ATYCLB.

What?! I thought Stories from the City/Sea was her most beloved and accessible album. It rules.

Eh, I guess i meant underrated (maybe) by the artist who created it, and also overplayed (maybe).

Actually, there are a number of old school PJ fans who find it too polished and "mainstream". I find the songwriting to be fantastic, and her variety of vocals across the album is impressive.

All of that.

It's interesting to read why there's a drop in quality sound-wise, despite having the same producer as Puppets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...And_Justice_for_All_(album)#Production_and_recording

Steve Thompson, who mixed the album, claims that Ulrich was squarely to blame for the inaudible bass and unusual drums. Thompson wanted to be relieved of his mixing duties when Ulrich presented his ideas on the production, but Thompson was not allowed to leave and received the majority of the criticism for the poor sound quality of the record.

The album was noted for its "dry, sterile" production.[21] Rasmussen said that was not his intention, as he tried for an ambient sound similar to the previous two albums. He was not present during the album's mixing, for which Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero had been hired beforehand. Rasmussen felt that, in his absence from the mixing process, Thompson and Barbiero ended up using only the close microphones on the mix and none of the room microphones, thus causing the "clicking", thin drum sound.[8] Popoff noted that because of the strange production, the bass guitar was nearly inaudible, while the guitars sounded "strangled mechanistic".[22] He saw the "synthetic" percussion as another reason for the album's compressed sound.

No surprise this is Ulrich's fault.

I actually like the sterile production. It really fits the songs and the progressive thrash style they were going for. I just wish the bass was loud enough to be heard...

Some of the guys from Wolf Parade have started this project, and it sounds promising:

Album coming in April, apparently.

and nobody have talked about Brian Johnson quitting AC/DC here? what the hell.

anyway, hearing news about George Martin now kinda feels weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom