Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened, but it didn't really float my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Fair enough. Still think you should hear the album though, I can't imagine you not finding a track or two to love.

So is this Sampha album as good as all the press is saying?

Yes. Especially for a James Blake fan such as yourself; his influence is very obvious in Sampha's music.

So is this Sampha album as good as all the press is saying?
I've talked with Travis at length trying to pinpoint what it is I don't like about the album. The beginning is insanely good, the last two tracks also fantastic, but then something goes way off the tracks and I end up feeling Meh by albums completion. That song about the piano is a huge turn off for me, as I think it's a clear play to be a smash hit, and its smack in the middle of the album. Perhaps if I were to listen to the record without the song, I'd enjoy it more.

As is, it's solid, a 7/10 and we'll with the time for the 6 tracks I mentioned alone. Plus, you may enjoy the middle more than I did.

I am yet to hear a better song this year than that song :shrug:

No, it's not. I've heard lots of terrible songs and that isn't one of them.
It's pure corn and if it were by someone like John Legend you wouldn't bat an eye at it. I like the song, but it's an obvious bid for a smash hit (probably will be one) and it doesn't fit in the album.

I love John Legend and a good song is a good song. I wouldn't have had Ariana in my list for 2016 otherwise.

It's definitely obvious and sure, corn, but it's brilliantly executed, and I'm surprised you of all people being the pop fan you are not defending it! :lol:

I love John Legend and a good song is a good song. I wouldn't have had Ariana in my list for 2016 otherwise.

It's definitely obvious and sure, corn, but it's brilliantly executed, and I'm surprised you of all people being the pop fan you are not defending it! [emoji38]
I said I enjoy it. But the best song of the year? That's hilariously overblown hype. I already said the thing I don't like about it is that it destroys the pacing of the album.

There's nothing to defend when I'm not saying I dislike the song. I dislike it's placement on the album and the obvious nature of what it is.

I picked up Madonna's Immaculate Collection on vinyl as an impulse buy. Listening to it now you realize what a tremendous collection of singles she had through the 80s.

I said I enjoy it. But the best song of the year? That's hilariously overblown hype. I already said the thing I don't like about it is that it destroys the pacing of the album.

There's nothing to defend when I'm not saying I dislike the song. I dislike it's placement on the album and the obvious nature of what it is.

I agree on the pacing and sound of the album actually, it's completely incongruous, but I wish the rest of the album sounded more like No One Knows Me Like the Piano.

Hope you guys saw the Tribe performance at the Grammys.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That Tribe performance was super good. Chance gave me chills though. God damn.

Beyonce sings two of the three worst songs on the album loaded with the indulgent spoken word stuff that was the worst thing about the film. No thanks.

Beyonce's performance was visually stunning, but I got bored halfway through.

I liked Alicia Keys and Maren Morris.

There are always acts now that I'm unfamiliar with, but I at least have heard the name. Swear to god, never even heard of this Lukas Graham kid.

I feel old.

I DVR'd it. Fucking awesome. The mixing was terrible, but the message came through loud and clear.

There seemed to be a few technical issues last night, yeah (hello, Metallica/Gaga performance).

But I too liked the Tribe performance. Like you said, the message was excellent.

I also thought Bruno Mars' Prince tribute was great, and the Time was fun. The audience could've shown a bit more energy in their dancing along, though :p.

Oh my god, when they cut to the audience during The Time and those guys were doing the dance? That was awesome.

Did not care AT ALL for the song choice or arrangement for the George Michael tribute. It was weird.

Back
Top Bottom