Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even Stapp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
should I still love Dimebag as a guitar player or should I just stop liking any Pantera related stuff, like idea of domination?

should I still love Dimebag as a guitar player or should I just stop liking any Pantera related stuff, like idea of domination?

is that a serious question? listen to whatever you want, man. if people can delude themselves into thinking it's okay to still like the first skrewdriver album and not be racist, you can still listen to whatever you want. especially when dimebag is too dead to speak up.

Last edited:
Hellhammer is a fucking great drummer though.

And, hell, Varg did some pretty good stuff as Burzum. He's a truly abominable person, but that hasn't stopped him recording good black metal.

varg vik-thing is the one who killed the guitarist, right? or did he just burn the churches? i can't remember. i enjoyed some mayhem, but i have no idea what they were singing about. :shrug:

Yeah, Varg killed Euronymous, is generally a white supremacist fuckwit, and I think is implicated in the church burnings. Right piece of work. But also a halfway decent musician.

i liked that darkthrone album...under a funeral moon i think?

i ran into a person in the star wars old republic game who named their character after varg, and my single greatest general chat moment was when i told this guy who was talking shit to shut up don't you have some churches to burn or something?

Last edited:
It's been so long since I listened to that, I've forgotten what I think of it. I need to get back in touch with the classics of Norwegian black metal.

On an unrelated note, would it horrify the non-Australians here to know I'm cooking with kangaroo tonight? Damn our coat of arms is delicious.

they have meat on them, i assume it's kinda like venison?

i forget what the other less church-burny band i liked was. immortal or someone?

i don't know, there's something about early 90s norweigan black metal that's incredibly easy to listen to while falling asleep. probably cos it's close enough to white noise without being all cheese grater-y.

I think my favourites are Emperor and Ulver. From the former, Ihsahn is one hell of a guitarist, and from the latter Garm is just crazy talented. Ulver's Bergtatt is the nineties black metal album for me.

'Roo can be used in place of beef - and to be honest I think it tastes better, and it's healthier. It's a very lean meat. I always buy 'roo mince, sausages, etc.

On an unrelated note, would it horrify the non-Australians here to know I'm cooking with kangaroo tonight? Damn our coat of arms is delicious.

Nah. Every area of the world has their variety of animals they like to eat. I've not been all that adventurous in eating various types of meat, but I imagine kangaroo could be good if cooked right.

I think my favourites are Emperor and Ulver. From the former, Ihsahn is one hell of a guitarist, and from the latter Garm is just crazy talented. Ulver's Bergtatt is the nineties black metal album for me.

'Roo can be used in place of beef - and to be honest I think it tastes better, and it's healthier. It's a very lean meat. I always buy 'roo mince, sausages, etc.

going to listen to this bergtatt thing before we get into dream theater misery. yes i can see why you like this already. :lol:

I remember the time when I was working for this postdoc who was absolute animal rights activist type and she was vegan and made sure that all the products she uses are produced without animal experiments. and now we're talking about kangaroo and eating them.

The amazing part about Bergtatt is that they were all only about 18 years old. And it's written in archaic Dano-Norwegian. Yet it manages to escape the whole teenage pretention thing and is one of the most influential black metal albums ever, especially on bands I love like Agalloch and Alcest.

its kinda unrelated, but do you guys know the band named Intronaut? I'm starting to checking them out and their latest album that came out last year sounds pretty amazing

its kinda unrelated, but do you guys know the band named Intronaut? I'm starting to checking them out and their latest album that came out last year sounds pretty amazing

I remember listening to their earlier stuff at the height of my metalhead years but it never stuck with me. I think a bit too hyper-technical for my tastes?

i have no idea who they are. but i don't really listen to a lot of metal.

I remember listening to their earlier stuff at the height of my metalhead years but it never stuck with me. I think a bit too hyper-technical for my tastes?

I was avoiding technical stuff as well but I built up tolerance/patience over the years, apparently. I know it's not for everybody but I am starting to see the appeal.

but The Astonishing was still torturous, holy shit

if people can delude themselves into thinking it's okay to still like the first skrewdriver album and not be racist, you can still listen to whatever you want. especially when dimebag is too dead to speak up.

One of my favorite concert memories was at Lollapalooza in 1993, when Rage Against The Machine was touring their first album and was the first band on the schedule for the day. Zach de la Rocha spotted someone up front in the audience wearing a Skrewdriver t-shirt, and proceed to spend 5 minutes interrogating the guy about how much he knew about their political beliefs, why he would show up to a liberal, multicultural festival wearing something like that, etc. It was a glorious public shaming, and from then on I supported Rage despite not being really into their music.

One of my favorite concert memories was at Lollapalooza in 1993, when Rage Against The Machine was touring their first album and was the first band on the schedule for the day. Zach de la Rocha spotted someone up front in the audience wearing a Skrewdriver t-shirt, and proceed to spend 5 minutes interrogating the guy about how much he knew about their political beliefs, why he would show up to a liberal, multicultural festival wearing something like that, etc. It was a glorious public shaming, and from then on I supported Rage despite not being really into their music.

that is pretty great.

Genuine question. I've seen a smattering of Gilmore Girls' episodes over the past few years, a friend is really into that show. If I were looking to dive in, where should I start? I've heard Season 2 is a good starting point?

How is this even a question? Have you watched television before? Start with Season 1 Episode 1 and fucking watch the show like it was meant to be watched. Is that a difficult concept? A good "starting point"? Ummm how about when the show started? Jesus fucking Christ. Ridiculous. What's a good point to dive in?!? Hahahahahhahahaha.

TV shows aren't like bands. You don't just jump into the 2nd or 3rd season like you'd jump into the 2nd or 3rd album by a band. It's a different kind of story. Much more specific. Specific relationships, developments, mysteries, angles, narrative arcs, goals, locations, points of dialogue and reference. These carry on from season to season. And you miss out if you just jump in on Season 2 or 3. If you've ever jumped into a TV show past S1 E1 you're a dipshit and I have no respect for you and you haven't really truly seen that show and you can kiss my whole ass.

Last edited:
How is this even a question? Have you watched television before? Start with Season 1 Episode 1 and fucking watch the show like it was meant to be watched. Is that a difficult concept? A good "starting point"? Ummm how about when the show started? Jesus fucking Christ. Ridiculous. What's a good point to dive in?!? Hahahahahhahahaha.

Yeah mang, I've absolutely watched television. Some shows have really shitty first seasons and then pick up momentum. The first season of the Simpsons really sucked.

But hey, fuck someone asking a genuine question, right?

Yeah mang, I've absolutely watched television. Some shows have really shitty first seasons and then pick up momentum. The first season of the Simpsons really sucked.

But hey, fuck someone asking a genuine question, right?

I watched most of Gilmore Girls by proxy because my partner was going through the series. IMO it comes down to how much tolerance you have for Lauren Graham's character, who is about as obnoxious a human being as ever has been depicted on TV. The story arcs are pretty static as far as I could tell, so I would say it doesn't really matter where you start. Just my opinion.

New St. Lucia album is everything musically I'd hope Chvrches would have put on their second album. Just came out yesterday but this is some rad stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom