Random Music Talk CXI: W Sellin' VW To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to guess he's probably at work? Maybe someone made him get off the Internet and do work.

(Sent from work)

A jumper on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge this morning slowed my commute to a crawl. Kind of freaky to drive by and see, though. The woman had climbed over the railing and was just hanging onto the cables on the outside of the bridge. Apparently took another three hours to talk her down.

I remember that happening on the ship canal bridge in Seattle shortly after I moved here. I was so depressed hearing about how angry commuters started telling her to jump.

:(

(She jumped but lived, if I recall correctly.)

You guys, I met Mikal on Sunday and lived to tell the tale.

... there's not much of a tale. We had a very Wisconsin lunch (burgers, cheese curds, shakes at a burger joint across the street from Lambeau), his daughter is adorable and goofy. :)

I can't say I'm a huge Joanna Newson fan, but I like both the song and the Paul Thomas Anderson-directed video.

A few years ago a father threw his four-year-old daughter off a bridge here in Melbourne in full view of traffic. It was horrific.

How could a pedestrian be in a VW?

and I'm assuming you missed the Travis Bickle reference as well, Courtney Barnett wouldn't have

I have no idea who Travis Bickle is.

The video is great. The song is okay - the first two thirds of it remind me of the bad parts of "Have One On Me", but it builds to a really nice climax, and I'm sure the beginning will grow on me with time.

I haven't listened to her older stuff. Does she usually sound like she's trying to ape Fiona Apple?

I think Apple's music is a lot simpler, less complex, more in the realm of "singer songwriter" than Newsom's, which I think fits more in the realm of "complex longform composer". I hear much more of Roy Harper or even Peter Hammill in Newsom's music than I hear of Fiona Apple.

/pretentiouspost

A few years ago a father threw his four-year-old daughter off a bridge here in Melbourne in full view of traffic. It was horrific.

I have no idea who Travis Bickle is.

People are shitty. Some lady here a year or so ago was caught walking her kids she'd covered in paint down to the river to try to drown them.

Why am I not surprised you've never seen Taxi Driver? Disappointed, but not in the least bit surprised.

The video is great. The song is okay - the first two thirds of it remind me of the bad parts of "Have One On Me", but it builds to a really nice climax, and I'm sure the beginning will grow on me with time.

I think Apple's music is a lot simpler, less complex, more in the realm of "singer songwriter" than Newsom's, which I think fits more in the realm of "complex longform composer". I hear much more of Roy Harper or even Peter Hammill in Newsom's music than I hear of Fiona Apple.

/pretentiouspost

Yeah, from the little I know her music I think Newsom sounds more baroque than Fiona Apple. The harp playing reinforces this a little.

I need to listen to Ys again, I haven't done so in years.

Joanna sings like Lisa Simpson but her music is really nice sometimes.

If she could capture 1% of the anger and raw emotion that Fiona did with The Idler Wheel, she might be one of my favorite artists. But her music has always felt a bit precious and stiff to me. Not her voice, which is very vulnerable, but the compositions and songwriting. It's like I'm watching the whole thing unfold behind glass. That's not what I want from a singer/songwriter.

Thing is, her fans always talk about how much her music moves them, so that's cool. It's hugely subjective.

Last edited:
I think Joanna Newsom is in a whole other league than Fiona Apple and certainly Tori Amos - and I say that as a fan of both (well, Tori's early stuff anyway). She is not trying to ape anybody.

Like many, I found her vocal style annoying until I saw her open for Bjork at Red Rocks. My God, I fell under her spell so fast, as did the entire audience. An opener capturing the attention of a sold out Red Rocks audience is no easy feat but everyone was completely, utterly rapt. Any issues with her vocal style just melted away underneath the power of her charm and brilliance. I can't even explain it. I was blown away.

But LeMel makes a good point about "watching the whole thing unfold behind glass." I get that, but she is different live, is all I can say. There's a twinkle in her eye that is warm and a bit mischievous (not seen in the performance below but TV is different).

Here is a live performance of one of my favorite Newsom songs. Probably won't garner any new fans but it's a beautiful song. I had to listen to whole records rather than random songs before I really got into her music outside of the Red Rocks performance. That said, I still have to to be in the mood for her. Anyway, looking forward to hearing the new record.

Last edited:
The Chelsea Wolfe album didn't register with me at all. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood. I don't think a nice summer morning is the best setting for her music.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

The Chelsea Wolfe album didn't register with me at all. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood. I don't think a nice summer morning is the best setting for her music.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I listened to it at work yesterday while I was doing the most mindless part of my job and the album barely registered with me at all, either. That's...not great, since I really didn't have anything else to focus my attention on. Maybe I just didn't know what I was in for, or what, but I just wasn't feeling it at all.

Back
Top Bottom