Random Music Talk CVIII: Enhanced with a string section...maybe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I count 14 Dunkin Donuts off the top of my head in Springfield, MA. 5 of which are 24 hour.

1 Starbucks. And I'm fairly certain they close before 10.

That's another thing - you couldn't find pot coffee if you searched for weeks here. Even the dodgiest bars, eateries, whatever all have espresso-based coffee

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So I'll go visit Martha, but Australia is clearly out of the question. I had a cappuccino once. It was gross.

(I'm exaggerating here, I'll probably never visit Australia for geographical and financial reasons, it's just amusing to me to claim so for the coffee selections)

People who buy coffee from chains are considered to be at least two social rungs below people who talk to themselves on trains/trams in Melbourne. Fact.

Yep.

Buying coffee from a chain is like claiming you're taking the family out for dinner at a nice restaurant and then taking them through the drive-through at McDonald's.

I have maccas at least once a week. I seriously love it. And the moral superiority from those who don't eat it makes it even better.

I listened to that new Future Islands song, quite good. I probably shouldn't have dismissed them so quickly. I do like Seasons.

But as for best new song I've heard today, that would go to this. Imps made me aware of it and I'm just trying to pick up the scraps of my face which were blown all over the office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbJY2CjrUI

I have maccas at least once a week. I seriously love it. And the moral superiority from those who don't eat it makes it even better.

Eh, I'll grab it if I'm travelling somewhere with few options and need something quick, especially at an odd hour when nothing much is open, but I've no idea why I would get it in Melbourne. I'm guessing you might go to the Barkly Square Macca's, but why even bother when Schnitz is literally next door? Far better food for barely any greater price or lengthier wait.

Oh actually, I tell a lie - when I'm really drunk I do have a weakness for stumbling into that Barkly Square Macca's at about 1am and getting some chicken nuggets to eat on the stagger home.

Dunno about Maccas, but the occasional KFC has as yet failed to cause the sky to fall. Of course I live in a city with no appreciable public transport, so I'd have to be sober, by definition, to get to where it is.

McDonald's chicken nuggets aren't exactly what I'd call food. And this is coming from someone who occasionally eats hot dogs.

Still never eaten anything at KFC.

Yeah, in Sydney I would never go to a chain...partially because the biggest chain funds Hillsong Church, but also because you can only get expensive coffee, so you might as well get a good one.

Also, Tim Horton's > Dunkin' Donuts.

EDIT: also, Maccas and KFC aren't exactly great, but they're not going to immediately kill me upon consumption.

There is a chain here called El Pollo Loco. I am told that it's about to explode throughout the whole country. I hope that's true. It's heaven.

Ehh I tried Schnitz once and was underwhelmed. Dry chicken, ordinary chips.

Maccas I eat at least once a week. I still remember having it in Brooklyn after going the trip prior without having it and I sat there in a wonderful food coma afterwards. Even better than ours. Also like Hungry Jacks (Burger King) although I don't agree with their slogan that their burgers are better. KFC is good but often leaves me feeling pretty ordinary afterwards (what I've dubbed the k hole).

At the footy on Saturday I had Red Rooster chicken strips and chips, plus a 4'n'20 meat pie, and I felt sick for the rest of the day. Normally love them but you can't expect quality at the footy I guess.

Must've gone on a really bad day to Schnitz, Cobbler, because the seasoning on their chips makes them probably the best of all the fast food options when they're hot and fresh. Their wraps are pretty good too, but it's the chips that get me coming back.

I rarely eat Hungry Jack's because it's so obviously inferior to Burger King in New Zealand (can't speak for other Burger Kings), which has a much broader and better menu.

And oh man Red Rooster, now that deserves all the condescension it gets. Consistently the worst fast food in Australia.

Hey, has Melbourne become inundated with burger joints lately? They seem to keep popping up here in Sydney and the lunch time queues of 30 minutes aren't quite indicative of their quality. Great for a quick, early dinner though.

Hip hop hoople heads: Do I listen to Black on Both Sides or Black Star first?

Cheers.

Anywhere that's puts the emphasis on the ground beef over wacky toppings is heaven for me.

I feel there's potential for a sub thread here based on the most shameful food you've eaten after a night out. So much regret.

I don't get the whole obsession with trying to put bacon and eggs, macaroni and cheese, or seafood salad on burgers. Some lettuce, tomato, onion and ketchup is all you need. Or mushrooms and Swiss cheese, also acceptable (often preferable).

Yeah, the meat's gotta be done with care. I've also become a huge fan of mustard, really helps tip a burger up a notch for me.

And hell yes on Grill'd. Tried it for the first time last year expecting the world and was quite underwhelmed. The burgers are usually dry and bland.

Can also agree on Burger King NZ's range over HJs, although I love HJs still (except they must have this fucking policy whereby they don't salt the fucking chips and I always have to get the sachets.

You've got to be tasteful with your burgers, or you've got to go completely balls to the wall with it - either keep it to two or three ingredients, or give me the entire fucking menu in between the bread. If you don't have at least two fruits on your burger you don't have the entire menu on it. No in between. In Scotland I had a burger with like twelve ingredients on it - a beef patty, a chicken patty, a touch of haggis, HP sauce. It was luverly.

For me, it'd be beef, bacon, cheese, onion and tomato sauce. Absolutely no eggs thank you.

Spotify is really letting me down tonight. Who knew they wouldn't have every album from the more obscure, now-defunct street punk bands that I used to listen to 10 years ago. Ok, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all. But the Internet knows all, right? Struck out on Squared Off, Sharky Doyles, Bloodstained Kings, Armed Suspects, Black Star Brigade, and a handful of others. Neither of the two Born to Lose (the Texas one) albums I wanted to listen to, either.

I need to remember this every time I consider getting rid of my CDs, because apparently that's still the only way I'm going to be able to go back to all that stuff.

You've got to be tasteful with your burgers, or you've got to go completely balls to the wall with it - either keep it to two or three ingredients, or give me the entire fucking menu in between the bread. If you don't have at least two fruits on your burger you don't have the entire menu on it. No in between. In Scotland I had a burger with like twelve ingredients on it - a beef patty, a chicken patty, a touch of haggis, HP sauce. It was luverly.

For me, it'd be beef, bacon, cheese, onion and tomato sauce. Absolutely no eggs thank you.

Just to double check--I believe we've been over this before, but you guys call ketchup tomato sauce, right? You're not putting the sauce that goes on pasta on top of your burgers, are you?

Haggis will always scare the fuck out of me, but I almost ate some at a Scottish festival once. Can't really be scared when hot dogs are technically scarier.

I love a good burger and Melbourne has some really excellent burger places, but to be honest I often go out thinking "I'm going to have a damn good burger tonight" and end up wandering into a pub and getting a parma instead. Because Melbourne is Parma Heaven on Earth so why wouldn't you.

And hell yes on Grill'd. Tried it for the first time last year expecting the world and was quite underwhelmed. The burgers are usually dry and bland.

Oh man if you want to talk mediocre chips, Grill'd really know how to serve them up limp and lukewarm.

Can also agree on Burger King NZ's range over HJs, although I love HJs still (except they must have this fucking policy whereby they don't salt the fucking chips and I always have to get the sachets.

There should be a law against places that don't properly salt the chips.

Fuck it, I'm just going to listen to some Tiger Army and try to remember the next time I'm at home to be all musically nostalgic where my external hard drive can do the work for me.

Just to double check--I believe we've been over this before, but you guys call ketchup tomato sauce, right? You're not putting the sauce that goes on pasta on top of your burgers, are you?

Haggis will always scare the fuck out of me, but I almost ate some at a Scottish festival once. Can't really be scared when hot dogs are technically scarier.

Yeah, ketchup = tomato sauce. (I'm not sure if catsup is the same?) Although putting pasta sauce on a burger doesn't sound terrible...:hmm:

Haggis is fine! The only issue with it is it's kind of peppery, in a way a lot of other stuff isn't. I'm far more scared of eggs, but maybe that's just a weird phobia I have.

Because Melbourne is Parma Heaven on Earth so why wouldn't you.

Stop bragging. :(

It's pretty weird how we call a sauce made out of tomatoes "tomato sauce", isn't it?

Pasta sauces here will usually be referred by their specific name - napoli, bolognese, amatriciana, whatever. Perhaps unless you buy that shit in a jar, but I wouldn't know because it's so damn easy to make your own fresh pasta sauces.

Probably seems strange to me because a) I don't know the difference between various kinds of pasta sauces so i'm partial to my blanket term "tomato sauce" and b)most ketchup (yeah catsup is the same thing, or at least where I'm from it's just what your weird elderly relative might insist on calling the ketchup) tastes pretty far from tomatoes due to all the sugars and corn starches and whatever else they put in that stuff to make it taste how it does. Kind of like the way "blue raspberry" flavor maybe vaguely, but not really resembles a raspberry.

Marinara sauce, I guess. But that just generally means to me that it's going to be kind of watery, shitty sauce from tomatoes that probably has too much salt in it.

Yeah, ketchup = tomato sauce. (I'm not sure if catsup is the same?) Although putting pasta sauce on a burger doesn't sound terrible...:hmm:

Haggis is fine! The only issue with it is it's kind of peppery, in a way a lot of other stuff isn't. I'm far more scared of eggs, but maybe that's just a weird phobia I have.

Stop bragging. :(

No, now that I think about it, some sort of tomato-based pasta sauce on a burger with some mozerrella is something I would totally eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom