Random Music Talk CVII - At Home with Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine everyone has a few songs that you think are super profound when you are young, then realize are terrible as you get older. Aerosmith's Dream On is one such song for me.

They had a great sound for the '70s. Then their raw sound took a back seat to slick production after their comeback in '87.

As I've said every time we mention Aerosmith, I have always and will always hate that band.

And I always say, the most unimportant of all the "classic" bands.

Everything post-Toys In The Attic is redundant or embarrassing.

The fact that so many of their hit songs are written by Diane Warren should earn them a lot more scorn than it does. It's one thing for a solo pop act to go this route, but for a band made up of musicians who write and play? Inexcusable and desperate.

Everything post-Toys In The Attic is redundant or embarrassing.

Nah. Rocks is a darker, heavier and better record. One of the best hard rock albums I've heard, honestly.

After Rocks, sure. Although I would argue Pump is a very good album and all of their albums have a handful of songs I like, Rocks is the last Aerosmith record that's essential.

I'm gravitating toward Laz's position on Aerosmith. Not only are they unimaginative and plodding, but they also seem to bear significant guilt for spawning a plethora of shithouse hair metal and cockrock bands of the likes of Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, etc.

I'm gravitating toward Laz's position on Aerosmith. Not only are they unimaginative and plodding, but they also seem to bear significant guilt for spawning a plethora of shithouse hair metal and cockrock bands of the likes of Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, etc.

Yep.

GET AROUND THE FUCKING NEW ZEALAND BLACK CAPS lNTERFERENCE!!!

Even though I know nothing of the sport, I'm really happy for you, Ax. Been a shitty couple of weeks for you and a spirit booster was needed.

Even though I know nothing of the sport, I'm really happy for you, Ax. Been a shitty couple of weeks for you and a spirit booster was needed.

This cricket team, I swear to god, I'm speechless. It's pretty much the only thing that's made me smile all March. I'm so proud of my little country right now.

To make this RMT-appropriate, I'm sitting here cranking heaps of great Kiwi music right now. I've never been happier to embrace Dave Dobbyn's Loyal and Slice of Heaven. And The Bats, The Chills, The Clean, The Mutton Birds, Shihad, everything, with some great Central Otago pinot noir (some made by my dad, some made on my family's historic property), this is one hell of an evening.

I have zero use for pretty much every single one of those bands. Absolutely no interest. I'll drunkenly sing along to I Was Made For Loving You or whatever at a pub but I have never understood how people can enjoy them on any level deeper than that.

Bon Jovi will always be number 1 for me.

Zoots didn't make it better.

but they also seem to bear significant guilt for spawning a plethora of shithouse hair metal and cockrock bands of the likes of Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, etc.
No. If you want to point to a singular band for spawning the so called "hair metal" bands its definitely Van Halen, not Aerosmith.
Look at how many of the 80's LA scene bands had blond lead singers trying to be David Lee Roth and how many guitarists tried their own interprtatino of Eruption and the like.

Had Aerosmith never reformed in the 80's and the body of work ended at say Night in the Ruts, they'd be remembered fondly as a classic hard rock band that faded on its last 2 albums (especially Night in the Ruts, Draw the Line had some great moments still) and we'd never be having this discussion. Even if they called it quits after Pump (Permanent Vacation and Pump are decent efforts),the narrative would remain largely positive. Its beyond that where it goes south fast, spearheaded by "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing".

The fact that so many of their hit songs are written by Diane Warren should earn them a lot more scorn than it does. It's one thing for a solo pop act to go this route, but for a band made up of musicians who write and play? Inexcusable and desperate.

Thats a bit of an exagerration, Diane Warren wrote 2 songs that Aerosmith recorded (one of which nobody knows)and collaborated on a 3rd. Just happens their first #1 single was written by her.
Now if you used Desmond Child in your criticism you'd have more of a case.

osheaga_2015_240315_ang_hires_1000px_rgb3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom