Random Music Talk CVI: Leave Kanye Alone!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else heard the new Purity Ring album yet? It's pretty great.

Just left a meeting where the phrase "our brand needs to live across all platforms as part of a discovery and audience acquisition eco-system" was used.

Editorial is completely changing. News and sport are out, "where in Melbourne does the best coffee?" is in. We were completely blindsided. Our EBA states we are meant to be consulted re changes, but we all walked into a meeting this morning and were told how we were going to be working from now on. We were told "NO JOB LOSSES :)" but the editorial team mostly consists of hard news journalists and two sports writers and all of our jobs are completely changing, taking us away from the paths we had set for ourselves.

So it was a great fucking morning.

It's too cold for me to remember how to post a picture. And for some reason my phone thinks I'm in a nearby town rather than where I actually am.

Anybody else heard the new Purity Ring album yet? It's pretty great.

I don't really like it. They sound like a cute little Passion Pit-esque electropop band and a lot of the creepy lyrics and witch house influence has been minimized (it's not even a secondary for this one on RYM). Just not the direction I hoped they would go in.

I don't really like it. They sound like a cute little Passion Pit-esque electropop band and a lot of the creepy lyrics and witch house influence has been minimized (it's not even a secondary for this one on RYM). Just not the direction I hoped they would go in.

I saw your rating on RYM just after I made that post and was surprised. I'd say it's better than the first album and certainly more consistent. Not sure where you're getting the Passion Pit vibe from, and the lyricism seems fairly similar to me.

I saw your rating on RYM just after I made that post and was surprised. I'd say it's better than the first album and certainly more consistent. Not sure where you're getting the Passion Pit vibe from, and the lyricism seems fairly similar to me.

It's a very...bright record. Lots of reviews mention it as the light to Shrines' dark and it's a little grating to me. Corin's vocals are brought way up to the forefront which doesn't do her any favors. I'm not going to call it a sellout record because it's very firmly entrenched in alternative not mainstream trends, but it's all very streamlined and lacking atmosphere.

I hope the melodies on the album grow on me because it's ultimately the winding vocal hooks that got me into Shrines. Songs like Belispeak, Obedear and Fineshrine are catch as it gets but they don't sound like they should be.

Just left a meeting where the phrase "our brand needs to live across all platforms as part of a discovery and audience acquisition eco-system" was used.

Editorial is completely changing. News and sport are out, "where in Melbourne does the best coffee?" is in. We were completely blindsided. Our EBA states we are meant to be consulted re changes, but we all walked into a meeting this morning and were told how we were going to be working from now on. We were told "NO JOB LOSSES :)" but the editorial team mostly consists of hard news journalists and two sports writers and all of our jobs are completely changing, taking us away from the paths we had set for ourselves.

:hug:

Wait, what? Is your paper completely becoming a society rag? Time to dust off the résumé, I think.

Yes, entirely. Which doesn't make sense, because all the stories we've written that got the most hits have been hard news stories. I have disliked the company for a good year or so now but this has tipped me over the edge. I will be seeking a redundancy (been here three-and-a-half years so should be reasonable) and looking elsewhere.

So, if anyone online is savvy on this kind of stuff and can help me, that would be great. I didn't get around to signing up for health insurance until tonight. I guess it didn't click that I'd need to do that with my job ending. I've been on hold with eHealth for 45 minutes. I don't know if I'm going to get this done before the deadline. Do I get extra time since my job situation just changed?

EDIT: Never mind, all done. OK, so I can't express how much I hate this health care reform act, just for the record. I'm all for socialized health care. But this half measure is just the worst.

I was wondering if it got warmer, or I just got more used to it. Nope, it's -8 right now (windchill -22). I'm going to listen to some old surf music, like the ventures or something, and pretend it's at least 8 degrees out. Cobbler's getting frostbite just doing the conversion to Celsius.

You told me 40F was cold in December when I told you people i was raking leaves in shorts and a tshirt.

So much random weather talk cos it's way colder here right now than I'm accustomed to. I think some asshole swapped out weather with Alaska's. it's 34 degrees in Anchorage right now, which is horseshit.

It was like 85 degrees today and I flipped the AC on for the first time in months last week.

I'm not going to complain because -8 is worse (basically the awful equivalent of 100+), but I liked that whole psuedo-autumn thing we had going on for a couple of months. More of that, please. And some rain would be nice. Isn't it supposed to be, I dunno, the rainy season or something?

Maybe I should just move to the PNW and get it over with.

This wind is killing me. How am I supposed to operate with my hair getting all fouled up every time I have to leave? Also, it being a wind chill of -10 is kind of a pain too.

It's Presidents Day here today in 'merica. But I work today. My commute is usually 2 hours but today I got to work in 40 minutes. I should have known I could have left later.. but no. I got to work very very early and now I am sitting in the parking lot surfing the net. I could go in since I have keys to the place but I want to just chill in my car for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom