Random Music Talk CV: The Human Fund - Money for Leo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listening to The Woods for, I believe, the first time. At first I was taken aback by how abrasive it was, but now that I realize what kind of music it is I'm really enjoying it a ton. I think I was mixing them up with that one dance band from the mid 90s...can't think of their name suddenly, but I know they just recently put out another album and Cori? was all excited about it.

Saint Etienne?

Both bands are fantastic, but yes, VERY different.

The Woods is phenomenal.

I REALLY enjoyed that. I don't really care much for PJ Harvey, who they reminded me a lot of, but for whatever reason these things happen, The Woods really just clicked right into place for me.

I can't believe 'Everything' didn't make it onto The Woods. For years I had a burned CD of it from a friend which appeared to close the album with the aforementioned song (which I guess was a bonus/extra from that period... but not officially part of the album).

I love The Woods precisely because it's so abrasive. I have rarely heard such a full-on rock record in the last ten years. I am a bit more reserved to other Sleater-Kinney albums I've heard (Corin Tucker's voice grates me more on other albums for some reason), but this one is fantastic.

It reminds me in terms of pure energy of PJ Harvey's Dry. Not necessarily my favourite of hers, but an excellent, raw record that is one of the most memorable debut albums of the 90s.

Yeah, I've already bought four albums this week: Sleater-Kinney, Decemberists, Belle and Sebastian, and now Björk.

I think I'll check out the two Viet Cong albums on Beats before I decide whether to buy them.

I need to get all 4 of those.

I've got a bit of catching up to do already it seems..!

Random question, but who here has done CBT? I had always had my doubts but man is it good.

Urban Dictionary: cbt

Not my thing, sorry.

Yes, I've done cognitive behavioral therapy and learned how to administer it along the way to my BA. I took a workshop last semester that dove right into the physiological and emotional impact of self-esteem and automatic thinking. There were other topics covered too, like breathing and visualization exercises, but the CBT aspect of it was my favorite part. It's quite something to step back and realize the shitty, unrealistic stuff you tell yourself all the time without thinking about it.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's the thing that has amazed me the most, just realising how quickly your brain can dive into automatic negative thinking. I never noticed it until I started doing CBT. I laugh sometimes about it now, not because I'm over the hill but because for the first time ever I can recognise it, and when you think about it objectively it's quite funny.

Yeah I think that's the thing that has amazed me the most, just realising how quickly your brain can dive into automatic negative thinking. I never noticed it until I started doing CBT. I laugh sometimes about it now, not because I'm over the hill but because for the first time ever I can recognise it, and when you think about it objectively it's quite funny.

It can be rather funny. And it was quite interesting to break down other people's fears and find out the root of "I'm afraid to speak in front of crowds" is that they're afraid of looking fat or stupid or whatever when in fact they're skinny and have a 4.0. Then they get this look on their face like "huh, never thought of it that way" and you can only shake your head.

The point you want to take away from it is "would I say something this shitty to someone I cared about?" The answer is usually always no.

Haha. I was wondering what else CBT might stand for.

God bless Urban Dictionary.

Absolutely the gold standard therapy for mood and anxiety issues, but unfortunately not what people always get in our fucked up mental health system

It's quicker to prescribe meds and collect your copay than converse with mentally ill people. It's also far riskier and only moderately successful, but hey.

Last edited:
The new Bjork album is damn good - seems to strike a balance between Homogenic and Volta. The opening track is one of the most beautiful things she has done, which is really saying something.

Our heat didn't work in our old place for one day last winter and I thought we were going to die. Are you renting?

Umm yeah not sure about your state laws but in Wisconsin, landlords can face huge penalties for not fixing heat issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we are renting. We're supposed to have someone out to look at it today, but they gave us like a ten hour window in which they would arrive. I work from home so it's not that bad, but I spend almost all my time working listening to music and I can't do that if I'm listening for the doorbell. I'm holed up in my bedroom with a space heater and I'm keeping the door shut to keep the heat in, and our doorbell is mad quiet, so I've gotta be essentially silent just to know they've arrived. First world problems and all. I'll feel better when I eat lunch.

My old housemate would forget to buy oil, or run the woodstove which would confuse the thermostat into thinking the whole house was warm while in reality it would be 48 degrees on average in my room. I don't miss living there, but I have no idea why it never occurred to me to buy a space heater. Probably cos I expected the kid who owned the place to heat it properly (like he didnt learn the first time the pipes in the basement froze and the place flooded).

Yes, we are renting. We're supposed to have someone out to look at it today, but they gave us like a ten hour window in which they would arrive. I work from home so it's not that bad, but I spend almost all my time working listening to music and I can't do that if I'm listening for the doorbell. I'm holed up in my bedroom with a space heater and I'm keeping the door shut to keep the heat in, and our doorbell is mad quiet, so I've gotta be essentially silent just to know they've arrived. First world problems and all. I'll feel better when I eat lunch.

I really hate those wide windows of time. When my mom first moved into her new house, I had to wait nearly all afternoon there for the electrical guy to come out and turn on the power. Which meant I was there with no power. Lots of reading was done. :lol:.

(But once he did come the first thing I did was hook up my record player and listen to "E Street Shuffle" because that was back when my mom lived on E Street :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom