Random Music Talk CV: The Human Fund - Money for Leo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few days ago, I was wandering through Fingerprints and they were playing this album I really liked, called The Best Day, by some guy named Thurston Moore. Never heard of him, but I liked the music quite a bit, so I bought the album. I listened to it today as I drove around and really, really liked most of it.

Just now I looked him up on the 'fork. Huh. Didn't know all that.

Lee Ranaldo's "Between The Times And The Tides" is also a pretty good alt-rock album! It's obviously not noise rock, just good, solid alternative rock stuff.

Girls is a band I really miss. I just kind of shrugged it off when they broke up, but their last album has really grown on me and Christopher Owens' solo albums haven't been any consolation. I hope they make another album at some point.

I agree that Hellhole Ratrace is vastly overrated. Trust me though, Father Son Holy Ghost is a great album; terrific variety and three of 2011's best songs in Alex, Vomit (sounds like a lost Pink Floyd song) and Forgiveness.

Broken Dreams Club EP is really good too. I feel like Carolina was on a DI list at some point.

Last edited:
If you like The Best Day, which is a solid enough album from a guy who has been around in music for 35 years, you should check out Murray Street by Sonic Youth. It's a little masterpiece of a record and sonically similar to The Best Day, with better songwriting and fantastic chemistry between band members.

I agree that Hellhole Ratrace is vastly overrated. Trust me though, Father Son Holy Ghost is a great album; terrific variety and three of 2011's best songs in Alex, Vomit (sounds like a lost Pink Floyd song) and Forgiveness.

Broken Dreams Club EP is really good too. I feel like Carolina was on a DI list at some point.

Not in one DI list, but in two or three DI lists last time around. Fantastic song.

I love their debut as well.

Patti Smith was pretty fucking badass. I was not expecting to enjoy the show so much.

And I had no idea Lenny Kaye still played with her. Nice.

Yes. She apparently posted on her message board saying she was honored that people were willing to wait for the official release and wanted to reward them.

Yeah, it leaked insanely early. Only a handful of options at that point, and usually this is probably the best outcome you can hope for as an artist. I hate when that happens :slant:.

c8b.gif

Listening to The Woods for, I believe, the first time. At first I was taken aback by how abrasive it was, but now that I realize what kind of music it is I'm really enjoying it a ton. I think I was mixing them up with that one dance band from the mid 90s...can't think of their name suddenly, but I know they just recently put out another album and Cori? was all excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom