Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I kind of dug it as well. Going on my wish list.

68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e6769746875622e636f6d2f6173736574732f3535373935322f323134323339322f30343838376237612d393336342d313165332d393435312d3734653431386164646134392e6a7067

:up:
Urban Hymns is one of my favorite albums ever. Velvet Morning, Space and Time, and Lucky Man really got me hooked on them. The only song on it that I don't care for would be Catching The Butterfly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like Butterfly, could have been trimmed a little though.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yet Again and Sun In Your Eyes are my favorite two Grizzly Bear songs

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but on my drive from Utah to Texas (which was incredibly memorable), I decided to listen to Grizzly Bear's song, 'Colorado', as I entered the south west corner of the state. I kept listening to a few random songs of theirs as I drove, and then decided to give all of Shields a listen right as I entered the Ute Reservation. I was maybe a minute or two into 'Sleeping Ute' when I looked to my right and realized I was coming up on Sleeping Ute mountain. Listening to that album as I drove through the barren stretch of land between the Ute and Navajo reservations (made even more barren as snow drifts from a recent storm blew across the road) was incredible, the music seemed like it was made just for that road. I'll never be able to listen to songs from that album again without thinking about it.

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but on my drive from Utah to Texas (which for whatever reason was incredibly memorable and something I think about a lot), I decided to listen to Grizzly Bear's song, 'Colorado', as I entered the south west corner of the state. I kept listening to a few random songs of theirs as I drove, and then decided to give all of Shields a listen right as I entered the Ute Reservation. I was maybe a minute or two into 'Sleeping Ute' when I looked to my right and realized I was coming up on Sleeping Ute mountain. Listening to that album as I drove through the barren stretch of land between the Ute and Navajo reservations (made even more barren as snow drifts from a recent storm blew across the road) was incredible, the music seemed like it was made just for that road. I'll never be able to listen to songs from that album again without thinking about it.

That is perfect, thanks for sharing that.

Your drive was memorable for many reasons, I'm sure. Huge life change, so much unknown ahead of you, lifetime of memories behind, etc. Amazing how music can insinuate itself into your thoughts and memories and lodge itself there, forever. Coincidentally, Shields and Wild Nothing's Nocturne will forever conjure up memories and images of my time living in Germany, as I listen to both albums a lot while there.

Great stuff, Trevor.

That is perfect, thanks for sharing that.

Your drive was memorable for many reasons, I'm sure. Huge life change, so much unknown ahead of you, lifetime of memories behind, etc. Amazing how music can insinuate itself into your thoughts and memories and lodge itself there, forever. Coincidentally, Shields and Wild Nothing's Nocturne will forever conjure up memories and images of my time living in Germany, as I listen to both albums a lot while there.

Great stuff, Trevor.

Very true. It was the first amount of relaxation I'd been able to have in quite a while as well, since packing and the holidays made for a lot of stress at the moment. There'd been a huge snow storm that covered the entire trip in snow until I got quite a ways into Texas. Since much of that landscape is desert with beautiful rock formations, it made the scenery incredible. My dad spent two years on the Navajo reservation when he was young, and I drove directly through a couple places he lived that day and the next, which was also really cool.

I listened to a megaton of music on that drive, think I listened to most every one of my favorite albums from 2014, as well as several of my all time favorites.

While driving through Nebraska on my way to California I listened to Nebraska by Springsteen, but it still didn't do as much for me as his other albums :(.

Very true. It was the first amount of relaxation I'd been able to have in quite a while as well, since packing and the holidays made for a lot of stress at the moment. There'd been a huge snow storm that covered the entire trip in snow until I got quite a ways into Texas. Since much of that landscape is desert with beautiful rock formations, it made the scenery incredible. My dad spent two years on the Navajo reservation when he was young, and I drove directly through a couple places he lived that day and the next, which was also really cool.

I listened to a megaton of music on that drive, think I listened to most every one of my favorite albums from 2014, as well as several of my all time favorites.

Nice. I've only been to Utah once but the scenery was memorable. Very.

I made that 360 song playlist for my LA - NYC drive just over a year ago. When I finished that, I listened to Lost in the Dream a few times.

To those who know them by the Trail of Dead, are they worth seeing live?

To those who know them by the Trail of Dead, are they worth seeing live?

During the height of their popularity I recall watching some live video of one of their songs fairly often and thinking it was good. That was many moons ago.

Kyuss is pretty fucking good driving music if you go for that sort of thing. Which I don't think you do.

I know more than one person who blames speeding tickets on Welcome to Sky Valley.

Kraftwerk's Autobahn album (or at least the lengthy title track) was made specifically to replicate the feeling of high speed driving. An obvious one, but the Drive soundtrack and Passengers are both terrific albums to drive to at night. Xtal by Aphex Twin is my favorite night driving song.

Also, anything by Fleet Foxes.

I don't listen to In Rainbows much, because it's not something I can really just put on, everything about it feels so huge to me. It is just something incredible, it really is. It's been like eight years since I heard Weird Fishes for the first time and yet every time I hear it it still takes me out of my body for five minutes. Would be my #1 song evah if Streets wasn't Streets.

On Grizzly Bear, one of those bands for whom I love a few tunes but nothing more.

On travel and music, I have some extremely fond memories of driving through Canada listening to Beach House, and I cried listening to LCD Soundsystem as I flew into NYC last year.

On the whole music-appropriate-for-environment thing started by mofo, I listened to Sigur Ros (Ágætis byrjun) while flying over Iceland this past night and it was lovely.

Back
Top Bottom