Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the subject of hamburgers, omfg Texas has teh whattaburger an it so gud i want nao

I had Whattaburger when I was in Texas last year and I agree that it was very good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Below are opinions of mine:

Whattaburger is pretty solid.

Steak N Shake is very meh.

I just had Shake Shack for the first time a few weeks ago and I liked it a lot. Not sure you need to be in line for 30 minutes for it, but, there you go.

Five Guys I love, and those fries, fuck.

Nathan's has even better fries, but this is more about burgers.

Fatburger out in LA is ok.

In N Out is really good but not sure it needs to be worshipped like so many do.

But at the end of the day, they're all chains/fast food and you can get better burgers at so many actual restaurants.

Those were my opinions, I'm sure they're all wrong.

It's been so long that I don't remember much about all the random American fast food chains that we don't have down here, except I found it hilarious there's one called Sonic. Their food was fucking awful, just greaseburgers with a side of grease.

Speaking of masochism, forgot to add that I like White Castle. Could be the only person who will eat and enjoy them when sober. That being said, have not had White Castle in at least 4 years, this despite being back in NYC.

I had Maccas tonight ???

paul_mccartney_flipping_the_bird_middle_finger.jpg

There are a few local burger places that I love, love, looooove (tip for Danny Boy, because maybe he knows them: Red Mill, Li'l Woody's).

I liked the burger I had at Five Guys but did not like the fries (too flimsy and greasy. Give me a nice sturdy fry.). Which is probably for the best.

I finally listened to the new Best Coast yesterday on my bike ride - didn't like it. Every song sounded the same to me: 2 power chords strummed on every 8th note during the verses, add distortion in the chorus, grating whiny Freshman Philosophy 101 lyrics.

The only songs that sounded different at all were the title track and the closer.

The title track would be pretty decent if it weren't a total rip off of Star Sail by the Verve with different lyrics (it's even in the same fucking key!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtS_KMsSoDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U5LWokfRHY

I quite liked their first album but was totally underwhelmed by this one. Doubt I'll listen to it again.

I'm not sure how many Li'l Woody's there are around besides the one in Ballard. But god, Red Mill. Even the fires are perfection. :drool:

There was one in Ballard for a few years, but I never made it there. I know there's another one floating around in another neighborhood. I heard good things about it, but honestly, I don't go in for the super fancy burgers with 800 toppings on them, and that was my impression of what they had there.

I finally listened to the new Best Coast yesterday on my bike ride - didn't like it. Every song sounded the same to me: 2 power chords strummed on every 8th note during the verses, add distortion in the chorus, grating whiny Freshman Philosophy 101 lyrics.

I felt the same way on first listen, but it's grown on me. Feeling Okay and California Nights are great tracks.

I finally got around to buying No Come Down a couple weeks ago, and it's amazing. I haven't got a clue how they could have left songs like Where the Geese Go and One Way to Go completely off any albums, although I don't think they would have fit on A Northern Soul very well.

EDIT: I also like the No Come Down mix of Blue much better too, everything's a little clearer and I like the extra effects a lot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I really wish 92-94 Verve had made another album.

The Verve is my favourite band of all time, full stop.

I love A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns, and even most of Forth. A Storm in Heaven/Voyager 1/No Come Down era I like the most though. I think they were at their best when they were being their most experimental. Nick McCabe is, IMO, one of the most underrated guitarists of at least the last 30 years.

I'm always amazed at the kind of shit he's pulling off with just one guitar when I see a video of them live from back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynPJSWyvCDY

EDIT: Even just listen to the first song (Slide Away), it sounds like he's playing 4 guitars at once, live, by himself. Christ almighty.

I love A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns, and even most of Forth. A Storm in Heaven/Voyager 1/No Come Down era I like the most though. I think they were at their best when they were being their most experimental. Nick McCabe is, IMO, one of the most underrated guitarists of at least the last 30 years.

I'm always amazed at the kind of shit he's pulling off with just one guitar when I see a video of them live from back then.

EDIT: Even just listen to the first song (Slide Away), it sounds like he's playing 4 guitars at once, live, by himself. Christ almighty.

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That clip is awesome

I had no idea you were a big fan. I'm not quite on your level, obviously, but I like them a lot. I'm a fan of most of their albums, though I favor the time period you favor as well. But I think Urban Hymns is amazing too.

Good to see a fan or two of the band around here. I think Axver is a big fan of their early work too.

And my Axver on the Verve.

What's great about those first three albums is that they're all so different. They didn't repeat themselves, and slowly evolved to a more straightforward approach without sacrificing the brilliant musicianship. Of course, I can understand why people who adore A Storm In Heaven might dislike Urban Hymns. But when the writing is that good, it's hard to hold it against Ashcroft for wanting to try something more direct.

A shame about McCabe's mental health issues, because they really deserved to be a much bigger success. Somewhere there's a parallel world where they achieved the status of Oasis, because they're far superior.

I greatly prefer shoegaze Verve and am excited to have discovered that No Come Down exists. I need to listen to that ASAP.

Slide Away :drool:

Below are opinions of mine:

Five Guys I love, and those fries, fuck.

But at the end of the day, they're all chains/fast food and you can get better burgers at so many actual restaurants.
That's the funny thing about Five Guys, you me: Their food is too good. It tastes like home made, and when I eat it, as a result, I feel bad for having not just made something myself for less money :huh:

Speaking of masochism, forgot to add that I like White Castle. Could be the only person who will eat and enjoy them when sober. That being said, have not had White Castle in at least 4 years, this despite being back in NYC.
I love White Castle, and I'm honestly not sure I've ever had it under the influence... I imagine it only gets better.

I quite liked their first album but was totally underwhelmed by this one. Doubt I'll listen to it again.
I have mixed feelings. I was worried they were going to change their sound as drastically as they suggested they would, and would no longer sound like the band I enjoyed, but then they hardly changed their sound at all. I appreciated that at first, but it does suggest that they may be a little stunted creatively. I need to hear the record a few more times though.

Voyager 1. That is all I
have to say. McCabe's live guitar sound is spectacular.

That's the funny thing about Five Guys, you me: Their food is too good. It tastes like home made, and when I eat it, as a result, I feel bad for having not just made something myself for less money :huh:

Very good description. Definitely tastes like a good burger you would get at a BBQ or something. But it's considerably pricier than the rest of the chains, and that dissuades me from going there more often.

Back
Top Bottom