Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and say what you will about the Foo Fighters, but you can't fault them for this. Dave Grohl fell off the stage today in Sweden. He broke his leg but after a short break to get it wrapped up, went back up on stage and finished the gig sitting down. Seriously.

That's awesome.

Goes to show you how lazy Bono's become.

:wink:

They're supposed to play at Rock Werchter, which I'll be attending, in two weeks time. I hope they don't.

So my sister and her husband were just on HGTV. (Folks out west might be able to catch it later, was on 6PM here, show is Vacation House For Free, episode "Classic Cape Escape")...and I forgot all about it and was out to eat with wife and kid. Looks like I don't win brother of the year.

Caught the last 15 minutes though...so much false information in the show...they removed every piece of furniture after filming that was shown, and the host at the end talked about how they rented it out (thats part of the premise of the show, a 2nd home to rent out) and had to turn renters away...they never even tried to rent it out. I'll have to catch the whole thing on a rerun.

In the wake of their supposedly fantastic new album, I'm returning to Titus Andronicus' last album and finding that I really enjoy it. Local Business is going to forever live in the shadow of The Monitor because that album was amazing, but I don't think this band has yet to release anything weak.

Might be seeing them in September at the Roxy, we'll see if it sells out or not.

So my sister and her husband were just on HGTV. (Folks out west might be able to catch it later, was on 6PM here, show is Vacation House For Free, episode "Classic Cape Escape")...and I forgot all about it and was out to eat with wife and kid. Looks like I don't win brother of the year.

Caught the last 15 minutes though...so much false information in the show...they removed every piece of furniture after filming that was shown, and the host at the end talked about how they rented it out (thats part of the premise of the show, a 2nd home to rent out) and had to turn renters away...they never even tried to rent it out. I'll have to catch the whole thing on a rerun.
Not one of the HGTV shows I worked on, so I'll let this shit talk slide.

In the wake of their supposedly fantastic new album, I'm returning to Titus Andronicus' last album and finding that I really enjoy it. Local Business is going to forever live in the shadow of The Monitor because that album was amazing, but I don't think this band has yet to release anything weak.

Might be seeing them in September at the Roxy, we'll see if it sells out or not.

Their new album is supposed to be something of a rock opera, right? I haven't really been keeping track.

Their new album is supposed to be something of a rock opera, right? I haven't really been keeping track.

Yes. It sounds like a pompous disaster on paper; 29 tracks and, by my count, probably 80-90 minutes. And yet I've only heard great things about it, so I'm excited to sit down and give it a close listen when I can.

You'll need to wait a few weeks for it to release.

tumblr_n7e1kbqLaA1r33r0fo1_400.gif

For Laz and anyone else who likes the band: I've recently started going through Saint Etienne's discography in order.

Never having heard much of their music outside of DI lists, I was surprised to hear that Foxbase Alpha had some Ibiza house vibes. A bit long and sonically inconsistent, but it's straight feelgood music. I listened to the US version which had a couple extra tracks and maybe that was just a bit too much for a first listen. Pleasant surprise nonetheless.

So Tough is fucking good. A little trimmer, a little darker, a little more focused, more of an "album" instead of a never-ending house wormhole. I was really impressed by the sampling (two tracks in a row borrowed samples from Paul's Boutique, which I'm guessing was an influence on the album) and they integrated it well throughout the album instead of just in select pockets. It really informed the feel of the record. But despite all the consistency and sonic creativity, the songwriting was there too. Great stuff.

Tiger Bay is up next.

On the back of this discussion, I picked up a best-of/singles compilation for them today. Seems like the kind of thing I would be into.

They have so much material it's ridiculous. Only like 8 studio albums but even more compilations of b-sides, outtakes, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Etienne_discography

Today I listened to the double-disc version of Continental, which has 27 tracks and only covers a TWO YEAR period. Jeez.

A while back I managed to find a DL of an 4-disc set that was only available for sale to fan club members, featuring solely exclusive fan club tracks from over the years. I mean, that's insane.

Stumbled upon the title of this song while reading a novel, and on a whim decided to look it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wro3bqi4Eb8

Apparently it was a huge hit in 1968, but didn't sound familiar. Love it, though.

I've heard this song in a million hip hop samples, but never the full version. That's groovy as shit.

To Pimp a Butterfly is incredible. I listened to it for the first time tonight. Amazing.

All the doors are open in my house at the moment, one housemate is blasting Best Coast's Boyfrjend and the other is blasting Positively 4th Street. It's quite jarring.

I had Tighten Up on my list for DI8. I love that song.

Oh and To Pimp a Butterfly :up::up::up::up::up: Glad you finally got around to it, Dave.

By "all the doors" I meant "my housemates' doors". I'll never let her out of my sight again. I sing to her on snapchat. Skinny Love a few days ago, I'm on Fire today. It's creepy af

Two things 1) the Alabama Shakes record is quite good. Gimme All Your Love definitely the best track for mine but it's pretty strong throughout. Gemini and Don't Wanna Fight some other standouts. I'm not sure how to explain this but there is a sound running throughout that gets me offside a bit, similar to a sound I've found in the Black Keys music, that means I'll never be able to just love it. And also Brittany Howard's vocal histrionics annoy me at times. But they're relatively minor complaints. 2) I have been watching A LOT of wrestling videos lately. Not really sure why. Maybe because I interviewed Hulk Hogan. I just find the theatre of it so ridiculously entertaining and there's been some really funny characters, most namely The Rock, I think. Been watching videos like Hulk vs Andre the Giant, Stone Cold stunner compilations, The Rock "IT DOESN'T MATTER" compilations, reading wiki articles, a whole heap of shit. So entertaining, wish I'd gotten into it more as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom