Random Music Talk CIII; WHATCHA GONNA DO BRUTHA WHEN HOMOMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOOOOOUUU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy shit, Laz. I had such an amazing time!! If your friends ask, please tell them that I had so much fun! I had a stupid grin on my face the entire day. It was perfect! I saw some great new bands and to be able to see Black Lips, then walk over to see Metz, then walk back over for most of Black Angels' set was so wonderful! Tinariwen was AMAZING! I had to skip Deap Vally because if I didn't eat something I was going to pass out. I got there about 1 or so, and just wandered around listening to live music (and looking at bracelets). (Two things I love to do.) I had to skip Spoon. I was so tired and my feet hurt and every time I listen to them I think "eh." So maybe next time.

It was SO MUCH FUN!

Please tell them for me. I'll put on their FB and I might even email MBP to tell them.

Black Angels are pretty great live! I saw them in Pomona a few years ago with The Kills, who were also pretty good that night.

Common was great, but a real shame that about 10 minutes of his set was dedicated to entry-level hype shit. I don't know much Common, but when he was rapping it was awesome, so it was pretty annoying to have 10 minutes of Jump Around, DJ scratching, "hey-hoh"/"all the fellas/all the ladies"/"people on the left/people on the right". He's so far above that.

He likes to give his DJs time to play around. Or, at least, that's the impression I've been able to get. I don't really get the impression he's much of a live guy. I'm surprised you liked him at all, honestly. I've only been able to watch performances from the comfort of my couch, but basically he doesn't seem to have the same flow, live, nor the showmanship necessary to carry a show as a solo artist. Thus, why he lets the guys behind him carry the room little. And at a live show, I've had more fun with hiphop performances when they do play around with DJ type stuff than anything else. His DJs were probably my favorite part of the last show I saw him do.

He likes to give his DJs time to play around. Or, at least, that's the impression I've been able to get. I don't really get the impression he's much of a live guy. I'm surprised you liked him at all, honestly. I've only been able to watch performances from the comfort of my couch, but basically he doesn't seem to have the same flow, live, nor the showmanship necessary to carry a show as a solo artist. Thus, why he lets the guys behind him carry the room little. And at a live show, I've had more fun with hiphop performances when they do play around with DJ type stuff than anything else. His DJs were probably my favorite part of the last show I saw him do.

Really? Odd. I thought he was pretty great when rapping, and that's in a gigantic outdoor venue with shit sound. He definitely seemed to have the showmanship. He brought a girl on stage, rapped with urgency, threw a stool around the stage til it broke.

I hope I don't sound like a "hip-hop purist" here but maybe that's because you don't dig hip-hop quite as much as some others? I know you love it, or some of it, but I can't understand people paying to see an established hip-hop artist and then wanting to hear or enjoying the section dedicated to DJ scratching or shit like Jump Around. Any average DJ could do that. All my favourite hip-hop shows (Outkast, Kanye, Kendrick etc) have left that shit behind.

In light of your complaint about Common and your discovery of D'Angelo, this last sentence is bewilderingly criminal.

..and I'm guessing you weren't there with a gf as I can't see her approving of leaving before Maxwell lol

I'd honestly never heard of him. Was there with a mate and his brother. Mate said he "fucking killed it", more chill than D'Angelo but just as good, but I don't feel too bad about leaving early.

Just saw this. Thank Cobb!

No probs. I listened to Spooky Action at a Distance on the way into work today.

I'd honestly never heard of him. Was there with a mate and his brother. Mate said he "fucking killed it", more chill than D'Angelo but just as good, but I don't feel too bad about leaving early.

He's great live. Especially with a band.

And i agree about the call-outs in hip hop. It's probably my biggest pet peeve and the lack of useless filler is one of the first things i complimented Kanye on back when I first saw him.

Sent from my ass crack

Really? Odd. I thought he was pretty great when rapping, and that's in a gigantic outdoor venue with shit sound. He definitely seemed to have the showmanship. He brought a girl on stage, rapped with urgency, threw a stool around the stage til it broke.

I hope I don't sound like a "hip-hop purist" here but maybe that's because you don't dig hip-hop quite as much as some others? I know you love it, or some of it, but I can't understand people paying to see an established hip-hop artist and then wanting to hear or enjoying the section dedicated to DJ scratching or shit like Jump Around. Any average DJ could do that. All my favourite hip-hop shows (Outkast, Kanye, Kendrick etc) have left that shit behind.

He doesn't have the budget for visuals that those people do, nor was he at his own show. Both factors working towards a more dj heavy set for most of the hip hop acts I've seen at festivals. Djs also don't do the same things every time, so maybe they were off their game that night, but something to consider, of course, was the crowd digging it? If the crowd was into it, they're going to keep feeding them.

I've seen Flylo twice, and both times he played almost nothing from his albums, and just dj'ed and both experiences are among my favorite hip hop gigs.

When I saw Kendrick at a festival, it was before his album was released, so, again, very hype man and dj heavy. When I saw him open for Kanye, he joined the ranks of musicians I have fallen asleep during, but that wasn't his fault. I was exhausted and still not much of a fan. But I will say, of what I saw, he sounded great, but he looked swallowed up by that massive stage.

The crowd was into it. I'm sure I was probably one of about 10 people in the whole joint not enjoying it. I'm a bit elitist like that. I just think it's a shame, yknow? I'd still rather hear a cut form Be than Jump Around.

I've seen FlyLo as well, and my experience was reasonably similar, he didn't really play any concrete tracks from his albums but went through a fair bit of them, but he also didn't do the hype shit, it was just a really quality, fresh DJ set with INCREDIBLE light show.

I'm actually enjoying this Hozier album. Figured I'd hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

OK, I don't want to get you all too excited, but the place where we were supposed to see The BLUM offered us free tickets to the show this week, because of the "scathing" review I wrote about them on Yelp. This may actually be happening.

I'm actually enjoying this Hozier album.

I like him a lot. Seeing him tomorrow night at one of the smaller Seattle venues. It had sold out quickly, and he was booked for a February show at the larger theater venue ... all before his album even came out.

I'm excited.

Listened to it today. Like Dark Side of the Moon, something you'll listen to once but not likely go back to. I honestly hate Miley less and less with each passing day.

Listening to Harvest right now and thinking of writing songs again. Not sure if they'll involve Jack Nicholson yet.

Man, all of the classic Neil Young songs make me wish I'd written them.

Last edited:
I've listened to the new Zola Jesus about five times now, and I've enjoyed every listen, but I can't remember a single song afterwards.

Agreed. Is anyone from the classic Pumpkins lineup other than Corgan in this new "Smashing Pumpkins"?

It's like Axl Rose calling his current group "Guns'N'Roses".

Hasn't been the case for some time now. And Corgan basically has played all the guitar and bass parts in studio for a long time, including when James and D'arcy were in the band, so not much of a change in sound when the band's lineup changes except drums where Jimmy was an integral piece. Tommy Lee is not a bad replacement, though I assume that may be for just the one song, we'll see.

Saw them 2 years ago on the Oceania tour, 3 completely new band members (the obligatory female bassist, 3rd in the band). Still decent, Chamberlain was definitely the one missed the most.

First Listen: The Flaming Lips, 'With A Little Help From My Fwends' : NPR

Stream the Flaming Lips and "Fwends" cover of Sgt Peppers (full album). A lot of people are hating on it at the Flaming Lips message board but I am actually liking it.... and, dare I say, the tracks with Miley are good.

Actually really enjoyed my first listen. A cool little novelty.

I've listened to the new Zola Jesus about five times now, and I've enjoyed every listen, but I can't remember a single song afterwards.

You can't remember how bad "Hunger" is?

Sorry. Haven't been around much of late. Did it result in you having an unhappy Thursday?

Back
Top Bottom