Random Music Talk CIII; WHATCHA GONNA DO BRUTHA WHEN HOMOMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOOOOOUUU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I tried sushi for the first time. Nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be. I could see myself eating it in future. And it's cheap, healthy and filling.

it's funny you mention that, because since random sushi talk the other day, i've pretty much decided california rolls are my new favorite food.

Random Music Talk CIII; WHATCHA GONNA DO BRUTHA WHEN HOMOMANIA RUNS WILD ON Y...

Whilst listening to "California"?

And watching

kalifornia_blu-ray_cover_art_slice_01.jpg

Sent from my ass crack

I'm not the biggest fan of that whole Broken Bells thing that Danger Mouse is/was involved with (to put it mildly)...

but

the horn section that climaxes and fades out 'Control' is simply and purely some kind of perfection.

I kind of wish U2 had created the song Bring the Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture, just to see the reaction from long-time fans.

So last night I got to see The Avalanches' Since I Left You recreated live on stage with a full band. I was fucking blown away. As most of you (should) know it's one of my all-time favourite albums (and I know a few of you here share that opinion) so I was curious but not all the skeptical as to how it would be recreated in the live arena. They played the album from start to finish, and honestly, it felt like a privilege. No one from The Avalanches is involved, but they gave their blessing to Jonti and a band of about 20 to recreate it, and they're on record as saying they love it. There was an awful review which only gave it 2.5 stars, but that was way off the mark. They moved seamlessly from track to track, with a female singer/saxophonist knocking every single thing she did out of the park. They did the ad-libs, the galloping horses, the whole lot, and it all sounded impeccable. If it happens to come overseas at all (doubt it will), do whatever you can to see it if you're a fan.

The Antlers' Familiars gets better with each listen. Every song is a gem, but Palace and Hotel are unstoppable. Criminally overlooked record, but I think years down the line it will get due respect for its quality and craft.

Last edited:
I am hopelessly in love with Palace, but didn't enjoy the rest as much. But, I only listened to it once, so I really need to get reacquainted.

Speaking of criminally overlooked records, every time I hear Jon Hopkins' Immunity it rises in my estimation. Definitely in the top handful of albums to come out in the past few years. Such a fully realised, immensely satisfying listen, that runs the gamut from pulsating electro to devastatingly gorgeous sparse piano.

Familiars definitely deserves 3-4 listens. I immediately liked it because of the lovely brass (an obvious but successful addition to their sound), but then the melodies and little things like its excellent sequencing started to pull me in too.

Speaking of Hopkins, I bumped the dance thread and packed it with recs.

The Antlers' Familiars gets better with each listen. Every song is a gem, but Palace and Hotel are unstoppable. Criminally overlooked record, but I think years down the line it will get due respect for its quality and craft.
:up::up::up:

It has a good chance of finishing in my year end top 10.

I saw them live two weeks ago. They played eight of the nine songs from Familiars. It was a good show, at least for those who were familiar (heh) with the new songs. Otherwise it risked blending together. They added brass to the older songs as well which was nice for the most part. Silberman really has got one hell of a voice. It's just as good live as on record. I was especially happy when they played my two favorite songs: Kettering and Epilogue. They are doing a bit of a Radiohead in not playing Sylvia though. I heard several people around me waiting for that song.

Palace and Director are two of the best songs of the year.

Back
Top Bottom