Random Music Talk CII: Brazilian Style, the longer it takes, the closer it gets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Banks album is actually a bit of a disappointment for me. It's so damn long, and none of the stuff I hadn't been listening to for the last year held a candle to the EP shit and one offs.

I'm on the fence about going back to State for Homecoming or staying home to see Banks and I haven't yet heard the album so the teetering remains.

I don't listen to Franz Ferdinand much these days but The Dark of the Matinee is still an amazing song.

I'm on the fence about going back to State for Homecoming or staying home to see Banks and I haven't yet heard the album so the teetering remains.

Her best shit is as good as anything to come out over the past year, her show at Coachella was quite good, and she's one of the hottest women I've ever seen. Fuck homecoming. See Banks.

Lost in everything yesterday was the apparent quiet death of the iPod Classic. I love mine and prefer having it separate from my phone. Hope it lasts for a while.
wait, what? shit.

even though the nano and touch are practically the same thing, except the latter has more functionality, let's get rid of the one thing that's totally different: a music player that holds more than four albums.

That's why I just came over here, what's the point, you know? But his choice of words was incredibly mean-spirited...really surprised to see someone lay down that much hate on Benji.

That's such a sad album. I guess it's not worth engaging someone who thinks there's unintentional comedy in the lyrics.

What's this about?

Will they do this deal for any iPod? I have an old one that still works but the headphone jack isn't working.

Maybe it would just be cheaper to fix that.

Exact thing happened to me, they gave me a new one for half price.

wait, what? shit.

even though the nano and touch are practically the same thing, except the latter has more functionality, let's get rid of the one thing that's totally different: a music player that holds more than four albums.

Because streaming! :|

It's also a particularly hilarious and flawed argument that "they're morons, they gave a glowing review to an album I hated, so their opinion on ZOMG TEH GR8EST THING EVAR is invalid." I mean, I've made that same justification myself in the past, but then I turned 12.

The reaction to reviews is mind-boggling to me. Are we that insecure a fan base that we need confirmation in order to be able to enjoy some music?

And if you are listening to U2 in 2014, do you not expect negative backlash anyways because of what they represent?

Anyone who listens to an album purely based off the rating that pitchfork gave, and then freaks out about how they didn't agree, is a fucking moron.

Extend this to any numerical value attached to a media review, but hey, they get their clicks.

The majority of people who choose to consume the new U2 record probably don't read Pitchfork, aren't aware of it, or don't read any other music rag outside of the occasional Rolling Stone article.

The reaction to reviews is mind-boggling to me. Are we that insecure a fan base that we need confirmation in order to be able to enjoy some music?

And if you are listening to U2 in 2014, do you not expect negative backlash anyways because of what they represent?

Seriously. Let's face it, there is nothing a band of 30+ years does that is going to please the pitchforks and av clubs of the world, just as there is nothing they can do to displease the rolling stone.

Sometimes I think people here put too much stock in album reviews, but over there they take theirs to the next level. They make laz's Christgau-worship, even at its most fawning, appear measured and sane.

Extend this to any numerical value attached to a media review, but hey, they get their clicks.

The majority of people who choose to consume the new U2 record probably don't read Pitchfork, aren't aware of it, or don't read any other music rag outside of the occasional Rolling Stone article.

Numerical ratings and letter grades are the worst, that Oscar dude probably latched onto the 9.2 and didn't even bother wading through the painfully pretentious diatribe that probably followed. I guess that's to be expected of people who want to be spoon-fed opinions, but don't be surprised (and lose your mind) when the arbitrary score given to the album doesn't jive with your own.

Seriously. Let's face it, there is nothing a band of 30+ years does that is going to please the pitchforks and av clubs of the world, just as there is nothing they can do to displease the rolling stone.

I don't think this is true. I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I can't buy that there's some agreement in place at the Pitchforks of the world that they will shit on anything by U2, Depeche Mode, etc. Pitchfork has reviewed recent albums by Tom Waits, Neil Young, Nick Cave, and other veterans positively. The reason Pitchfork or AV Club have not been enthusiastic about U2 lately is that they have not done anything consistently challenging or creative in a long while. This new album may change that; I'm don't really have an opinion yet on that front.

Because streaming! :|
ha, seriously. i don't know what someone is supposed to do if they go out of the country or even on a road trip. driving from here to nashville on the interstate, there's sections of it that get gprs at best, and pockets with no signal at all.

not to mention the prospect of essentially paying for music three times over (buying the music itself, paying for a subscription to a cloud service, and paying more for a bigger data package*) seems ridiculous.

*i know t-mobile offers "unlimited" data but i'm never using them again and iirc it's only 4g up to a certain amount, and then it's capped at 2g. i can't imagine the amount of buffering there would be at 2g speeds.

ha, seriously. i don't know what someone is supposed to do if they go out of the country or even on a road trip. driving from here to nashville on the interstate, there's sections of it that get gprs at best, and pockets with no signal at all.

not to mention the prospect of essentially paying for music three times over (buying the music itself, paying for a subscription to a cloud service, and paying more for a bigger data package*) seems ridiculous.

*i know t-mobile offers "unlimited" data but i'm never using them again and iirc it's only 4g up to a certain amount, and then it's capped at 2g. i can't imagine the amount of buffering there would be at 2g speeds.

And then there're cds. :)

Which is why I love Grooveshark, which lets me offline music. Honestly, the only thing I miss about having actual music on my memory card, at this point, is using the phone's media player, because it's much better.

I don't think this is true. I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I can't buy that there's some agreement in place at the Pitchforks of the world that they will shit on anything by U2, Depeche Mode, etc. Pitchfork has reviewed recent albums by Tom Waits, Neil Young, Nick Cave, and other veterans positively. The reason Pitchfork or AV Club have not been enthusiastic about U2 lately is that they have not done anything consistently challenging or creative in a long while. This new album may change that; I'm don't really have an opinion yet on that front.

i'm not jumping on any sort of paranoid, "they're out to get our favorite bands!" bandwagon the people of EYKIW seem to take it as. i don't think it has anything to do with anyone having it out for u2/any other band that achieved massive popularity decades ago and are still hanging on. u2 aren't as bad about it as, say, the rolling stones. but they're a lot closer to that category than anyone else you mentioned, haven't done anything really crazy to mix things up musically in ages (unless you count actually releasing an album to be "mixing it up" vs years of only talking about it).

tom waits and nick cave haven't exactly been known for stylizing (either self-made, or declared such by publications constantly over the decades) themselves as the biggest rock band in the world, though. they're widley well-known, of course, but they've had such vastly different career trajectories, mainly based around doing whatever the fuck they wanted at a slow and steady wins the race pace. i don't know enough nick cave, but tom waits is weird as all hell every time he puts out an album, and of course that's going to appeal to people looking for a reason to shit over your album for...being too much like the last one...being too earnest...trying too hard to be #1...or they just don't like your new haircut. they're predictable as fuck about it, unless they really just don't know what to make of it. but since songs of innocence is predictable as fuck, of course they're going to shit on it.

with archaic publications that lean toward the most mainstream of music? u2 already made it, springsteen already made it, etc. doesn't matter what they do from here on out, RS will be all "album of the year!!1!111!!!!!" about it because JT. because born to run. they're also as predictable as fuck, and naturally, love the thing.

Which is why I love Grooveshark, which lets me offline music. Honestly, the only thing I miss about having actual music on my memory card, at this point, is using the phone's media player, because it's much better.

you can do that with spotify too, but it really defeats the purpose of a streaming service for me. it's so i can listen to whatever i want, not the same batch of pre-determined music i already selected for offline use (especially if those are the same albums i already own in other offline formats). and at 33k songs, i can't get my entire music collection, never mind anything new (although maybe half, since there's probably a pretty giant chunk of music they don't have period).

U2 really is a special case though, a lightning rod for irrationality/vitriol. Waits, Cave, even Young remain cool creative mavericks in the eyes of a lot of people. To most U2 stopped being cool either in 1987 or 1997.

I'm going to be in Maui when he's in Seattle. :scream:

I mean, not that I'll be sad to be in Hawaii, but .... but ..... yeah.

Back
Top Bottom