Random Music Talk CII: Brazilian Style, the longer it takes, the closer it gets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure how people can detest a song and still claim the album as one of their favs.

When the album is like an hour and a half long, it should be perfectly fine to dislike literally fifty-two seconds of it and still be a favorite. It's not exactly rocket science now, is it?

And even if one adores eleven songs on a 12-song album and skips only one... why should this be incomprehensible? I don't particularly care for So Cruel but the awesomeness of The Fly and Acrobat overshadow it to an extent I completely forget about those forgettable parts.

The version from The Promise is in my Top 5 Bruce tracks. No one else seems to want to discuss this version, but it's far superior IMO.

You're right about this one.

And even if one adores eleven songs on a 12-song album and skips only one... why should this be incomprehensible? I don't particularly care for So Cruel but the awesomeness of The Fly and Acrobat overshadow it to an extent I completely forget about those forgettable parts.

Sometimes songs really do wind up suffering from being placed near other songs. I could make a list of songs I overlooked for ages because of unfortunate placement: perhaps they were sandwiched between such greatness that they paled in comparison, others because skipping them means getting to a favorite song that much quicker.

In truth, my favorite albums are almost never albums featuring my favorite songs of all-time. They're albums that are evenly good where I don't want to skip anything. Going back to The Clash (lest I turn this into Random London Calling Talk part 63), Straight to Hell has been in my top 5 favorite Clash songs for years, but it's the only one off Combat Rock that I ever listen to (outside a rock the casbah/should I stay or should I go spotting on the radio). I'd probably still pick the self titled album as my favorite Clash album, even though technically nothing in that top 5 comes from it in its original/uk track listing.

PJ Harvey is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists. I've re-listened to Dry, Stories from the City and Let England Shake in the past few weeks and all are :drool:

Stories really passed by me on the first couple of listens, but now I adore it. Let England Shake was my #1 album of 2011, so I've always loved that one.

As a rule I find it rare that any album I really consider great has any one song on it that I'd dislike enough to skip. I mean there might be a song that kind of passes me by but doesn't actively offend me.

One example of a favorite album that is easily in my top 5 is Pearl Jam's Vitalogy. I don't listen to Stupid Mop that much, a morbid, psychedelic, instrumental 7-minute closer, but it doesn't matter to me since I consider the rest of that album to be perfection. I think it's more of a hidden track anyway. Similar to Fitter Happier, which I sometimes do skip when I just want to get to Electioneering. :rockon:

I'd hardly call any album I've ever listened to that doesn't have one song that I'm not enamored with (which is not to say that I necessarily dislike it). However, if it does not ruin the process of a full and rewarding album experience; it's still a great album for me. The two abovementioned examples are as good as any.

I feel the same way about stupid mop as I do revolution #9: no.

Both versions of Racing In The Street are excellent.

And Meeting Across The River is gorgeous.

And Fitter Happier and Wild Honey Pie aren't long enough to really bother me.

And The Crunge should indeed have been replaced by the title track.

And Shuttlecock...

Another example is Last Dance from Disintegration. Such a boring, throwaway track, but it makes no difference since the rest of the record is so great. It's barely an afterthought after the album has ended and you realised you've listened to a masterpiece.

Christ my English SUCKS today. I need more than four hours of sleep.

Holy shit, I just remembered that a new album announcement today means a new Shuttlecock thread and now I'm fucking giddy about the potential announcement.

I'd be giddy if nothing happened and EYKIW blew up.

But I'll take new Shuttlecock as an alternative.

Agreed on both points.
But since we know an album is imminent, it'd be much more fun to have nothing happen today. We've waited nearly 6 years already another week or four won't hurt, but think of the glory of a collective meltdown we could witness.

Prediction: there is no album and won't ever be an album.

u2 will use the iphuck launch thingie to announce to the world, with astounding presumptuousness, that Larry is leaving to spend more time with his family, and Adam to face weapons trading charges in Sudan.

Assuming U2 is involved with this iPhone launch, if an album isn't announced today, I don't think one is coming at all. That said, I think there's a very real possibility U2 shows up and plays a couple of old songs, and that's it.

Assuming U2 is involved with this iPhone launch, if an album isn't announced today, I don't think one is coming at all. That said, I think there's a very real possibility U2 shows up and plays a couple of old songs, and that's it.

If that happens, I think I'll just close EYKIW for a couple months and let everyone come off their ledges on their own.

Holy shit, I just remembered that a new album announcement today means a new Shuttlecock thread and now I'm fucking giddy about the potential announcement.

You got that right, junior.

Gonna be a lot of 'cockified song/album titles flying around, we may have to settle everything in an organized fashion this time. Straw polls?

General comment: If nothing happens, just please don't be all "ha ha suckers, told ya so. FOOLS" because that is far more irritating than the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will be going on in EYKIW.

General comment: If nothing happens, just please don't be all "ha ha suckers, told ya so. FOOLS" because that is far more irritating than the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will be going on in EYKIW.

Agreed.

I will say that people are really getting themselves worked up over this, I'm really kind of hoping its true to avoid people throwing themselves off buildings or something...

Can't believe in an hour I will be able to walk into a record store and buy UK versions of Beatles albums in mono, new, on vinyl and under $40 each.

Back
Top Bottom