Random Music Talk CI - That's When I Reach For My Refresh Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So we all got ensnared in Liam's plot, rather than Cobbler's.

Well then.

And didn't Einsturzende Neubauten actually get kicked off ZooTV after that one support gig because U2 didn't approve of their stage antics? Or am I thinking of somebody else? I recall they definitely gave somebody the boot.

And didn't Einsturzende Neubauten actually get kicked off ZooTV after that one support gig because U2 didn't approve of their stage antics? Or am I thinking of somebody else? I recall they definitely gave somebody the boot.

From Wikipedia,

the Pimm book said:
In 1993, they were booked to support U2 during their European leg of the Zoo TV Tour, but were thrown off the stage and off the tour when a band member threw an iron bar into the booing crowd.

It had something to do with throwing an iron bar into the booing audience.

I'd give them a medal and not the boot.

The iCurtis makes me laugh every time. That probably makes me a bad person.

It would have been nice if the CI had somehow been spun into a Law and Order joke, but I'll live.

I was going to do some kind of Knife Crime/Criminal Intent thing but couldn't get it to work with the Roman numeral, so fuck it.

Continue, Interference.

That sounds like something Mount Temple would write.

It would have been nice if the CI had somehow been spun into a Law and Order joke, but I'll live.

That was my plan, but we hit the post count while I was driving some old lady to the ER (I still don't understand why she wanted to go, she had no medical complaint at all) so I missed my opportunity.

Tags?

That's probably something I don't know how to see/can't see on my phone. I almost never visit this place from an actual computer anymore.

I was listening to No Line the other day and realized that Unknown Caller is my probably my least favorite U2 song. It seems to be aiming for some kind of profundity, but the lyrics are so daft and the pacing of the song so languid that the listener becomes numb to any kind of statement that might be buried underneath all of the nonsense. Edge's guitar work is surprisingly flaccid, especially in the solo, and that tepid ambient lead-in makes no sense in light of the robotic chorus. I know people point to Stand Up Comedy as the nadir of that album, but at least it's done in under four minutes; Unknown Caller plods on for six. The song is just a complete and utter disaster from my view.

Huh, I enjoy it well enough outside of the unbelievably clunky chorus. I find the intro very disarming and pretty, a great transition from Moment of Surrender as well.

Not going to bother defending the lyrics; they're horrendously executed.

It's like a 6/10 song, not something I would go out of my way to praise, but far from U2's worst work.

Today's album listen is PJ Harvey's "Rid Of Me".

Why on earth is she moaning throughout the entire album? She has a pretty good voice when she sings straight (i.e. on Let England Shake) but it's just sort of bland when she does this for every song.

That said, it rocks pretty hard.

I like that album and should listen to the demos.

But I've got to say, it ranks pretty low for me overall. Her discography is fantastic and for me, Dry, To Bring You My Love, Stories From the City and Let England Shake are even better.

The first time I heard Let England Shake, I wasn't really that impressed until I heard THAT dissonant chord change in This Glorious Land, and I was hooked from that point. That album ends very strongly as well - lots of interesting sounds in the last four songs. Love her guitar tone on that album.

I didn't like Rid of Me that much, which was surprising since I'm more of a heavy rock fan in general and I love Albini's production on Surfer Rosa and In Utero. Stories From the City and Let England Shake are excellent records.

As far as Unknown Caller goes, I'm ambivalent about that song as much as I am for most of that record. I haven't listened to it (the record) in years. I know the song (and the record apart from the title song) didn't work at all live, being one of the main reasons why I found that 360 tour (which was as 360 as Elevation and Vertigo were) to be a complete failure, which was the real true start of me starting to actively dislike modern day U2, as opposed to being lukewarm about it.

And I wouldn't find Edge's flaccid playing surprising. The last really interesting and compelling thing he had done in the studio was his guitar work on The Ground Beneath Her Feet in my mind. Which was fourteen fucking years ago.

Finally giving the new Sun Kil Moon a second listen, it was just far too depressing and daunting a listen to handle for a long time.

It's a great album, but Micheline is what really kills me. That story about his friend that had an aneurysm and loses a lot of brain function is so sad. "'Brett died the other day, you really should send a letter to his mom and dad.' And I got on my train in Malmo and looked out at the snow feeling somewhere between happy and sad." Fuck, that's perfect.

Kozelek is getting close to 50 now and is still releasing awesome music.

Last edited:
I was listening to No Line the other day and realized that Unknown Caller is my probably my least favorite U2 song. It seems to be aiming for some kind of profundity, but the lyrics are so daft and the pacing of the song so languid that the listener becomes numb to any kind of statement that might be buried underneath all of the nonsense. Edge's guitar work is surprisingly flaccid, especially in the solo, and that tepid ambient lead-in makes no sense in light of the robotic chorus. I know people point to Stand Up Comedy as the nadir of that album, but at least it's done in under four minutes; Unknown Caller plods on for six. The song is just a complete and utter disaster from my view.

It's my all-time least favorite U2 song and I've been saying that for well over 5 years now.

Back
Top Bottom