Random Music Talk CI - That's When I Reach For My Refresh Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, especially considering the article's title it wasn't nearly as Rollins-esque as expected.

No, it wasnt, and while I cant stand him in general and depart from his argument when he starts talking about the person's existence being negated, I quite agree with the opening premise, that being that he can't fathom someone killing themselves when they have children. Because I quite can't wrap my head around that, either. I think it's unfathomable. And before anyone jumps all over me, I'm coming at this from a very fresh and personal perspective. As I see it, the kids are what mainly save us from the brink. Repeatedly.

Anyways, not reading it at all because he hates Bono is probably a bit narrow minded. He raises an interesting point, at least.

...and for some people, even their children can't get them out of that hole.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.” -- David Foster Wallace

Words from a man who eventually jumped himself.

David Foster Wallace's story is a tragic one. And even though some might say it's not a fair comparison, I found his work to be so much funnier than that of Robin Williams (whose strengths lie in his dramatic work in my mind). One more example where the line between a talent for comedy and misery is a thin one.

If I'm to guess, the depressed person's thoughts regarding children are based on the demented assumption that the children are simply going to be "better off" without him.

If I'm to guess, the depressed person's thoughts regarding children are based on the demented assumption that the children are simply going to be "better off" without him.

Well, that's partly what that quote is about. Suicide is often a very impulsive act. The idea that the person has fully thought through and justified the decision in his own mind is fallacious.

Yup. Depression can take hold of your entire worldview and make you truly believe that everyone will be better off without you.

Great quote Laz :up: that's why people who haven't experienced it or known someone intimately who has suffered, should just shut up, in my view.

Last night I was at a bar and I got talking to some bloke over a smoke. We were chatting about hip-hop. Black on Both Sides is in his all-time top five and he has Paid in Full on vinyl. Finally, I found a kindred spirit. But what was I doing? Too focused on trying to get some with this girl before the last tram left. So I didn't get his name, went inside for a quick dance and a kiss, and then left.

It is entirely fair that I subsequently missed my tram and had to spend $15 I don't have on a taxi home. That's the world punishing me. I'll never see that bloke again.

You might see him at a local hip hop show, or the same bar at another time.

Or maybe your local indie paper has a "missed connections" thing you can place an ad in.

"I'm the bloke who shared a smoke and MOS DEF wants to see you again. No homo."

I will do all of those things.

Do you know what the other great problem of my life is? I can never fucking post my favourite Pavement lyric ("so drunk in the August sun / and you're the kinda girl I like") as a vague Facebook status because it's never fucking warm and sunny enough in August over here.

I will do all of those things.

Do you know what the other great problem of my life is? I can never fucking post my favourite Pavement lyric ("so drunk in the August sun / and you're the kinda girl I like") as a vague Facebook status because it's never fucking warm and sunny enough in August over here.

Dude it was like 25 degrees for the first two thirds of the month, you missed out!

Laz does not do things in small doses

105C0187-FAD8-4723-9BF1-B431DF1EDE6F_zpssraq55le.jpg

For the last 9+ hours, I have been answering letters from people from all over the world. The anger is off the scale and in my opinion, well placed.

The article I wrote in the LA Weekly about suicide caused a lot of hurt. This is perhaps one of the bigger understatements of all time. I read all the letters. Some of them were very long and the disappointment, resentment and ringing clarity was jarring.

That I hurt anyone by what I said, and I did hurt many, disgusts me. It was not at all my intent but it most certainly was the result.

I have had a life of depression. Some days are excruciating. Knowing what I know and having been through what I have, I should have known better but I obviously did not. I get so mad when I hear that someone has died this way. Not mad at them, mad at whatever got them there and that no one magically appeared to somehow save them.

I am not asking for a break from the caning, take me to the woodshed as much as you see fit. If what I said has caused you to be done with me, I get it.

I wrote something for the LA Weekly that they will post on Monday.

I wanted to get this out at this moment.

I am deeply sorry. Down to my marrow. I can’t think that means anything to you, but I am. Completely sorry. It is not of my interest to hurt anyone but I know I did. Thank you for reading this. Henry

Got the car. It's Ok. It's a step forward for me, because I did some poor things, credit-wise, during college, so this is me moving on from that in my shiny "neeewwww"
2011 Ford Fiesta :shifty:
Fiesta_in_Hot_Magenta.jpg

*Car does not actually come with lightning bolts

I'm so sick of celebrities saying stupid shit and then "apologizing" for it. They can't think it through first?

I think it took guts to post a public retraction. Many wouldn't. He read the responses, thought about what he said and realized he may have been too harsh.

I can respect that.

Back
Top Bottom