Random Music Talk CI - That's When I Reach For My Refresh Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Grace is really well performed. The lyrics are simplistic and nursery rhymey, but "when she walks down the street you can hear the strings" is a great line, and this finish is beautifully written IMO:

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Most importantly, I think the music and production are gorgeous. Eno really hit that one out of the park, and it's pretty much all his show on that track.

Well said. I've always had a soft spot for Grace.

gracejones.jpeg

The only redeeming parts of Unknown Caller for me are the verses. It's not groundbreaking, but it's probably the most interesting guitar work Edge does on what is easily his weakest album. I like that "Talk Show Host" tone he has in that first verse as well as the tone in the second verse Laz mentioned. But yeah, other than that, I really don't like it.

But as Ashley said, Stand Up Comedy is worse in my book.

Having just heard ATYCLB the other day, two things stood out to me:

1. I hate the production. You can hear all of the instruments, but it's all so overdone and artificial sounding despite being a supposed back to basics record. Stuck and Walk On, despite being fundamentally good songs, sound really corny and dated. Elevation (which was awesome live) sounds like crap on record. There are some nice textures later in the album (Peace on Earth, New York, Grace) but the damage is done by that point.

2. If it weren't for some very clumsy writing, New York would be a favorite U2 song for me. It's one of the few songs on the album with some darkness and danger to it. It has such a disturbing atmosphere and Edge's guitar work transitions from graceful to powerful at the drop of a hat. And, lest we forget, it's one of the only creative things Larry has done with a drum kit in years.

I don't dislike all of the lyrics either. It starts off great:

In New York freedom looks like too many choices
In New York I found a friend to drown out the other voices
Voices on the cell phone
Voices from home
Voices of the hard sell
Voices down the stairwell
In New York, just got a place in New York

Bono tries too hard to be clever and opaque after that, but I've always loved that verse.

The only redeeming parts of Unknown Caller for me are the verses. It's not groundbreaking, but it's probably the most interesting guitar work Edge does on what is easily his weakest album. I like that "Talk Show Host" tone he has in that first verse as well as the tone in the second verse Laz mentioned. But yeah, other than that, I really don't like it.
Agreed. The verses are great. The rest is meh.

New Kele single. I like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVBwwSa2Mlw&feature=youtu.be

I don't dislike all of the lyrics either. It starts off great:

In New York freedom looks like too many choices
In New York I found a friend to drown out the other voices
Voices on the cell phone
Voices from home
Voices of the hard sell
Voices down the stairwell
In New York, just got a place in New York
I think this verse is great too.

In New York I lost it all
To you and your vices
Still I'm staying on to figure out
My midlife crisis

I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

Having just heard ATYCLB the other day, two things stood out to me:

1. I hate the production. You can hear all of the instruments, but it's all so overdone and artificial sounding despite being a supposed back to basics record.

I felt the same thing when a strange turn of events had me listening to it on a car CD player a little while ago. The mastering is so hot on the percussion that some parts are almost unlistenable. The cymbals on Stuck especially felt like they were piercing my ears.

Agreed on the New York comments. Something doesn't quite take off for me, and it's not as strong as previous big, dark penultimate tracks (Exit, Acrobat, Dirty Day, Please) but there's some great stuff in there. And it definitely killed live, with Bono and Edge really turning on the jets.

Also nice to see someone else mention Peace On Earth in a positive fashion, even if only about its "texture".

When I Look At The World is still one of my favorite songs from last decade. That guitar solo is jaw dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Unknown Caller would be a perfectly decent song if it weren't for that chorus. It was just embarrassing on 360 with the sing-along lyrics on screen. But I would agree with those who say there are plenty of worse songs to criticise from the last three albums. Yahweh, OOTS, Stand Up Comedy, In a Little While, Stuck, etc.

New York would've been a better song if it were an instrumental. What I think we learnt from Pop and ATYCLB is that Bono really shouldn't try to write songs named after American cities.

As for ATYLCB. I love it dearly. Stuck is maybe their most perfect pop song, to me. New York is sensational, whoever was talking about the mood created is spot on. I also love Grace, I think the production is great and I like both Bono's lyrics and vocals. Peace on Earth gets too much hate, as does Wild Honey (the latter has a great chorus).

I was in Austin today, did not see any deputies or book case molesters though.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference to annoy Cobbler

Didn't know the man plagiarized himself.

Weak sauce.

I prefer the line in Debra. You've got this real smooth, confident slow jam about getting with girls, but then at the end, when it comes time to tell the girl how he really feels, he tries pumping himself up but just can't quite say it, and then that languid guitar slowly fades out, it's just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom