Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very excited about it. I have avoided the new songs so that I can hear the full thing tomorrow.

I will still go to war over the greatness of Modern Vampires...

I will listen to it and hope for the best, but they are such an overrated band. Maybe the single most overrated band of the last 12 or so years.

Are you referring to the melody? There is something familiar about it, but I can't place it.

Yes. And that's the trouble I'm having.

Also, an excellent album start to finish

I might have to check this album out, I really liked Autumn Sweater.

I will listen to it and hope for the best, but they are such an overrated band. Maybe the single most overrated band of the last 12 or so years.

Man I'm with you on this. They are painfully average to my ears. And none of the new songs, which are played ad nauseam on Sirius XMU, are doing anything to change that for me.

Like, Contra is a good album with a few great, catchy songs, and I liked a couple of songs on that last album, but absolutely nothing they have done remotely justifies their standing. It's all built on introducing white indie kids to non-white 'world' music and then employing scarcity and mystery as marketing strategies in the years since.

does greta van fleet count or did they flame out too fast?

I don't think anyone rated them in the first place outside of extremely casual music listeners who claim that guitar rock is dead.

I don't think anyone rated them in the first place outside of extremely casual music listeners who claim that guitar rock is dead.

Why would casual music listeners who claim guitar rock is dead be into a guitar rock band? I'm confused by this sentence.

Why would casual music listeners who claim guitar rock is dead be into a guitar rock band? I'm confused by this sentence.

they're the ones who (wrongly) complain that there is no guitar in modern music, and so when something comes along in the mainstream with identifiable guitar, they love it.

they're the ones who (wrongly) complain that there is no guitar in modern music, and so when something comes along in the mainstream with identifiable guitar, they love it.
Ahhh I see what you mean. So it's people who claim guitar music is dead but also really don't want guitar music to be dead.

Greta Van Fleet are utter shithouse, by the way, so I agree with everyone on that front.

my classic rock radio loving father told me once a little over a year ago that he thought greta van fleet was another nirvana and was about to kickstart an entire new wave of innovation in (mainstream) rock.

my classic rock radio loving father told me once a little over a year ago that he thought greta van fleet was another nirvana and was about to kickstart an entire new wave of innovation in (mainstream) rock.

Nirvana had a unique sound that spoke to generational angst. Greta Van Fleet is a mediocre Led Zeppelin tribute band.

Is Autumn Sweater a well-known Yo La Tengo song? My partner just has Spotify playing and it's really, really nice. I've never heard it before.
My favorite song of theirs.
Very excited about it. I have avoided the new songs so that I can hear the full thing tomorrow.

I will still go to war over the greatness of Modern Vampires...
Samesies.

Greta Van Fleet sounds like the name of a cool Dutch singer. You look at the photos of the band (if you do) and you wonder, 'which one's Greta'?

I say it really quickly so it sounds like I'm saying Greg Fleet

Sorry if my excitement over a band I recently discovered was annoying. Just thought I’d share my excitement over it in here because ummmm...that’s what people do in this thread.

But for a mod to start a thread with the intention of singling out and trolling a member of almost 20 years is probably one of the more childish things I’ve seen here. Diemen, is your intention was to lose yet another member, mission accomplished. Not going to be subjected to that kind of behavior.

There are a good number of you that I’m friends with on Facebook and you can find me there... and please keep in touch. [emoji3590]

Greta Van Fleet sounds like the name of a cool Dutch singer. You look at the photos of the band (if you do) and you wonder, 'which one's Greta'?

When I first heard the name a couple years ago I assumed it was a female solo artist, possibly Scandinavian, then I heard one of their songs and thought somebody unearthed something Jimmy Page had thrown out not intending for it to ever see the light of day and was really confused upon hearing it was Greta Van Fleet, thought that she had a very manly voice.

Sorry if my excitement over a band I recently discovered was annoying. Just thought I’d share my excitement over it in here because ummmm...that’s what people do in this thread.

But for a mod to start a thread with the intention of singling out and trolling a member of almost 20 years is probably one of the more childish things I’ve seen here. Diemen, is your intention was to lose yet another member, mission accomplished. Not going to be subjected to that kind of behavior.

There are a good number of you that I’m friends with on Facebook and you can find me there... and please keep in touch. [emoji3590]

i get your point but please also understand from our perspective how irritating it became to have biffy clyro shoehorned into damn near every conversation in this thread regardless of the topic. it was mildly amusing the first couple times, the 30th time not so much. you know as well as anyone else around here how we have a tendency to turn annoying posts into over-the-top jokes and memes (coughredhillcough).

anyways i hope you stick around.

I gotta be honest, it didn't much impress me, irregardless of my (nonexistent) opinion of Biffy Clyro.

Last edited:
When I first heard the name a couple years ago I assumed it was a female solo artist, possibly Scandinavian, then I heard one of their songs and thought somebody unearthed something Jimmy Page had thrown out not intending for it to ever see the light of day and was really confused upon hearing it was Greta Van Fleet, thought that she had a very manly voice.

What I can't figure is why do all these seventies-leaning revival acts always reach for Plant/Page? To me Led Zeppelin weren't even that interesting the first time around.

it's not really my kind of music to be up to speed on but haven't there been a shit ton of artists lately ripping off taking a lot of inspiration from the glam rock/t rex sort of aesthetic?

Back
Top Bottom