Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone else find the Eminem performance a little odd? People are saying he never performed at the Oscars when he won but I could have sworn he did since U2 lost to him (deservedly so) I remember actually paying attention at the time... Am I wrong?

^ Not even sure I'll buy the record to be honest. There's so much airy fairy synthy wandering that just isn't very interesting. More than ever it feels like his voice is just another instrument. Its at its best when it gets more dancey, dark, house-ier, like Breathe Deeper, which has this irresistible dark piano Secret Life of Arabia vibe to it that I love. A few other tracks are interesting, One More Year, Glimmer, It Might Be Time is one of the already-super-popular tracks, but I quite like it, it's more punchy than most of the rest, like Borderline, which isn't half as good as it thinks it is. Lost in Yesterday is the best example of what the record sounds like. Absolute modern Tame Impala by the numbers. Banal.

^ Not even sure I'll buy the record to be honest. There's so much airy fairy synthy wandering that just isn't very interesting. More than ever it feels like his voice is just another instrument. Its at its best when it gets more dancey, dark, house-ier, like Breathe Deeper, which has this irresistible dark piano Secret Life of Arabia vibe to it that I love. A few other tracks are interesting, One More Year, Glimmer, It Might Be Time is one of the already-super-popular tracks, but I quite like it, it's more punchy than most of the rest, like Borderline, which isn't half as good as it thinks it is. Lost in Yesterday is the best example of what the record sounds like. Absolute modern Tame Impala by the numbers. Banal.

Yeah despite It Might Be Time being one of my favorite songs in a long while, the rest of the album isn't really landing. It's not bad, just incoherent. Every song has little moments that are awesome, but those ideas get abandoned almost as soon as they've started. Frustrating in that regard.

Every song has little moments that are awesome, but those ideas get abandoned almost as soon as they've started.

I haven’t listened to the new Tame Impala record yet, but this is a perfect description of Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes.

Crack Up is a hundred times more interesting in terms of performance and song structure than the Slow Rush. As a huge Tame Impala fan, I hate to say it, but it really comes across as a gooey and formless nothing of an album.

The one saving grace is that the overall sound and feel of the record is second to none. Gonna make a lot of fans happy when they trip to it this weekend.

one of the most anti-capitalist bands ever is charging over $600 for a GA floor ticket.

I assume you are referring to Rage, I guess the fact that everything above face value of $125 is going to charity makes it a little better, but still gouging fans in the name of supposedly trying to thwart scalping. Sell me a concert ticket at a fair price and let me decide to what charity and how much I want to donate.

Crack Up is a hundred times more interesting in terms of performance and song structure than the Slow Rush. As a huge Tame Impala fan, I hate to say it, but it really comes across as a gooey and formless nothing of an album.

The one saving grace is that the overall sound and feel of the record is second to none. Gonna make a lot of fans happy when they trip to it this weekend.

I mean it’s all subjective, but Crack-Up actually made me angry enough to not return to it. I want to listen to Slow Rush again as soon as it ends. [emoji1383]*♂️

There's so much airy fairy synthy wandering

Well we know one person who will be into that:

peter_flies2_adj_680h.jpg

Yeah despite It Might Be Time being one of my favorite songs in a long while, the rest of the album isn't really landing. It's not bad, just incoherent. Every song has little moments that are awesome, but those ideas get abandoned almost as soon as they've started. Frustrating in that regard.

You love it that much? Like fav Tame Imp song in a while or genuine fav song in a while?

Was interested to hear your take on it. It was always going to sound good and for sure it's going to please a huge amount of their fans. But it's not what I'm looking for. I'd welcome a Tame Impala acid house record though, that's for sure.

I mean it’s all subjective, but Crack-Up actually made me angry enough to not return to it.

How come?

How come?

Every time there was a moment for a bit strong obvious melody, they took a turn. It seemed like they intentionally avoided anything like the big glorious melodies on their (far, far superior) debut, which makes sense given a comment Robin Pecknold made either before Crack-Up or Helplessness Blues about how they were going to have less “poppy” melodies. But in this case it felt like they did it just to do it. Nothing goes where you expect, which can be good, sure, unless you are amazing at going where something feels like it should go and not very good at taking left turns.

It made me mad because I loved their first album and first two EPs so much, and still liked Helplessness Blues a whole lot, but thought Crack-Up was just... not good and wholly underwhelming. Maybe Phil Ek was the reason the early stuff was really good. I sure felt his absence.

Anecdotally the only people I “know” who really liked it are on interference. Crazy for living in the band’s hometown.

Last edited:
It made me mad because I loved their first album and first two EPs so much, and still liked Helplessness Blues a whole lot, but thought Crack-Up was just... not good and wholly underwhelming. Maybe Phil Ek was the reason the early stuff was really good. I sure felt his absence.

(whispers) maybe Misty was the reason

Back
Top Bottom