Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, in completely random nonmusic talk, I had never heard of Uluru until today. What the hell, it's incredible. How difficult would it be to visit on a trip to Australia?
had you heard of it before as ayers rock? i was taught a tiny bit about it in school but only using the english name that i don't think is used anymore.

Last edited:
I knew of Uluru from when I was a teenager because of this video:

I honestly thought Uluru was the most famous thing in Australia. Like how if people know one thing about France it's the Eiffel Tower.

The most famous thing in Australia is Fosters. Everyone drinks Fosters. It's like the only reason to get up in the morning.

Oh and kangaroos.

I find that joke so dumb, because no one drinks it, except Paul Hogan in one ad he was paid to do, and I have seen it far more regularly overseas than I have anywhere in Australia.

I find that joke so dumb, because no one drinks it, except Paul Hogan in one ad he was paid to do, and I have seen it far more regularly overseas than I have anywhere in Australia.

That, in itself, was the joke. At least from my end. It's just so pathetic, and yet so often reached for, when the topic of Australia comes up.

I honestly thought Uluru was the most famous thing in Australia. .

giphy.gif

As to how hard it would be to visit Uluru, pretty hard, I'd say. You'd have to drive for a few weeks and then when your car boiled over, hike on foot through the wilderness until your water ran out... which it would... and then pray for a miracle. You'd be like the Trash Can Man. 'Cibola!! My life for you!!!'

Yeah ok, obviously it's not that hard. People go by plane I guess, to the nearest major centre which would be Alice Springs.

Last edited:
As to how hard it would be to visit Uluru, pretty hard, I'd say. You'd have to ride for a few weeks and then when your saddled kangaroo died, hike on foot through the wilderness until your Foster's ran out... which it would... and then pray for a Bloomin' Onion. You'd be like Mick Dundee. 'Thaaat's a knife!!!'

Sounds daunting.

As to how hard it would be to visit Trump Tower, pretty hard, I'd say. You'd have to tweet for a few weeks and then when your saddled squirrel died, hike on foot through Mexico until your Pabst Blue Ribbons ran out... which it would... and then pray for a Hamberder. You'd be like Matt Damon. 'Maaaatt Damon'

Classic American ;)

It’s easy to visit but it will cost a bit.

You also can’t (and shouldn’t anyway) climb it.
Of all people, I am a pretty shocking one to have not known about something like this. I wouldn't want to climb it, but see it? That would be awesome. Sounds difficult, though. Might be why I haven't heard as much about it.
I honestly thought Uluru was the most famous thing in Australia. Like how if people know one thing about France it's the Eiffel Tower.
Like Cobbler said, you guys are very well known for the harbor and opera house over here.
I love and appreciate this reference.

as to how hard it would be to visit trump tower, pretty hard, i'd say. You'd have to tweet for a few weeks and then when your saddled squirrel died, hike on foot through mexico until your pabst blue ribbons ran out... Which it would... And then pray for a hamberder. You'd be like matt damon. 'maaaatt damon'

maaaaaat damon!

As to how hard it would be to visit Trump Tower, pretty hard, I'd say. You'd have to tweet for a few weeks and then when your saddled squirrel died, hike on foot through Mexico until your Pabst Blue Ribbons ran out... which it would... and then pray for a Hamberder. You'd be like Matt Damon. 'Maaaatt Damon'

i really like what you were going for here but the references could use some polishing. 8/10

Is Autumn Sweater a well-known Yo La Tengo song? My partner just has Spotify playing and it's really, really nice. I've never heard it before.

It reminds me a lot of this song, because of the synth (organ?) melody and the hushed vocals.

I'll never forget the first time I heard this song. It was the same night I heard Passion Pit's The Reeling for the first time. We were in crummy motel in Kingaroy, Queensland for one of my cousins' wedding. It was nighttime and I was down. Both songs were playing on Rage. They really spoke to me that night and I've carried them with me ever since.

Is Autumn Sweater a well-known Yo La Tengo song? My partner just has Spotify playing and it's really, really nice. I've never heard it before.

I'd say it's their best-known song, or at least in the top three. Really excellent song from an excellent band.

Also, if anyone can tell me what song Seventeen reminds them of I would be so grateful. It's driving me nuts. Is it a Springsteen song? Or is it just a song that sounds vaguely like a lot of poppy indie rock / Springsteen.
Are you referring to the melody? There is something familiar about it, but I can't place it.

I also strongly believe I have heard the little riff on Memorial Day somewhere before, and I can't place that either. The drums remind me of Warpaint, but that riff I swear is based on something else.

I'd say it's their best-known song, or at least in the top three. Really excellent song from an excellent band.

Also, an excellent album start to finish. I never know which one I like more, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out, or Painful. They have such a fantastic discography. I've never been able to catch their epic Hanukkah shows, but will try to do so this year.

Back
Top Bottom