Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't get why Live at Leeds is so revered. For the time, sure, I get that. But you listen now and it sounds great, but all-timer? Nah.

That extended version of My Generation rules though.

P4k did a retrospective review series on Steely Dan today but skipped over Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic for whatever reason.

Can't Buy a Thrill - 8.6
Katy Lied - 9.1
The Royal Scam - 8.3
Aja - 10
Gaucho - 9.4

Totally out of whack if you ask me, but it's cool that they're using their platform to put younger listeners on to one of my favorite bands ever. And Aja is obviously a 10.

I don't get why Live at Leeds is so revered. For the time, sure, I get that. But you listen now and it sounds great, but all-timer? Nah.

That extended version of My Generation rules though.
Deluxe version with the full performance of Tommy is an absolute behemoth, one of the best live bands ever at their peak. Every track is performed better than the studio take and it's crackling with energy. Like, for real, you don't need to listen to studio Tommy ever again when that exists. Plus it's got Heaven and Hell, a masterful performance of A Quick One...it's so fucking good.

Live at Leeds probably seems underwhelming if you only listen to the 6 track version though.

Last edited:
P4k did a retrospective review series on Steely Dan today but skipped over Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic for whatever reason.

Can't Buy a Thrill - 8.6
Katy Lied - 9.1
The Royal Scam - 8.3
Aja - 10
Gaucho - 9.4

Totally out of whack if you ask me, but it's cool that they're using their platform to put younger listeners on to one of my favorite bands ever. And Aja is obviously a 10.

Deluxe version with the full performance of Tommy is an absolute behemoth, one of the best live bands ever at their peak. Every track is performed better than the studio take and it's crackling with energy. Like, for real, you don't need to listen to studio Tommy ever again when that exists. Plus it's got Heaven and Hell, a masterful performance of A Quick One...it's so fucking good.

Live at Leeds probably seems underwhelming if you only listen to the 6 track version though.

I shall try to track that down.

Meanwhile, get in the damn Nick Cave thread and comment on Ghosteen.

I shall try to track that down.

Meanwhile, get in the damn Nick Cave thread and comment on Ghosteen.
I've only heard it once and it's a mammoth listen so I want to spend a little more time with it and separate it from Skeleton Tree in my mind.

More great stuff from Nick tho

Can't Buy a Thrill - 8.6
Katy Lied - 9.1
The Royal Scam - 8.3
Aja - 10
Gaucho - 9.4

Countdown to Ecstasy is my favorite, so yeah, that's a bummer. The debut album is in no way, shape, or form superior to The Royal Scam, so they lost me there. And sorry but Gaucho may be a little underrated but it ain't a 9.4. Not with the slog of Glamour Profession taking up the bulk of it.

:huh:

Kanye's MBDTF outside the Top 10 in favor of Yeezus is...a choice.

Nice to see Misty's Honeybear so high.

Not even the British publications are going to recognize Los Campesinos? Fuck this.

The new Torres song is really lovely.

Also digging the new Algiers track, which is one of the heaviest things they've done.

Finally, this is a very epic song from new band Porridge Radio. One of those tunes to play loud and just get lost in.

Shockingly high amount of good stuff for December.

Had a really cool experience today. Went to Thornbury Bowls Club (you lot might not even know what lawn bowls is?) for a friend's birthday and they set up a stage in the bowls club overlooking the bowling greens. This place got built in the early 1900s. All ages gig featuring all female bands, and one of the bands dropped out and was replaced by Camp Cope (first time I've actually seen them live), and they were a fucking hoot, the bassist had been at a bottomless brunch all day before getting the callup, so she was smashed and her bandmates were pissing themselves during the whole show and everyone was getting behind her, it was so funny. Felt so light and loose, don't think I'll ever see Camp Cope like that ever again. Then Cable Ties came on and fucking smashed it, they make seriously good punk music. Courtney Barnett was there watching and rocking it drinking Melbourne Bitters. It felt like a very, very Melbourne experience, and a privilege to witness, you wouldn't see either band in such a scenario outside of an event like this.

[tweet]1203638534675976197[/tweet]

The new Torres song is really lovely.

I’m really enjoying both new songs she has released. Happy that she’s making good music after the record label troubles she had to face.

Three Futures still remains such an under appreciated album. I hope she gets some recognition with the new one.

Had a really cool experience today. Went to Thornbury Bowls Club (you lot might not even know what lawn bowls is?) for a friend's birthday and they set up a stage in the bowls club overlooking the bowling greens. This place got built in the early 1900s. All ages gig featuring all female bands, and one of the bands dropped out and was replaced by Camp Cope (first time I've actually seen them live), and they were a fucking hoot, the bassist had been at a bottomless brunch all day before getting the callup, so she was smashed and her bandmates were pissing themselves during the whole show and everyone was getting behind her, it was so funny. Felt so light and loose, don't think I'll ever see Camp Cope like that ever again. Then Cable Ties came on and fucking smashed it, they make seriously good punk music. Courtney Barnett was there watching and rocking it drinking Melbourne Bitters. It felt like a very, very Melbourne experience, and a privilege to witness, you wouldn't see either band in such a scenario outside of an event like this.

[tweet]1203638534675976197[/tweet]

All sounds very Northside!

Back
Top Bottom