Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, I didn’t even know what the difference is. It was very recently that someone explained to me what “the other place” even meant.

I dont really know what to tell you though. Believe it or not lol. I doubt I’m the only one. I guarantee you can trace my first post in one to something probably around 2016, when most niche threads began to die.

If you’re not in on a joke, you’re not in on a joke. And if you’re compartmented from a specific sub forum or topic, you’ll rarely see it. Keep in mind that certain members don’t post in certain sub forums.

To make matters even more complicated, I read active content on web forums, and do not even typically know what sub forum I’m in.
I'll try to sum up for context, while acknowledging that explaining yourself too deep ruins the allure. But it seems fair here.

We in B&C are snobs and wanted to discuss the release of No Line on the Horizon with each other without having to wade into the board's U2 discussion forums with the sycophants. We decided the best way to do this would be to create a thread in B&C for a made up band to be able to discuss U2 without it being obvious what we were doing. Arbitrarily, we chose the name "Shuttlecock," and then went about establishing lore for it by re-writing every U2 song to reference badminton or inside forum jokes. The latter was mostly about Lance's mom. I believe this all began around the time Get on Your Boots was released.

I'll try to sum up for context, while acknowledging that explaining yourself too deep ruins the allure. But it seems fair here.

We in B&C are snobs and wanted to discuss the release of No Line on the Horizon with each other without having to wade into the board's U2 discussion forums with the sycophants. We decided the best way to do this would be to create a thread in B&C for a made up band to be able to discuss U2 without it being obvious what we were doing. Arbitrarily, we chose the name "Shuttlecock," and then went about establishing lore for it by re-writing every U2 song to reference badminton or inside forum jokes. The latter was mostly about Lance's mom. I believe this all began around the time Get on Your Boots was released.

:up: The first thread is legendary... It went downhill from there...

After our discussion on the Pitchfork list, I've been looking at the best of 2000s lists and it's astonishing how the music landscape has changed. I wonder if part of our collective disappointment at the best of 2010s list is that the 2000s were basically the golden age of indie/alternative rock music and it's unreasonable to expect it to be repeated (and many if not most of us became musically mature against this background).

I mean, look at this list:

Kid A / In Rainbows
Funeral / Neon Bible
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot / A Ghost is Born
For Emma, Forever Ago
Is This It
Turn on the Bright Lights
Fleet Foxes
Agaetis Byrjun
Illinois / Seven Swans
Sound of Silver
Boxer/Alligator
You Forgot It In People/ Broken Social Scene
Fever to Tell
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga/Kill the Moonlight/Girls Can Tell
And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Manners
Veckatimest / Yellow House
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
In Ghost Colours
Microcastle
Oh, Inverted World / Chutes Too Narrow
Hold On Now, Youngster / We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

I could go on. It's an unbelievable collection of albums that appeal to indie sensibilities in some way (even if some of them could not be classified as such). The 2010s were never going to match it, so perhaps it's not surprising that other genres are becoming more prominent.

The 2000s were just too good.

After our discussion on the Pitchfork list, I've been looking at the best of 2000s lists and it's astonishing how the music landscape has changed. I wonder if part of our collective disappointment at the best of 2010s list is that the 2000s were basically the golden age of indie/alternative rock music and it's unreasonable to expect it to be repeated (and many if not most of us became musically mature against this background).

I mean, look at this list:

Kid A / In Rainbows
Funeral / Neon Bible
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot / A Ghost is Born
For Emma, Forever Ago
Is This It
Turn on the Bright Lights
Fleet Foxes
Agaetis Byrjun
Illinois / Seven Swans
Sound of Silver
Boxer/Alligator
You Forgot It In People/ Broken Social Scene
Fever to Tell
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga/Kill the Moonlight/Girls Can Tell
And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Manners
Veckatimest / Yellow House
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
In Ghost Colours
Microcastle
Oh, Inverted World / Chutes Too Narrow
Hold On Now, Youngster / We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

I could go on. It's an unbelievable collection of albums that appeal to indie sensibilities in some way (even if some of them could not be classified as such). The 2010s were never going to match it, so perhaps it's not surprising that other genres are becoming more prominent.

The 2000s were just too good.

The 2000s were certainly a golden age for indie rock, as you your list illustrates, but alternative rock was a different thing imo - in my view, the golden age of alt rock was in the 90s(actually starting in the late 80s)...

Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop
Nevermind/In Utero/Unplugged From New York
Ten/Vs/Vitalogy/No Code/Yield
Facelift/Dirt/Sap/Jar Of Flies/AIC
Badmoterfinger/Superunknown/Down On The Upside
Dookie/Insomniac/Nimrod
BloodSugarSexMagik/One Hot Minute/Californication
Out Of Time/Automatic For The People/Monster/New Adventures
The Bends/OK Computer
Loveless
Weezer(Blue Album)/Pinkerton
Definitely Maybe/Morning Glory/Be Here Now
Gish/Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie/Adore
The Colour And The Shape/There Is Nothing Left To Lose
Under The Table And Dreaming/Crash/Before These Crowded Streets
Jagged Little Pill/Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy/Surfacing
Little Earthquakes/Under The Pink/Boys For Pele/From The Choirgirl Hotel
Tuesday Night Music Club/Sheryl Crowe/Globe Sessions
Seal/Seal II
Violator/Songs Of Faith And Devotion
Ritual de lo habitual
In The Aeroplane Under The Sea
Downward Spiral
RATM
Stone Temple Pilots
Gin Blossoms
Blind Melon
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Counting Crows

As for the P4K list, the 2000s were great, but there's been plenty of good music in the 2010s as well, it just wasn't represented well on their list.

Even though the 2000s were the decade of my adolescence and the period when I really fell in love with music, I think the 2010s dunked on it with its quantity and variety of great albums. I've had a decade to dig through the 2000s in retrospect and there just isn't that overwhelming bounty of greatness. I've seen a similar sentiment echoed all over as people put together their 2010s lists.

But, as Gump alluded to, if you mostly focus on a few genres, your opinion on this matter will be skewed towards the heyday of whatever those genres may have been.

"Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."

Last edited:
Gave the Kanye album a listen this morning and it's...forgettable. Of course there are a few cool production moments but it just feels lightweight and not very exciting.

The new Kanye is fucking horrendous. The most I have been annoyed by an overt religiousness in a piece of music since I tried to listen to In Aeroplane Over the Sea.

The most I have been annoyed by an overt religiousness in a piece of music since I tried to listen to In Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Huh, I never thought of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea has a particularly overly religious work. Lyrically, it seems mostly to have inspired one of two opinions in most people: "It's about Anne Frank" or "I have utterly no idea what he's singing about".

The new Kanye is fucking horrendous. The most I have been annoyed by an overt religiousness in a piece of music since I tried to listen to In Aeroplane Over the Sea.

for me it was coloring book by chance the rapper. at least this one is less than 30 minutes long.

Huh, I never thought of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea has a particularly overly religious work. Lyrically, it seems mostly to have inspired one of two opinions in most people: "It's about Anne Frank" or "I have utterly no idea what he's singing about".

I am referring only to King of Carrot Flowers pt 2. you're probably quite right, but regardless, I turned that album off after the start of that song and never went back.

for me it was coloring book by chance the rapper. at least this one is less than 30 minutes long.

Colouring Book has a lot of good songs.

Thought someone else would have chimed in on the new Tame Impala song:

Starts off kinda mellow and I was like “this is what they’re leading with?” but once it kicks in it’s pretty damned great.

I feel pretty meh about it.

I don't know, man. Lonerism is so good, but I've been underwhelmed by nearly everything he's done since. He doesn't seem interested in the psych-rock sound of that record anymore.

It's a good track. He's moved on from rock to writing really great psych-infused pop.

Nothing wrong whatsoever with songs like Let It Happen, Eventually and The Less I Know the Better.

I really like it. Judging by the P4K review of the song, it looks like they're turning on them ;)

I think it's rockier than you're both giving it credit for, too. Love the drums, KP produced the whole thing as usual but definitely got some Fridmann vibes there.

Borderline is on the album too, though the other single they put out, Patience, is not.

Lonerism will always be my favourite.

Firmly in the Currents camp. In fact I probably prefer Innerspeaker to Lonerism.

Currents blew my mind and it still sounds as good today as it did four years ago.

I dig it.

I've been listening to her Three Futures album a lot recently, and it's so good. I really think it might end up in my top 10 of the decade. The album is full of eminently hummable pop melodies that, if produced in a different way in a different time(say 20-25 years ago), may have been pop-rock hits that dominated FM radio. Instead, these melodies and vocal hooks are delivered over these sparse, part-electronic part-rock soundscapes and the result is something that sounds rather unique to me. The combination of the melodies, the spacey instrumentation, and her strong, slightly off-kilter vocals is just doing it for me.

This new single seems like more of the same, and I'm down for it.

She makes such good music, I love her. I really like Righteous Woman from the last album. Love the warm synths and the floaty "I am not a righteous woman..." followed by the sneer "I'm more of ass man"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom