Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha that's so good, as is the Twitter thread.

This sentence kills me: "Benji received a 9.2 upon release, landed at #7 on their top albums of 2014 list, and landed at #9 on their top albums of 2010-2014 list"

Benji and Bloom weren't quoted in any of the Black Lives Matter rally planning threads I attended on Twitter, so they obviously weren't part of the cultural moment.

Two 9s for Big Thief in the space of a few months, and no representation on the albums list haha.

Best of decade list aside, I'm so happy for them. They are an incredible band. I haven't heard the new one yet, but UFOF remains one of my favorite records in recent years, and Cattails is a strong contender for Song of the Year for me.

Ah you are right. #33, the second highest placement for a 2019 album (behind Norman Fucking Rockwell!).

So, in case anyone was wondering, after sorta breaking out with that debut album of his, apparently Jimmy Whispers went to rehab.

BUT NOW HE'S BACK:

I was browsing around Rate Your Music's best-of lists last night and randomly found an album called Giles Corey by an artist of the same name. I gave it a listen out of curiosity and was floored by it. One of the most interesting, eclectic explorations of grief and depression I have heard in a long time. I would recommend it for anyone who likes Nick Cave's recent work, for example.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Giles Corey an alterego of one of the people behind Have a Nice Life? I never got around to it, but damn Deathconsciousness is a good album.

A while back, I was posting commentary as I worked through the Saint Etienne discography, but I took a long break. Now I'm at Good Humor and think I've found my favorite. This is virtually perfect, a catchy, smooth and engaging collection of soul and lounge with just enough kick to the electronic influences to give it a danceable, modern sheen. If this came out in 2019, it would be one of my favorite albums of the year.

Fuck yeah!

A lot of the old school SE fans prefer one of the earlier albums, but as someone who first discovered them with Good Humor, I think they’re insane. Pop music doesn’t get any better than this. Expertly produced, and sounds “retro” but also timeless in the sense that you can’t date it to 1998. It conjures up something cinematic and comfy that you want to go live inside and never return.

Pretty sure it would be in my Top 20 albums of all time.

Also, the U.S. release came with a full-length bonus disc (b-sides and outtakes from the same sessions), some of the tracks as good as anything on Good Humor.

Guessing it wasn't part of the playlist you got, but you might be able to find it under its own title "Fairfax High". It's cut very much from the same cloth and you'll probably enjoy most of it.

Looking at the list Whitney Houston (she's so rock n roll) looks like the most likely shoo-in, followed by Biggie.

7 who should get in: Biggie, Soundgarden, NIN, Depeche Mode, MC5, DMB and Judas Priest.

Based on the hall's gloried history, 7 who likely will get in: Whitney Houston, Doobie Brothers, Rufus w/Chaka Khan, Biggie, Todd Rundgren, Thin Lizzy & T. Rex.

My choices would be

Depeche Mode
Soundgarden
DMB
Biggie
Kraftwerk(for their influence alone)

I'll be honest and say that I haven't listened to anything DMB has done in nearly 20 years, but that run of records they put out in the 90s - Under The Table And Dreaming, Crash, and Before These Crowded Streets - are classic and I don't understand why the band gets so much shit.

Also, Soundgarden getting in would be pretty bittersweet with Cornell getting in posthumously.

Thanks for doing that same thing every single time a band you don’t like is posted about, since this is actually the Random Music Laz Likes Thread.

I'll always give a Coldplay album a chance, because those first two records - Parachutes and Rush Of Blood - are seminal records of the 00-09 decade, and even if I don't care much for much of what came after, they're still worth giving a shot based on those two albums. Not saying my expectations are at all high, but I'll give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom