Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s criminal that they’re not more well known in the states. But it’ll be nice when they tour because I’ll get to see them in a smaller venue.

I found it a bit odd, this sudden wave of attention here in Aus and then back to silence.

This has been a ridiculously slow year. Only Deerhunter and Toro y Moi have been in consistent rotation for me.
It's starting to get better now, the last two weeks have had some great new releases. Anderson Paak, TR/ST and Lizzo will all likely end up in my top 15.

What is Lizzo? Hearing a bit bout it.

Assume Form would be my #1 I guess, although the songs are so catchy I'm starting to get sick of the album a bit lol. I think once I give them more spins Helado Negro, Sharon van Etten and Nilüfer Yanya will be amongst me favs.

It all gets shut down 17 May tho when THE NASH! drop their new album.

Also I feel like so often I hear albums and hear things I like but then don't feel drawn to go back to them... but if I kept playing them I'd be a fan. Weyes Blood a good example. I think I've spun it three times and enjoyed it but don't feel that drawn to go back to it.

My partner has a very different listening style, she'd only hear a few albums a year but she flogs the shit out of them. I was pretty meh on Oxnard, but Em played it so much I ended up liking it.

This has been a ridiculously slow year. Only Deerhunter and Toro y Moi have been in consistent rotation for me.

Jeez, nothing in 3 months? I was a little underwhelmed back in February, but March and April were/have been really good.

Some damn good albums from this year, bolding the ones I think you would really like in particular:

Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs
Spellling - Mazy Fly
Durand Jones & The Indications - American Love Call
Little Simz - Grey Area
Solange - When I Get Home
Stella Donnelly - Beware of the Dogs
The Comet Is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
Orville Peck - Pony
These New Puritans - Inside the Rose
American Football - American Football
La Dispute - Panorama
Marvin Gaye - You're the Man (unreleased album from 1972)
Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Hiding Places
Quelle Chris - Guns

PUP - Morbid Stuff
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Anderson .Paak - Ventura
TR/ST - The Destroyer - 1
Lizzo - Cuz I Love You

The Comet Is Coming and These New Puritans' albums are pretty much slam dunks.

I found it a bit odd, this sudden wave of attention here in Aus and then back to silence.

What's strange is that the 2 albums (Opposites & Ellipsis) have at least 5 songs that easily could have gained a lot of radio play worldwide. Their concerts in the UK are sold out. Hell, they sold out Wembley.

What are some of our favorite albums so far this year? I need to get more serious about staying up to date.

I really like Remind Me Tomorrow by Sharon Van Etten, Eraserland by Strand Of Oaks and Lacuna by Trixie Whitley. I've also just bought This Wild Willing by Glen Hansard as the songs I've heard so far sound quite intriguing (i.e. a bit different than the usual singer-songwriter template).

I don't quite understand what people like about this album.
Being a singer/songwriter album, people like it for the singing (charisma, quality vocal melodies) and songwriting (sturdy chord progressions, funny and sometimes startling feminist lyricism). I enjoyed that the album sounded relaxing and sonically pleasing while keeping me on edge the whole time because of the caustic lyricism.

One of those records I liked from the jump, but I was most impressed of all with Donnelly herself. I could tell within a few tracks that she was a star in the making.

Last edited:
Being a singer/songwriter album, people like it for the singing (charisma, quality vocal melodies) and songwriting (sturdy chord progressions, funny and sometimes startling feminist lyricism). I enjoyed that the album sounded relaxing and sonically pleasing while keeping me on edge the whole time because of the caustic lyricism.

One of those records I liked from the jump, but I was most impressed of all with Donnelly herself. I could tell within a few tracks that she was a star in the making.

All good with the feminist slant, but aside from that I had the opposite impression with it. I couldn't get past her twee vocals and felt that the lyricism and its delivery was often awkward, especially in a song like Tricks.

Saw Kurt Vile and the Violators last night. Was a great show. It might have been a bit of a struggle had the set played out like the ones he's playing regularly, but midway through he brought Courtney on stage :love: and they did two tracks from Lotta Sea Lice, including my absolute favourite from that record, Continental Breakfast, which made me so so so happy. Of the tracks I did know, Bassackwards ruled (especially thanks to a pronounced snare drum), Wakin on a Pretty Day was out-of-this-world good, featured some absolutely amazing shredding. KV Crimes was terrific and Pretty Pimpin was tight and enjoyable. Songs I didn't know that I really dug were Wild Imagination (this was a serious highlight) and Mutinies and Jesus Fever and Loading Zones and Heart Attack.

Songs I didn't know that I really dug were Wild Imagination (this was a serious highlight) and Mutinies and Jesus Fever and Loading Zones and Heart Attack.
How do you know Bassackwards but not Loading Zones?

I'm also jumping on the Weyes Blood train. Great album.

I just saw that on Twitter as well - definitely checking it out. Who knew?

Wish I still had the sheet music for The Way It Is, now that I have my piano...

Is making thread titles while Cobbler is offline still a thing we’re doing? Because someone other than me should probably do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom