Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, gump!

Mofo, that tweet from "loserboy" is one of the DJs at Seattle's famous KEXP. He's one of the only DJs on the station I consistently listen to because I love so much of what he plays. He'll play the occasional U2, which always makes me smile to hear it on the "indie" station. And he, and the station in particular, have gotten hugely involved in mental health support and the like, lots of listeners sharing stories of depression and anxiety. It's quite lovely, and whenever I hear him say "you are not alone," I appreciate it so much.

Also, because this is Seattle, he just announced he's opening a vegan, David Bowie-themed vinyl bar this spring.

Mofo, that tweet from "loserboy" is one of the DJs at Seattle's famous KEXP. He's one of the only DJs on the station I consistently listen to because I love so much of what he plays. He'll play the occasional U2, which always makes me smile to hear it on the "indie" station. And he, and the station in particular, have gotten hugely involved in mental health support and the like, lots of listeners sharing stories of depression and anxiety. It's quite lovely, and whenever I hear him say "you are not alone," I appreciate it so much.

Also, because this is Seattle, he just announced he's opening a vegan, David Bowie-themed vinyl bar this spring.

:up:

I've subscribed to KEXP's Youtube channel for years. They upload awesome in studio performance videos almost daily.

Example:

Last edited:
Travis told me there was big buzz that a major album was going to surprise drop today, but that the rumors were it was Solange, which, that's cool, but that's not like, say, Oasis getting back together and dropping an album or something, you know? Her sister kinda pioneered the surprise album drop, so it's not that big a deal, imo, as what maybe it could've been.

This has been one of the most boring starts to any year in music this decade, so this surprise drop is very welcome.

I'm really happy so far, James Blake and Broken Social Scene and Sharon Van Etten. I get what you're saying but I think my days of obsessively listening to heaps of new albums are over.

Even with my slowdown in album listening over the years, I can still tell this start has been pretty slow.

I mind a little because I'm trying to keep up a little better this year, and it's disappointing when I'm not getting much out of it. The Twilight Sad's album is about the only thing I've felt strongly about.

But in general music hasn't been moving me as much, lately, which is a more overall general bummer. I've started turning back to more reliable music. For example I've been listening through R.E.M.'s discography the last few weeks. That's been a great time, I like them way more than I used to.

I've been doing a similar-ish thing :) just going through some old stuff that I've not heard, listening to old records I've had for ages, spinning classics as they pop into my mind. I've listened to Teho Teardo, Blixa Bargeld, Bob Seger, Liz Phair, Arctic Monkeys, The Roches, The Beatles, it's been good.

All I care about is that Biffy Clyro have 1, possibly 2 albums coming out this year. And they've been amping up the Instagram hype recently. [emoji106]

I had Seasons by Future Islands on my mind the other day so I re-listened to Singles and realized I really really like that album. Great band.

I'm ok with 2019 so far, with BSS, Deerhunter, Sharon Van Etten, Beirut and now Solange. Maybe no great new surprises so far, but some reliable stuff. Plus there are the Vampire Weekend and Carly Rae Jepsen songs coming out steadily. But looking at the coming weeks, there's not much I'm looking forward to. Andrew Bird on March 22, Anderson.Paak on April 12 and Big Thief on May 3 are the albums I'll get on release day.

I've obviously been a little bit behind so far this year, but I think it's started very strongly. Health, The End of the Ocean, and Neøv have all released extremely good albums. Mono's is pretty good, though not great like their last two. La Dispute's singles have me hyped for the album when it drops.

Also, good EP by Bec Stevens, for anyone who wants something similar to Camp Cope in style but with a good singer.

Has anyone listened to the Solange album yet? Pretty disappointing for me. I really liked A Seat At The Table, and so far this new one is nowhere near as interesting for me.

I feel y'all with the boring start to music this year. I've just thrown myself into podcasts while commuting. And today, since I wanted some music, I put Jimmy Eat World's discography on shuffle. At least we've got time to revisit older stuff.

Has anyone listened to the Solange album yet? Pretty disappointing for me. I really liked A Seat At The Table, and so far this new one is nowhere near as interesting for me.
Loved it actually, one of the only albums this year that has really impressed me. It blends together a bit, but the production is stellar and the sequencing is perfect. It reminds me of Frank Ocean's more recent work, as well as some of Tyler the Creator's collaborations with Kali Uchis and Steve Lacy.

I saw in my trusty Q magazind that Elbow should have something new this year. They're playing a bunch of festivals this summer, so I wondered if new music was coming.

Impatiently waiting for the Robyn show to start here in Seattle.

Loved it actually, one of the only albums this year that has really impressed me. It blends together a bit, but the production is stellar and the sequencing is perfect. It reminds me of Frank Ocean's more recent work, as well as some of Tyler the Creator's collaborations with Kali Uchis and Steve Lacy.

I thinK the Frank Ocean comparison is pretty apt. The transition from her debut to When I Get Home feels similar to Channel Orange -> Blonde. The immediacy or standout tracks isn’t quite there, but the whole thing strikes me as a much more mature album and cohesive artistic statement (and I absolutely loved A Seat at the Table). It’s unfair to expect a new Cranes in the Sky, but I’m enjoying it a whole deal.

What do people think of the new Ladytron album? I keep hearing it's good, but I haven't found the few tracks from it I've heard to be all that memorable.

What do people think of the new Ladytron album? I keep hearing it's good, but I haven't found the few tracks from it I've heard to be all that memorable.

Knew I'd forgotten something from my post. Good but not Velocifero or Witching Hour. Then again, was it ever going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom