Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's funny reading all these pearl-clutching articles about adam levine taking his shirt off at halftime and how it's apparently really unfair (and also racist and sexist) to poor janet jackson, because i have not seen literally a single one of these articles/blog posts/tweets actually remember or mention that red hot chili peppers did the entire half time show topless like 3 years ago without anyone caring whatsoever then about poor janet jackson.

Imagine if Biffy Clyro played the Super Bowl! That would be nipple outrage!

Oh yes. Lesson learned in so many ways.

Laz is also correct.

He is correct, indeed, though I also admit to having fun in Texas. Lots of good food in Austin, plus all the sweet fireworks that are illegal in other, more reasonable states.

I grew up ten miles from the Texas panhandle in the Oklahoma panhandle. So I’m naturally against Texas in all its forms, even though I’m super close to being from there and might as well be.

Also, everyone has really slept on Metric's album from last year, Art of Doubt. The run from Now or Never Now through to Dressed to Suppress is as good as anything they have ever recorded. There are some weaker tracks at each end of the album, but damn I've been cranking those middle tracks so much lately. I keep meaning to finalise my 2018 album rankings - a certain hospitalisation set that back! - and every time I revise them I find Metric creeping further and further upwards.

I hope B&C can survive through the end of this year. We need a best albums of the decade thread.

How many will Kendrick place in the top 10?

Trying to spin a different album by a female artist every week.

I've been listening to Shawn Colvin's "Sunny Came Home"(from the 90s) a lot this week. Underrated song. I don't anything else from that album(other than "Nothin' On Me", which was one of the other singles).

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Tinderbox, also Peepshow. They obviously had other albums - many, many other albums - but those are two I have recently listened to a bit. Don't know if that counts as a 'female artist' but the eponymous Siouxsie had a large hand in the songwriting as well as the performing.

Last edited:
I think To Pimp A Butterfly and Good Kid M.A.A.D. City would make it in mine. I'll also probably hold my nose and vote for MBDTF.

It's reaaally hard to put together a list for this decade. So many contenders for the top 5: Carrie & Lowell, Channel Orange, A Moon Shaped Pool, Black Messiah, Lonerism, Bloom, The Idler Wheel... (although I don't listen to it that much these days), Strange Mercy, Kaputt (not in my top 10 but certain to be an Interference favorite), Blackstar, Let England Shake, plus the Kendricks and MBDTF.

Despite winning or being runner-up (I think) for B&C best album of the year for all their 2010s releases, I think The National may miss the top 10 entirely because this forum cannot agree on their favorite album, so High Violet/Trouble Will Find Me/Sleep Well Beast will split the vote.

I can't believe it's been 9 years since High Violet was released.

Last edited:
Top 10 albums of the 2010s? Kendrick wouldn't make it for me. I mean, he's the best hip-hop artist in the game right now, but it's just hard for hip-hop in general to crack lists like these for me...maybe back in the 90s, but not now.

For me it would probably be - in no particular order - A Moon Shaped Pool, both Bowie records(The Next Day, Blackstar), Lonerism, The Suburbs, Janelle Monae's Electric Lady, Robyn's Body Talk, probably at least one Esperanza Spalding album(though not sure which one), Songs Of Innocence(come at me), and...maybe Solange's "Seat At The Table" or that Gaga/Tony Bennet collab(I like jazzy Gaga).

I know one album that would be in my top 10.

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance

Without looking into my collection or thinking on it too much, my first reaction is that Los Camp’s Romance is Boring would be my #1. And it came out right at the beginning of the decade.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that it's from this decade. Good call.

Top 10 albums of the 2010s? Kendrick wouldn't make it for me. I mean, he's the best hip-hop artist in the game right now, but it's just hard for hip-hop in general to crack lists like these for me...maybe back in the 90s, but not now.

Why?

MBDTF, Kaputt, American Dream, Blackstar, Bon Iver, Bon Iver, To Pimp a Butterfly, Romance is Boring, Trouble Will Find Me, would be right up there off the top of my head.

No females. :/

The artist most likely to have two entries for me? Nick Cave.

I know one album that would be in my top 10.

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance

Very confused this post does not mention Biffy Clyro.

Hard to even start thinking about a top ten albums of the decade. So many superb contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom