Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s crazy. It’s 50 here, id pass some of those degrees east if that was a thing possible. At least enough to knock out the windchill. Damn.

I normally say that I prefer cold to heat, because there's only so much you can take off in the obscene heat of the Australian summer. But I've learnt I have no idea what to even do when the mercury drops below about -10C. Even below about zero is a little challenging, given my phone doesn't seem fond of working in subzero temperatures.

It's been funny trying to describe Australian winter to some of the nurses in the hospital here in Stavanger, because I'm describing weather warmer than the summers in the hometowns they're from further north in Norway. And thanks again for the well wishes folks; I'm hoping I might be getting close to clearance to fly home, though the doctors are wary about the extreme length of the flight. I can't wait to get back to my place but I certainly appreciate their caution.

I know if I ever moved back to the midwest, I'd get used to the cold just like I did back then, but there's no getting used to the shit like this. At least it's not every year, and it's short-lived.

That being said, I'd rather be too cold than too hot, as it's easier to warm up than cool down. Being too hot makes me crabby and anxious. (Yes, I like to travel to hot places, but it's because having an ocean right there makes all the difference.)

It’s currently 74° here. We still don’t have an ocean, though, so you win some, you lose some.

It was -15 celsius this morning during my commute to work, so there's that.

Seriously, what do you people do with your phones? My iPhone often just... turns itself off in subzero weather. When I was in Prague a couple of weekends ago, I twice had to plug it into my portable charger because it simply turned off at 40+% and refused to turn back on until getting some of the good stuff from the charger.

I was, admittedly, holding it in my hands a lot to take photos or use maps.

But it died once in my pocket too. Perhaps I am a lizard.

I have had a phone die one time because of cold. I was in the mountains in upstate New York filming a video in below freezing weather. That was also an almost three year old phone at the time, I do think my current phone, which is just a few months old, would handle it a bit better.

The sort of cold we had this week (it was -21 celsius wind chill on my morning commute) is not the sort in which I have my phone out. My hands are in gloves at that temperature.

i think revolver has been supplanted by by the white album as my favourite beatles record thanks to the 2018 mix. giles martin needs to be given free rein to do this with every beatles album immediately.

If anyone is still into Guided By Voices and not overwhelmed by their output they just released Zeppelin Over China.. their second double album since 2017’s double album August By Cake.. and it doesn’t suck and I prefer it over ABC. It boggles my mind that this late in the game Robert Pollard can write songs that don’t suck.

An old iphone once crapped out on me in the Texas panhandle because it was too damn hot. It said that it was crapping out and I could only use it for emergency calls.

That’s to avoid Note 7 situations.

I’ve only had my phone shut down because it was too hot. I left it plugged into the charger and on the passenger seat while driving last summer when it was in the mid 90s, black case in direct sunlight
and it was like “powering down to avoid melting now, put your phone somewhere cool immediately.”

Same phone was just fine in subzero Fahrenheit temps in my pocket and I didn’t know that powering down because cold was a thing til this thread.

If anyone is still into Guided By Voices and not overwhelmed by their output they just released Zeppelin Over China.. their second double album since 2017’s double album August By Cake.. and it doesn’t suck and I prefer it over ABC. It boggles my mind that this late in the game Robert Pollard can write songs that don’t suck.
I might change my mind on this, but so far I rate it the best thing Pollard has done in about 2 decades.

it's funny reading all these pearl-clutching articles about adam levine taking his shirt off at halftime and how it's apparently really unfair (and also racist and sexist) to poor janet jackson, because i have not seen literally a single one of these articles/blog posts/tweets actually remember or mention that red hot chili peppers did the entire half time show topless like 3 years ago without anyone caring whatsoever then about poor janet jackson.

Last edited:
Trying to spin a different album by a female artist every week. Today I listened to The Roches' self-titled debut. I think I was introduced to it either through a DI list or a Pitchfork best of the 70s list.

Odd album! It is at its best when it it's ethereal, probably the three songs with the biggest Fripp influence (imo) - Hammond Song (out of this world good), The Train and Quitting Time. We is about the weirdest opening track I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom