Random Movie Talk XII: A Locker Full of Hurtin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NSW, it was that thing Weiner said about lasting through the 60s and jumping ahead two years every new season. Considering that's not really what happened from S2 to S3, he and I might just be full of shit. Nevertheless, I hope they know what they're doing. If not, they've got me fooled. S3 was likely my favorite yet.

With an hour long drama, I'm much less like to suffer from Office Syndrome, that is I won't just gut it out till the end because I've invested so much time in it already. 23 minutes out of my week isn't a big deal considering I've already made it through five seasons, no matter how bad it's getting. Being smack dab in the middle of three great comedies isn't hurting that, either.

NSW, it was that thing Weiner said about lasting through the 60s and jumping ahead two years every new season. Considering that's not really what happened from S2 to S3, he and I might just be full of shit. Nevertheless, I hope they know what they're doing. S3 was likely my favorite yet, so I'm sticking around.

With an hour long drama, I'm much less like to suffer from Office Syndrome, that is I won't just gut it out till the end because I've invested so much time in it already. 23 minutes out of my week isn't a big deal considering I've already made it through five seasons.

I have zero problem with a multi-season series if the show's good. I simply don't care about the time investment if it's worth it. But, the second I sense that wheels are just spinning, I will bail, except for LOST but that's a different animal as far as I'm concerned.

I definitely remember Weiner saying that, yeah. S1 remains my favorite but I liked S3 a lot.

I watched Bronson tonight vis the FLIX! stream.

Evil Picard Clone was something fierce in that, apart from that, I thought that it was pretty forgettable.

After the Jim/Pam Baby episode, I've decided to effectively quit on The Office. I can't justify wasting 20-30 minutes of my time on characters I don't care about anymore going through situations that are neither engaging or enjoyable.

I also need to revisit BSG, since I never got past Season 3...

Evil Picard Clone was something fierce in that, apart from that, I thought that it was pretty forgettable.

After the Jim/Pam Baby episode, I've decided to effectively quit on The Office. I can't justify wasting 20-30 minutes of my time on characters I don't care about anymore going through situations that are neither engaging or enjoyable.

I also need to revisit BSG, since I never got past Season 3...

I bailed on The Office when Michael drove his car into the Lake. That's just too fucking stupid to be believed, and no writing staff or show runner that allows that deserves to be watched any further. It was never that great to begin with but that was just horrid.

Yeah, Shinzon was a force to be reckoned with but the film was, and I rarely say something like this, but, too stylized for me/the subject matter, at least as I saw it.

The biggest problem with The Office at this point is the way things always work out by the end of the episode. It doesn't matter what inconceivable thing Michael does, he's going to keep his job. The Michael Scott Paper Company thing when Wallace brought back Michael, Pam, and Ryan was a joke. It's like the folks behind the show think we're stupid at this point. "Oh, just have Jim make a face and Dwight say something weird and no one will care anyway." Wrong. The entire premise of the show doesn't make sense anymore.

That and the fact that the dump scene with Michael and Dwight this past week had the worst green screen treatment since Denny's ill-fated encounter with Chris-R.

Edit: Shit, I forgot about the lake thing. Good lord.

I happened upon this on youtube tonight. It's a parody of a trailer for a Scorsese movie using Sesame Street clips and various soundbytes from real Scorsese trailors. It's funnier than it sounds...to me anyway. The part with Grover/Pesci and the little Asian girl in particular cracked me up.

YouTube - Sesame Streets

I bailed on The Office when Michael drove his car into the Lake. That's just too fucking stupid to be believed, and no writing staff or show runner that allows that deserves to be watched any further. It was never that great to begin with but that was just horrid.

Yeah, Shinzon was a force to be reckoned with but the film was, and I rarely say something like this, but, too stylized for me/the subject matter, at least as I saw it.

That was a sign of things to come, for sure, but I think the show was at least consistently good up until the end of Season 4, which I know you have reservations toward.

Bronson's a case where the style almost feels incongruent with the subject matter and delivers a big plate of unnecessary shit. It makes me happy to see that Shinzon's at least in Inception.

The biggest problem with The Office at this point is the way things always work out by the end of the episode. It doesn't matter what inconceivable thing Michael does, he's going to keep his job. The Michael Scott Paper Company thing when Wallace brought back Michael, Pam, and Ryan was a joke. It's like the folks behind the show think we're stupid at this point. "Oh, just have Jim make a face and Dwight say something weird and no one will care anyway." Wrong. The entire premise of the show doesn't make sense anymore.

That and the fact that the dump scene with Michael and Dwight this past week had the worst green screen treatment since Denny's ill-fated encounter with Chris-R.

Edit: Shit, I forgot about the lake thing. Good lord.

Or the fact that they feel that they have to continue an "office love" dynamic between any two characters at a given time, whether it be Michael/Holly or now Andy/Erin. That wasn't a real sentence, but the show doesn't deserve that at this point. Michael's become such a useless character that it's almost beyond comprehension.

Oh man.

That was a sign of things to come, for sure, but I think the show was at least consistently good up until the end of Season 4, which I know you have reservations toward.

Bronson's a case where the style almost feels incongruent with the subject matter and delivers a big plate of unnecessary shit. It makes me happy to see that Shinzon's at least in Inception.

Disagree with first paragraph content, very much agree with everything in the 2nd. Shinzon was in Layer Cake, too. Now that was stylized, too,but I liked it.

Let's go home, YLB.

mo-room24_ph_0500059948.jpg

The last 10 seconds of Layer Cake almost undermine the entire movie for me. Same goes to 500 Days of Summer, to a greater degree, sadly. The more it's discussed and more that I think about it, the less I like it, though I still do.

The Wire was a notable exception, and their seasons were 13 episodes each, I think, except for Season 5 which was 10. It also shifted focus, if not out of Baltimore then at least towards different issues plaguing the city.

Wow, I had no idea The Wire was so concise and well-structured from the sound of it. I'll definitely be checking it out in that case.

Also, LMP if the current Lost fans haven't given in to how fucking tremendously inane the show has been the last two seasons, there's no way in hell they're going to go ape-shit over even the most ridiculous of endings.

Wow, I had no idea The Wire was so concise and well-structured from the sound of it. I'll definitely be checking it out in that case.

Also, LMP if the current Lost fans haven't given in to how fucking tremendously inane the show has been the last two seasons, there's no way in hell they're going to go ape-shit over even the most ridiculous of endings.

Tell that to my friends two floors down from me who watch it Tuesday night without fail.

Let's go home, YLB.

mo-room24_ph_0500059948.jpg

Speaking of The Room, I got a spot on the film committee in charge of programming for the school theater, particularly midnights, so you know what that means.

Tell that to my friends two floors down from me who watch it Tuesday night without fail.

That's kind of my point. The show is fucking atrocious right now and has been for a while. Yet so many of the devotees are still lapping the shit up. I don't think anything the writers on that show could do now would dissuade them.

The last 10 seconds of Layer Cake almost undermine the entire movie for me. Same goes to 500 Days of Summer, to a greater degree, sadly. The more it's discussed and more that I think about it, the less I like it, though I still do.

Agreed.
The guy that shoots Craig, that sleazy kid, he's also John motherfucking Keats!

The show has been more bad than good the last season or two, but, I'm hooked anyway. I'll ride it out and hope for the best. If the end sucks, I'll say it sucked.

Imps, Madmin's at the top of the QUEUE! though it's on Short Wait already.

Oh, Lost. I'm still planning on holding out until the series ends to watch it all at once, mostly to see the mostly obnoxious fan reaction to the ending that will inevitably disappoint them.

I want to hold out on Lost until it's all out on DVD, but I get the feeling spoilers are going to be inevitable (think Sopranos )

Agreed.
The guy that shoots Craig, that sleazy kid, he's also John motherfucking Keats!

The show has been more bad than good the last season or two, but, I'm hooked anyway. I'll ride it out and hope for the best. If the end sucks, I'll say it sucked.

That anachronistically good-looking son of a bitch.

lost isn't close to great right now, but it's so close to the end that i'm sticking with it out of sheer curiosity and habit. really, curiosity is the only reason i stuck around after the third season anyway. the only thing i've had a longer relationship with is breathing.

they're trying to fit too much into very little time, and also i'm sure some of the superb build-up from seasons past was always going to produce a let down.

I'm still loving Lost. If that makes me a sucker, then so be it.

It doesn't. It makes you of your own opinion. I think it now pretty much sucks, but I honestly do need closure/answers. At least some. I hate most of the characters, and always have. I started watching to figure out what was up with the island/mysteries, and I have kept watching for the same reason. I was just saying in the Lost thread that the best run (for me) was the end of season 1 into the beginning of season 2. Otherwise, I've been pretty meh. Sometimes terrible, sometimes great...but usually just there.

I bailed on The Office when Michael drove his car into the Lake. That's just too fucking stupid to be believed,

It doesn't matter what inconceivable thing Michael does, he's going to keep his job.

Yes, to both of these things. I know it's fiction, and it's a comedy, and this is not real life, and suspension of disbelief, etc etc etc, but that jerk should have been fired years ago for all the shit he's pulled. Also, everyone should have punched him in the face at least once.

I don't miss the show one iota.

I want to hold out on Lost until it's all out on DVD, but I get the feeling spoilers are going to be inevitable (think Sopranos )

I'm torn on whether or not I'll ever want to watch Lost. The initial turnoff for me was how twisty and turny and convoluted it seemed to get - in my eyes, just reading discussions about it and whatnot - and it just made me think "Oh, this is going to be another X-Files clusterfuck, isn't it, where it's going to suck me in and then piss me off because they just create more twists and turns rather than just ending the fucking thing."

Also, I have friends who are very "I can't BELIEVE you don't WATCH this!" and that just turns me off.

The Wire, on the other hand, I fully intend to watch one of these days. The hype was a good hype for me, and not the obnoxious kind that ends up backfiring on me.

I still need to add The Wire to my Netflix queue. I am done with all the Dexter seasons and I need a good replacement. Based on what i've heard about that show here, it seems like a logical choice.

I still think that Modern Family is the best comedy on TV.

I'm working my way through Breaking Bad season 2 (then I'll catch up with the new season), Big Love (have the latest season on my computer), and slowly doing It's Always Sunny.

In my Netflix queue, I've got The United States of Tara, Deadwood (I'm going to watch the first few episodes and see if it's something I'll want to watch - I really don't like westerns, but I heard it was so good, so ...)

Probably another series or two languishing further down in my queue.

I hear nothing but great things about Breaking Bad.
I know this is a movie thread so i'll just finish by saying that Southland is great. It reminds me of Hill Street Blues. Probably to old for most here.

It's very good!

I had a fail, though. I had season 2 in my Netflix queue and it took me a whole week to get around to watching the first disc ... and the whole season was on On Demand all that time. I didn't realize it until the last day it was available. D'oh.

I purchased The Wild Bunch on Blu-Ray during lunch.

Hopefully it'll be worth it, I've never even seen it. $12.99 was too difficult to pass on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom