Random Movie Talk XII: A Locker Full of Hurtin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, most people who do adaptations defer to the cultural standing of the source material's writer. In the case of The Shining, Stanley Kubrick is a more important figure in film than King is to literature. So there's really no crime in Kubrick manipulating the source material to suit his own ends. Unless you're a defensive/sensitive King fan (which would be a pretty sad existence), there's nothing to get upset about. A great artist used a mainstream writer's work to make a great film. Who gives a shit how faithful it is? Personally, I think all of the Michael Crichton film adaptations have been pathetic condensations of his interesting ideas and theories (save Robert Wise's Andromeda Strain), but I'm not going to get too riled up about Jurassic Park because it was entertaining as hell, and it's Michael fucking Crichton.

Yeah, I feel you (apart from Crichton, but that's neither here nor there and I'm not exactly dedicated to the issue). I wasn't directing that at you or anything I've ever read from you. It was more of a reaction to jumping down somebody's throat for...well, not getting upset in the way you discuss. "It wasn't faithful to the book, but the movie was still great" isn't worth it and hardly warrants it, you know? But, then, you do know. You weren't doing the jumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom