Random Movie Talk XII: A Locker Full of Hurtin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't stand waiting for the eventual Blu release, so I bit on The Red Shoes finally. Eyes Wide Shut, GoodFellas, The Terminator, Bottle Rocket, The Silence of the Lambs, and The Graduate should all be rolling in from Amazon soon, all in Blu, too.

I couldn't stand waiting for the eventual Blu release, so I bit on The Red Shoes finally. Eyes Wide Shut, GoodFellas, The Terminator, Bottle Rocket, The Silence of the Lambs, and The Graduate should all be rolling in from Amazon soon, all in Blu, too.

Some awesome movies in this list

And he listed Terminator as well.

I think I like it as much as, if not more than, T2 at this point. Still enjoy them both a great deal.

Sure, but it's still better than The Silence of the Lambs.

Whatever, Miggs.

Manhunter can't come out soon enough. You can only get it in a triple pack with Silence and Hannibal, sans any special features.

Cancelled The Red Shoes since there are better deals on eBay. The POW! and PRESS! demand it.

I think I like it as much as, if not more than, T2 at this point. Still enjoy them both a great deal.

The first is probably my favorite too. Despite the obvious weaknesses and missteps, I don't mind Salvation.

I bought Bottle Rocket on DVD about a month before I bought my PS3. Still considering switching it out for the Blu-Ray version, but it's always a bit more expensive than I'm willing to pay for a replacement.

I re-watched the original Clash of the Titans last night. Haven't seen it in...well.... probably decades. Probably only saw it on television as a kid, so I was surprised to see nakid boobiez and bumz.

Best one:

September 11-22: Audience Members Pointing Out Hitchcock Allusions Will Be Shot on Sight: The Brian De Palma Film Festival

The first is probably my favorite too. Despite the obvious weaknesses and missteps, I don't mind Salvation.

I bought Bottle Rocket on DVD about a month before I bought my PS3. Still considering switching it out for the Blu-Ray version, but it's always a bit more expensive than I'm willing to pay for a replacement.

I re-watched the original Clash of the Titans last night. Haven't seen it in...well.... probably decades. Probably only saw it on television as a kid, so I was surprised to see nakid boobiez and bumz.

I was able to sell the Criterion DVD for $20, then buy the Blu for $25, so it was worth it.

hero2_thumb.jpg

The Official Blog of Benjamin J Heckendorn

This cracks me up, the gameplay vids are great too.

Since 2005 I have been working on building my own custom pinball machine and now it is finally finished. It is based off the endlessly quotable films of Bill Paxton and thus is called… get this… Bill Paxton Pinball. (Very creative, I know)

Aside from “stock” items such as flippers and solenoids it has been completely manufactured from scratch. Most of the artwork is from his movies and has been assembled in stylized montage form as is typical for a pinball machine. It is controlled by a single Parallax Propeller CPU which runs PCM audio music & voice clips as well as handling game logic, I/O and driving the custom LED display. I did the mechanical design, layout, construction & programming all myself, except for the sound player libraries that I got off the Parallax Object exchange website.

I’ve prepared all sorts of stuff for people to check out, so please check out the links below. Also, I did consider creating a “Virtual Pinball” version of this machine but ultimately didn’t have the time. If anyone is well versed in that tool and wants to take a crack at it, let me know, I can supply with you specifications.

Hopefully he teaches children the importance of killing people he thinks are demons with an axe in the game.

I think that film looks AWFUL (sub-awful, even), but I will probably be seeing it just because I think it also looks uncommonly beautiful. The dragons alone are marvels of design, and the "main" one is beyond adorable. Painfully cute. This doesn't in any way make the film good or bad, but it definitely sheds light on just how attractive I personally think the picture looks--I am far, far, far more an elitist of film than music (I probably seen 10 or fewer "new" movies, each year [I enjoy even fewer, unfortunately], but dozens and dozens--if not hundreds--of obscure, revolutionary, VHS-booted, psychotic, allegedly "important" shit), and I am actively anticipating this movie. Even though I don't think I'm going to enjoy even five minutes of it. I just want to SEE it.

I am not trying to be or sound like an asshole. I'm just being honest about how enthusiastic I am about the look of this picture.

There's even an episode that addresses the "what if you had the chance to go back in time and stop Hitler" dilemma, but with evil aliens instead of Nazis.

I'd say you could just check out the new era stuff, but I'd hardly call that representative of the show as a whole, and you'd have an even harder time taking the older ones seriously afterwards.

The good thing is that DW isn't really something you need to see in any kind of order, with a few exceptions (the new incarnation has much more of a season-long subplot arc approach). As long as you understand the nature of the title character, you can enjoy any story on its own.

Well, I'd recommend starting with the man who took the show into the stratosphere, and has long been the audience favorite, Tom Baker. He played the role for seven years, and went through several companions, script editors, and show-runners, so there's a decent range of stuff from his era.

As far as what is available on DVD, I'd probably start with these, all of them rated very high by most fans:

1. The Pyramids of Mars
Great script, the best companion (journalist Sarah Jane Smith), some creepy villains, and a decent amount of on-location film to balance the soundstage video stuff.
2. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Victorian-era London period epic and homage to Sherlock Holmes from the man considered the show's best script writer, Robert Holmes. Companion here is the savage warrior Leela.
3. The Robots of Death
A good murder whodunnit in Isaac Asimov territory, with some additional influence from Dune. Again, with Leela.
4. The Ark in Space
One of the highest viewer-ratings in the show's history, kind of an Alien vibe, stuck on a space station with a predator on the loose. Also from Robert Holmes and with companion Sarah Jane Smith.
5. City of Death
Co-written by Douglas Adams (of Hitchhiker's Guide fame), shot on location in Paris, and one of the most flat-out entertaining (and funny) stories ever. John Cleese cameos, as does Leonardo Da Vinci, and the companion this time is fellow Time Lord and genius Romana.
6. The Leisure Hive
This last one isn't actually a big fan favorite but to me it's pretty hard sci-fi and one of the more interesting stories from the late, moodier period of this Doctor. Companion again is Romana.

Anyway, pick one or two that sound the most interesting and see what happens. Key thing to remember is that these are mostly shot on video and look cheap as all hell, with dodgy special effects. Of course this is something Survivors shares (though it has more location work on film) and Blake's 7 looks even cheesier (and was on air around the same time). It's really about Tom Baker and the writing. If for some reason you can't get into Baker, the guy before him (Jon Pertwee) is older and a bit more of a serious action guy, and the one after (Peter Davison) is younger and more sympathetic. Though I'd probably just tell you to skip ahead to the new series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom