Random Movie Talk thirteen (Nikki Reed was pretty hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess they're skipping The Honorable Schoolboy just like the BBC did with the miniseries.

I wonder if they'll use any of the connecting material.

Yeah, interesting how nobody seems concerned that it's the Karla trilogy.

2 questions for you:

1) Did you like the BBC version of Smiley's People? I thought it was inferior to the BBC Tinker, Tailor....

2) Have you ever seen The Russia House? I've only read it, but, have never seen it. I think it's the only film or BBC version of a LeCarre novel that I've never seen.

I never wound up seeing the BBC's Tinker Tailer. I have it on some hard drive but hadn't found the time.

Didn't see The Russia House, either. I did, however, track down The Little Drummer Girl from the early 80's, with Diane Keaton. Not bad.

Reading-wise, I've gone through the Smiley Trilogy, Call For The Dead, A Murder of Quality.

I own The Looking Glass War and A Perfect Spy but haven't got to them yet.

I never wound up seeing the BBC's Tinker Tailer. I have it on some hard drive but hadn't found the time.

Didn't see The Russia House, either. I did, however, track down The Little Drummer Girl from the early 80's, with Diane Keaton. Not bad.

Reading-wise, I've gone through the Smiley Trilogy, Call For The Dead, A Murder of Quality.

I own The Looking Glass War and A Perfect Spy but haven't got to them yet.

If you ever do have time, I think you'll enjoy Tinker Tailor....

And, I somehow had no fucking idea that The Little Drummer Girl existed, so, I need to see that. Thanks.

Reading-wise, I've read every book of his. Been toying with re-reading some of them, as it's been ages since I have read some of his most popular works.

A Perfect Spy is a good book and another solid BBC miniseries.

My shiny new Hitchcock blu-ray collection is magnificent. Only watched Vertigo and Frenzy so far, but I'm thoroughly impressed with both.

I've been toying with ordering it, but was hesitant because I have them all on DVD...are the transfers that good?

I'll answer this when I've looked at more of them, but I would say its worth it. For the record I bought the region-free UK version for half the price.

I've been abstaining from watching Vertigo. It's been a couple years now. I'm waiting for it to be released on blu.

Vertigo surprised me on rewatch. I mean, I've obviously been through countless academic texts on it and more casual discussion it being such a staple of film criticism and film academia now, along with its new position atop S&S, but I think it may be my favorite Hitch now too. Or at least tied with Psycho. It may be unpopular to say the film is a bit sloppier at times in its shot-by-shot construction than some of Hitch's simpler masterworks (I'm thinking Rear Window or Dial M for Murder as examples) but nothing reaches the heights Vertigo does, nor has quite as many different moving parts, thematically. The last scene alone, which may be my favorite, has 4 or 5 different strands operating simultaneously, most of which pertaining purely to Scotty's character. Just mesmerizing.

Oh man.

I watched Tree of Life again on HBO this week. I barely moved, just like when I saw it in the theater.

Vertigo surprised me on rewatch. I mean, I've obviously been through countless academic texts on it and more casual discussion it being such a staple of film criticism and film academia now, along with its new position atop S&S, but I think it may be my favorite Hitch now too. Or at least tied with Psycho. It may be unpopular to say the film is a bit sloppier at times in its shot-by-shot construction than some of Hitch's simpler masterworks (I'm thinking Rear Window or Dial M for Murder as examples) but nothing reaches the heights Vertigo does, nor has quite as many different moving parts, thematically. The last scene alone, which may be my favorite, has 4 or 5 different strands operating simultaneously, most of which pertaining purely to Scotty's character. Just mesmerizing.

It's probably the best movie about how people project love onto others and are often in love with their projections instead of the real person. The ending is great. I'm glad the alternate ending wasn't used.

Flying High!/Airplane! to BB

A_CX9bICEAAvTxI.jpg:large

Spending Christmas With Relatives With "For Your Consideration" DVD Academy Screeners Presents......

The Impossible

There's no sin in focusing on the story of a Western family trying to get back together after the 2004 tsunami, since that's the dramatic hook. And yeah, it's easier to sell a movie with Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts as the leads, so consider that the intersection of art and commerce; I really have no problem there. But film is a powerful medium and you can certainly depict the story of the family while commenting on the privilege the family has by being able to return home to a well-ordered (rich!) life, as compared to the new normal of wreckage, death, and devastation the local Thais had to adapt to. The Impossible....unimpressively did. I would have liked to have seen the director push it more than simply having nameless hordes milling around in the background.

This sounds corny and PC as I type it, but it's still true: a lot of depth would've been accomplished simply by writing in a speaking Thai character with some arc of their own. The groundwork is already there to take advantage of it.

So the direction itself is accomplished, particularly in filming the tsunami, but the script is a bit unimpressive in figuring out how to wring out tension after the tsunami hits, once the family members make contact with more people. If you have to indulge in cruelly whimsical turns of fate to prolong the story, you don't have much of a story. Overall I think it's kind of a missed opportunity.

Also, wrong thread kind of, but

XMjbY.png

Naomi Watts is 44? Damn.....

Arbitrage

By the book, but rewarding. Richard Gere plays a tycoon trying to scheme his way out of a financial fraud and a dead mistress, and it hits the kind of brain-circuits that cable anti-hero dramas are aimed at- you definitely are culpable, rooting to see a smart man try and figure his way out of this dilemma. The word I keep coming back to is "solid", particularly with a cast anchored by Gere and Susan Sarandon (and, uh, Graydon Carter). Pretty much the definition of a solid B/B+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom