Random Movie Talk thirteen (Nikki Reed was pretty hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I loved the acting, directing, musical score + how there were engaging scenes in the film.

I absolutely hated Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master'

The problem with this film was, the good bits were really good, but the rest was not so good, there was no middle ground for this movie.

and I love PTA's work, 'There will be Blood' and 'Punchdrunk Love'. But The Master was disengaging, much like the religion of scientology (the allusion of the subject matter of this film)

Having never seen Blade Runner (I know, I know), I borrowed a friend's copy of the blu. Problem is it has five different cuts of the film.

So I ask you, Interference, which is the essential cut?

I'd probably do the "Final Cut" version, but it's been a while since I watched to remember the differences. It was the version they were hyping as Scott's supposed "preferred version" when the Blu-Ray came out though.

EDIT: I was remembering that a lot of the early copies of the Blu-Ray shipped with disc 1 (The Final Cut) actually being the Work Print version of the movie (the early version with place holder effects and such). Phanan and I both received copies like that. Hit the menu button if it automatically starts playing, and if it has an intro for the work print on the Final Cut disc, it's the screwed up version.

The theatrical cut has really lame narration from Ford, and also doesn't include the hints that Deckard may also be a replicant. And I think it has some cheesy ending too.

For starters.

Ohhh that's right, I remember now. We watched that version once, or we at least started it and switched.

I don't know that I'm a huge fan of the Deckard is a replicant theory, since, well, he wasn't in the book, but it's not a huge deal to me, so that factor doesn't make or break the movie for me.

But that narration sucked.

The theatrical cut has really lame narration from Ford, and also doesn't include the hints that Deckard may also be a replicant. And I think it has some cheesy ending too.

For starters.

I think that might be the one I saw. I'm not sure, it was quite some time ago, long enough that I rented it on VHS. I don't remember anything other than being tremendously bored and disappointed. I've been meaning to watch it again, since I'm not sure I can trust the opinion my 13 or 14 year old self had for a number of reasons, but haven't gotten around to it.

Didn't like the book, either, but at least I remember that.

I'm sure he can, but this is a big departure from what he usually does, so he's kind of type casted to me.

don't you mean against type casting

having just watched the clip, I say Damon pulls it off better than Douglas, but most would say he is the better actor.

I'll be interested to see how this is done. I much prefer R&J be done in the Renaissance period than our time.

You know, at this point, I'm willing to sacrifice the sanctity of the dialogue, just breathe something new into it as a film. It's just nearly impossible for me to enjoy a Shakespeare adaptation anymore, because they can't escape what they are, due to the familiarity of the dialogue.

Say what you will about the Luhrmann version, at least he tried something different.

Say what you will about the Luhrmann version, at least he tried something different.

He did, I give him that. But it wasn't plausible to have Renaissance life in modern times. I mean, Juliet is being married off to a family friend and she's a young girl who isn't allowed to leave the house except for church. To put that situation in our times doesn't really work. I know I'm reading too much into the movie, but I couldn't help it.

But hey, DiCaprio was good eye candy back in my high school days!

(He still is, but he's changed so much since then)

ETA: Perhaps a good Shakespeare adaption would be a modern English version of the plays? Instead of "O Romeo Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?" have Juliet say, "O Romeo, why are you a Montague?" I know it wouldn't be pure Shakespeare but it would be an interesting idea.

Adapting from stage to screen is always a challenge, even if it's being adapted from the greatest playwright of all time. The tendency in theatre is to put emphasis on the actors, and many adapted screenplays carry that over, resulting in unimaginative visual work and unnatural weight given to the dialogue.

My favorite adaptation of a play is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf because not only is the atmosphere of the old house palpable and terrifying, but the acting is out of this world. Sadly, there are many examples of adaptations that are so dull to watch in terms of cinematography and so heavy handed in both the quantity of and quality (delivery, cadence) of the dialogue that the scripts are largely wasted. For this reason, I doubt there will ever be a truly classic Shakespeare adaptation, which is a shame because the screenplays are undeniable. A definitive, canon-worthy adaptation of The Tempest would make me a happy man.

Kenneth Branagh's unabridged Hamlet adaptation is fantastic; it's four hours long but never boring, has a great cast and visuals.

The Joseph Manckeiwicz adaptation of Julius Caesar is definitely a "classic", and blends old school stage vets like John Gielgud with fresh talent like Marlon Brando (who really is great at Marc Antony). Kurossawa's Ran (based in King Lear) is another revered title.

But I agree with Ashley's sentiment--I'd rather see fresh interpretations at this point. Joss Whedon has a modern day (or 20th century at least) version of Much Ado About Nothing coming out featuring alumni from his various shows: Firefly, Buffy, Dollhouse.

much_ado_about_nothing_ver2.jpg

With only Lost Highway and Wild at Heart left to see, my Lynch rankings:

1. The Elephant Man (A)
2. Eraserhead (A-)
3. Blue Velvet (A-)
4. Mulholland Dr. (B+) need to see it a second time before I can properly rank it
4. The Straight Story (B+) just saw it today; heartbreaking and subtle, drawing successfully on Lynch's love of small towns and quirky characters
6. Inland Empire (B)
7. Fire Walk With Me (C-)
8. Dune (D)

Arguably my favorite director, he's just slipped up a couple of times along the way. The world is a lesser place without a new Lynch film to obsess over, and I'm glad I still have a couple left to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom