Random Movie Talk Part X: The Spy Who Loved Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as films, Late Ozu Eclipse set and the Twin Peaks gold box. Ladyfriend got me Planet Earth on blu, and a couple other things I'm not aware of yet.

What'd you guys get for Christmas? I'm happy with my haul this year:

Apocalypse Now (w/ Hearts of Darkness) Blu
Back to the Future Trilogy Blu
The Exorcist Blu
Gangs of New York Blu
Psycho Blu
The Seventh Seal Blu
The Thin Red Line Blu
Mishima DVD
Andrew Sarris' Directors and Directions
Bogdanovich's This Is Orson Welles
The Scorsese band tee from Mondotees

And on top of that, I found Ugetsu used for about 6 bucks and the LOTR trilogy (Extended and OOP) for my lady friend for about 20 bucks.

Jeeee-sus. You son of a bitch.

Enjoy Ugetsu. I don't think any kind of film school education can fully prepare you for the magic of Mizoguchi, and that film in particular. It really blew me away when I saw it last year,

As far as films, Late Ozu Eclipse set and the Twin Peaks gold box.

That Late Ozu set is great.

Thanks, gang. The Late Ozu and Early Sam Fuller set are the two Eclipse sets I'd gravitate toward first.

Every time I watch my Psycho Blu, Jeff Wells cries.

The Akerman Eclipse is something of a revelation, plus it's one of the cheaper offerings. Really want the Oshima set too.

My Eclipse sets:

Late Ozu
Raymond Bernard
The Delirious Fictions of William Klein
Presenting Sacha Guitry
Oshima's Outlaw Sixties

I'm looking forward to the upcoming set Basil Dearden's London Underground; not familiar with the filmmaker but I looked up all the titles and they seemed very interesting. Next on my list would probably be the Mizoguchi set or Nikkatsu Noir. The Fuller set would be cool if found cheap, but I'd say The Steel Helmet is the only great film there; not what I'd call an essential set.

What about the von Sternberg set?

EDIT: My mistake, that's a regular Criterion set.

Gotta love when Criterion bundles shit together. My Varda dvds and Brakhage blu collection are among my most treasured home video items.

Lance, perhaps this is a dumb question, but have you ever seen the Japanese film Linda Linda Linda? Seems like it would be up your alley but I don't remember hearing you (or anyone else) mention it.

If not, it's basically about four girls in a band who are preparing to play a festival at their school and it's one of the best films about young people I've seen in a while.

And I think you will love it.

I found a healthy torrent just a couple days ago, so you should be in business pretty easily.

For future reference, the actress who plays Kei: :drool:

Speaking of the BBS set, it's half-off on Barnes & Noble right now. With the 15% coupon code (C3N8F7W) it comes to $57 with tax and free shipping.

WHAAAATT?

Please tell me that code just ain't for members, and that you're also talkin' Blu-Ray.

EDIT: Apparently, it is NOT too good to be true.

What a find.

Although for some reason I'm having second thoughts before completing my transaction. I already own Easy Rider and Last Picture Show, and I'm not sure how much rewatch value I'm going to get out of the other films.

Luckily, that Apocalypse Now set is also on sale...

I shouldn't even be hesitating on that one, seeing as how it's still my favorite film, but it seems like a lot for one feature from a label that isn't Criterion. Of course, it does have Hearts of Darkness, but I'll probably only watch that one more time (haven't seen it since it came out).

Thanks for the heads up, LMP. I regretted not getting it in the Criterion sale in November, so this is now corrected. I heard nothing but good things about this set.

I shouldn't even be hesitating on that one, seeing as how it's still my favorite film, but it seems like a lot for one feature from a label that isn't Criterion. Of course, it does have Hearts of Darkness, but I'll probably only watch that one more time (haven't seen it since it came out).

It's a comprehensive set. Even the packaging is reminiscent of Criterion.

Thanks for the heads up, LMP. I regretted not getting it in the Criterion sale in November, so this is now corrected. I heard nothing but good things about this set.

No problem. I wish that I had the cash to get it, but I splurged on the Cassavetes set and upgrading to a smartphone. I'll get it at the next sale.

Yeah in the end a super deluxe version of one's favorite film for under $30 shouldn't be something to have second thoughts about. It's not like it will be dropping down to $20 anytime soon.

The BBS thing looks really cool, but it seems more like something I should buy vs something I actually want--it feels like homework.

I also just found a used Blu-ray of A Serious Man for $11 incl. shipping. Don't mind if I do.

Yes, in the theatre. Minor Rivette. It's not a bad film by any means, and is rather charming, but it's slight.

I wouldn't make it a priority.

Well, in making my remaining '10 films a priority, it's probably one of the next ones I'll watch.

I should be picking back up with Rivette tomorrow though with Nor'west.

I had an unproductive nostalgia night watching the features based on Batman: The Animated Series, and The New Animated Series: Batman Mask of the Phantasm, and Batman & Mr. Freeze - Subzero. Reminded me how much I loved that series, I need to get those DVDs, or at least power through them from Netflix soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom