Random Movie Talk Part Eleventy-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird how reliant on reviews the internet has made people. As if nothing that received under some arbitrary number is worthy of being experienced. It's weird how people seem to forget it's all just some random schmo they maybe have never even heard of's opinion.

I have little interested in reading negative criticism of anything these days. I don't see obvious studio garbage anymore, and I'm going to see films of directors I like regardless of word-of-mouth. I don't need someone to tell me why something isn't good, but if someone likes the film I'm interested in their interpretations and what they're getting out of it.

I have little interested in reading negative criticism of anything these days. I don't see obvious studio garbage anymore, and I'm going to see films of directors I like regardless of word-of-mouth. I don't need someone to tell me why something isn't good, but if someone likes the film I'm interested in their interpretations and what they're getting out of it.

True, but I still find value is the occasional strongly critical piece from a good writer if it's willing to investigate with a certain depth and curiosity.

Oh shit, I didn't even see the Vigo set. I've seen nothing from him, so I'll definitely get on that.

I can't even remember the plot of that film, let alone recognize quotes from it.

GOW 3 Beta really jacked up my movie viewing the last few weeks.

Army of Shadows or Shock Corridor tomorrow, for sure.

I haven't been in the mood for much challenging the past week or so. Just watching some shitty tv and the like, though I've squeezed in the occasional Ozu or Ophuls.

I tried to explain to a friend the other day that when work is really busy, and I get home at like 8pm and I'm tired....I want to watch stuff for a bit, but, nothing I need to pay super close attention to.....I more lean towards "comfort" films, or the few TV shows I DVR. Not sure if this made sense to my friend, or even now, but I know what I mean.

I can't even remember the plot of that film, let alone recognize quotes from it.

GOW 3 Beta really jacked up my movie viewing the last few weeks.

Army of Shadows or Shock Corridor tomorrow, for sure.

Shock Corridor is an absolute blast. I'd definitely qualify it as an easier viewing than most; the pulpy approach enhances but doesn't overshadow the social messages that Fuller sends out. The Naked Kiss is the same case, watched that tonight.

The opening is as close to pure pulp as I've seen on-screen. It's interesting how Fuller combines Kelly's romanticism of suburbia and "normal" life with the ideas of good vs. evil. He deals best in that sort of juxtaposition, the most obvious being Kelly's desire for motherhood vs. Grant's other type of fascination, to put it lightly. It all hits at this awesome, raw emotional core that I've come to expect from his films. I wish that I had a more well-stated opinion, but there you have it.

Demme's Something Wild is making for an odd double feature. I'm about 45 minutes in.

Has anyone (Lance?) seen the Blu-Ray version of Nausicaa? If so, thoughts? I don't think I've seen it since the VHS days, so it tempts me every time it's on sale.

Meanwhile in four-year-old sci-fi director news...

The goofy-looking Wachowski brother had a sex-change operation? Why am I only learning of this now? How does this affect the interpretation of the Matrix mythos?

Meanwhile in four-year-old sci-fi director news...

The goofy-looking Wachowski brother had a sex-change operation? Why am I only learning of this now? ?

I thought it was common knowledge that after bestowing the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies upon the unsuspecting masses he was forced to remove his penis as penance.

Has anyone (Lance?) seen the Blu-Ray version of Nausicaa? If so, thoughts? I don't think I've seen it since the VHS days, so it tempts me every time it's on sale.

I've only seen screenshots and clips, but yeah, it's pretty fantastic looking.

Upcoming theatrical experiences: This weekend Meek's Cutoff, the next Midnight in Paris, a week or howeverthefucklong after that The Tree of Life. Finally, some good stuff ahead.

I saw Meek's a couple of weeks ago

it gets a thumbs up from me, I expected to like it more.
the 4:3 aspect ratio on the big screen was a distraction for a lot of the film.

interesting ending, I think it leaves audiences divided, I was fine with it.

the black bars were wavering on the sides of the screen

at least the theater owners bring down a black screen down when the aspect goes wide these days. ( for proper screen dimensions )

I'm still waiting for that to come to a theater I don't despise. The one it's been at in Boston doesn't fit the bill.

you've mentioned that before

I had an art house theater, about 2 miles from my house, the roof leaked, it smelled bad, many of the seats were broken, I didn't mind that much, it was always about 85% empty so I could find a decent place to sit, my then girlfriend, called it the 'urine' theater. It has closed down and the gf moved on.

Yeah, it isn't a disgusting place, quite the opposite actually, but a combination of factors makes me hate the place. I think the tickets are too expensive, the auditoriums too small, and the crowds there are the kind that converse quite loudly throughout films and are probably there so they can tell people at their local organic coffee shop they saw x film, I can get over those things if I need to as you run into that in many an art house, but it is in such a difficult place to get to that usually I don't make the hassle. It's in Cambridge, which is overly difficult to get around and overly hipsterish to begin with and it's in the middle of what's known as Technology Square, a district made up of biotech companies, so it was cramped before they ever built the place. It's a Landmark, my favorite two art houses in this area are in the suburbs of Newton (an old art deco joint) and Brookline (a renovated movie palace that's run as a nonprofit org).

the things you mentioned would put me off too.

I try and stay away on Friday and Saturday evenings (especially on openings) to avoid the talkers and texters.

Yeah I've been trying to wean myself off opening weekends, particularly now that my local theater has $6 tickets all day Tuesday.

I've been a weekday afternoon attender ever since my really nice theater lowered ticket prices to $4.50 at those times. Ohhh yeah.

Yeah, it isn't a disgusting place, quite the opposite actually, but a combination of factors makes me hate the place. I think the tickets are too expensive, the auditoriums too small, and the crowds there are the kind that converse quite loudly throughout films and are probably there so they can tell people at their local organic coffee shop they saw x film, I can get over those things if I need to as you run into that in many an art house, but it is in such a difficult place to get to that usually I don't make the hassle. It's in Cambridge, which is overly difficult to get around and overly hipsterish to begin with and it's in the middle of what's known as Technology Square, a district made up of biotech companies, so it was cramped before they ever built the place. It's a Landmark, my favorite two art houses in this area are in the suburbs of Newton (an old art deco joint) and Brookline (a renovated movie palace that's run as a nonprofit org).

Is the one in Cambridge you're talking about Kendall Square?

I saw Branagh's Hamlet in 70mm at that place.

And the one in Brookline would be Coolidge Corner, no? Saw a LOT of shit there.

Nice deduction, most indeededly.

I :heart: Coolidge Corner, especially since they've recently done a huge renovation on the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom