Random Movie Talk Part Eleventy-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen most of his commercial films by this point I think.

The CASS! factor was a big part of The Fury's appeal personally. Along with all the gratuitous slo-mo of course.

Oh, alright. Wasn't sure.

The CASS! The slow-mo, THE DOUG! swinging around telephone lines dodging the feds... I fucking love it.

It's such a bizarre melange of conflicting tones, styles and ideas. It all manages to work really well, somehow.

The Cassavetes stuff is a coda, the same type of melodramatic psych-out trash that's in most of his films.

Also, I need to rewatch and re-assess Dressed to Kill.

So guys, who do you think will direct the Hunt For Bin Laden feature film? Michael Bay? Peter Berg? Tony Scott? Oliver Stone?

#topical

Due to the wedding, moving and a general feeling of just not being in a movie watching kind of place, I've fallen far behind on my "cinematic journey". I'm really not sure where to dive back in. I've got a daunting Netflix queue 407 movies strong, which isn't helping matters. I figure, since I've currently been enjoying the hell out of Twin Peaks, Lynch might be the way to go. Any opinions on what I should watch next? I've seen Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Dune, The Elephant Man and Eraserhead, so I guess I'm wondering of the remaining few films, which is most essential?

I should probably also finish watching Malick's work, given the upcoming and all.

I'm saying this partially because I'm screening it for friends this week, but if you haven't seen The Holy Mountain, get ahold of it. It's probably the most fucked-up film you will ever see (its imagery makes David Lynch look like CSPAN), but it's also very funny and you may also find it inspirational, even transcendent.

And FWIW, it's in English, not that you wouldn't see it otherwise. But it will feel less like homework.

It's available on DVD but here's a review of the recent Blu-Ray release with some screencaps and comments:

The Holy Mountain Blu-ray - Alejandro Jodorowsky

So guys, who do you think will direct the Hunt For Bin Laden feature film? Michael Bay? Peter Berg? Tony Scott? Oliver Stone?

#topical

I hope Stone does it.

He can have OBL killed at Tora Bora in 2002. And then have Cheney cover it up so Halliburton can keep their multi-billion dollar contracts and go into Iraq.

Due to the wedding, moving and a general feeling of just not being in a movie watching kind of place, I've fallen far behind on my "cinematic journey". I'm really not sure where to dive back in. I've got a daunting Netflix queue 407 movies strong, which isn't helping matters. I figure, since I've currently been enjoying the hell out of Twin Peaks, Lynch might be the way to go. Any opinions on what I should watch next? I've seen Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Dune, The Elephant Man and Eraserhead, so I guess I'm wondering of the remaining few films, which is most essential?

I should probably also finish watching Malick's work, given the upcoming and all.

Wild at Heart.

#topical

You didn't know? Kathryn Bigelow & Mark Boal were already working on a feature about the search for Osama, there was actually a headline on ComingSoon today saying that the script was being rewritten to obviously change the ending.

Though I thought she was making Triple Frontier this year, :shrug:.

:)

I don't know how I'm able to pull shit like this off, but....

I enjoy Minority Report. And The Departed. And AI. And Gangs of New York. And Munich. And The Aviator.

And I'm able to do it without giving any thought to the other films I'm not watching at the time.

Crazy.

:hi5:

Also re: Fast Five, I was bored out of my mind yesterday after plans fell through so I caught a matinee because it randomly got positive reviews where all the others didn't so I was curious what could have been different. I haven't watched an installment of this series since 2 Fast 2 Furious, but this felt exactly the same as the first two (with the exception of the heist vs. racing focus), fun action but brain-melting flaws, the Rock is a fun action star but his character here is just terrible, though I'm sure he'll make a fun addition to the criminal group in 2Fast*3Furious, and it was kind of fun to see the Ocean's 11 coming together of past characters (were all of those from past movies? I know Tyrese & Ludacris were), again though, passable popcorn but I don't know why this has been better received than any of the others, unless Tokyo Drift & #4 were so bad that the same quality of the first 2 comes off so much better so it gets better reviews by comparison?

I'm saying this partially because I'm screening it for friends this week, but if you haven't seen The Holy Mountain, get ahold of it. It's probably the most fucked-up film you will ever see (its imagery makes David Lynch look like CSPAN), but it's also very funny and you may also find it inspirational, even transcendent.

And FWIW, it's in English, not that you wouldn't see it otherwise. But it will feel less like homework.

It's available on DVD but here's a review of the recent Blu-Ray release with some screencaps and comments:

The Holy Mountain Blu-ray - Alejandro Jodorowsky

I...will possibly attempt this one? I don't know, reading about it, it doesn't feel like something that might sit comfortably with myself and my religious background, unless you're telling me it wouldn't be offensive on such a level? I'm usually pretty OK with watching most anything, but the run-down just screams something I'm probably going to be uncomfortable with.

Wild at Heart.

Noted, thank you.

I...will possibly attempt this one? I don't know, reading about it, it doesn't feel like something that might sit comfortably with myself and my religious background, unless you're telling me it wouldn't be offensive on such a level? I'm usually pretty OK with watching most anything, but the run-down just screams something I'm probably going to be uncomfortable with.

There's certainly a mixture of the sacred and profane, but there's not any kind of anti-church sentiment like you'd find in Buñuel's films. It's mostly a lot of psychedelic imagery with some amusing cultural satire. The religious material comes from many different texts; it's a very interesting synthesis of beliefs combined with some early 70's new age elements.

Ugh, Jodorowsky.

Care to elaborate on that?

I'm just being a jackass. I've only seen Fando y Lis which I really didn't care for.

This is immediately who I thought of when The Holy Mountain was described. I haven't watched L'Age d'Or because I assumed I would feel uncomfortable watching it, but Holy Mountain just sounds incredibly amusing. I'll probably try it on my own time, even if Ashley doesn't.

I'm just being a jackass. I've only seen Fando y Lis which I really didn't care for.

I can't imagine judging the man's work without seeing El Topo and The Holy Mountain. They're both phenomenal, and leagues above Fando y Lis.

You really should check them out.

Yeah, FWIW I had a pretty transformative experience with The Holy Mountain when I first saw it a couple years ago, and got sucked in even further with Jodorowski's commentary.

I'm pretty sure it's in my personal Top 10 at this point.

Also guys, John & Yoko helped fund the film, and George Harrison was almost in it before balking at some nudity. How cool is that?

Yeah, FWIW I had a pretty transformative experience with The Holy Mountain when I first saw it a couple years ago, and got sucked in even further with Jodorowski's commentary.

I'm pretty sure it's in my personal Top 10 at this point.

Well, I can't avoid it with that kind of endorsement. KG is having a free-leech week in a few days, where I can download as much as my bandwidth allows me. They have a pretty stunning blu-ray rip of it I just bookmarked.

Oh yeah, I need to upgrade mine at some point. I have the Jodorowksi boxed set, which includes everything we've mentioned plus a short film and the CD soundtracks of Holy Mountain and El Topo, which are pretty awesome.

I'll probably try it on my own time, even if Ashley doesn't.

Based on what Laz said, I'm definitely going to check it out, so, now I just need to decide how to handle my Netflix situation....Do you think Netflix would believe that I never received City Lights in the mail, even though I've had it since December?

vlcsnap00027j.jpg

vlcsnap00029u.jpg

vlcsnap00033.jpg

vlcsnap00036a.jpg

It's out there. Blu-ray rip should be mine in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom