Random Movie Talk IX: Insurrection? More Like Insur-SUCK-tion, Amirite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to make of that film yet. Could really go either way, but I'm kind of expecting a stinker.

Well, it'll look great either way. If they can add some depth to the source material it has the potential to be great. But, I'm hoping the studio believes this will have a long burning run at the box offic, because otherwise a Labor Day week release doesn't show a lot of confidence.

There is a full retrospective of Rohmer starting today here. Any recommendations on what I should see (I'm already planning on going to The Aviator's Wife and My Night At Maud's).

Dalton, NSW is correct in saying that none of the old Mad Men seasons are available on Instant. Still, that really shouldn't stop you. Buy or queue that shit.

I've only seen Claire's Knee, but I highly recommend it.

Thanks - this one is screening on 27 August, so it should be doable. This is a really cool retrospective, I hope I can go see a bunch of them.

How often do you see Charlie's thumbs? Fucking clown.

Of all the things to criticize or chuckle at about Chuck...his thumbs??? Regardless, I laughed. Nolte was surprisingly sober and loquacious, though, and Rose didn't really participate in the interview that much. Comparatively, I mean.

0.jpg
340x_Charlie_Rose.jpg

'Mesrine'

"I grew up watching 'Raging Bull,'" says the 43-year-old actor, referring to the 1980 film for which De Niro won the Oscar for packing on the pounds to play boxer Jake La Motta. "It was kind of a fantasy [to put on weight for a role]. I thought maybe once in my life I would have to do that kind of transformation. And now it's done."

The tall, wiry Cassel gained 40 pounds for the second part of the movie about infamous French gangster Jacques Mesrine, who was gunned down in his car on the streets of Paris by the police in 1979. Because Cassel knew it would be impossible for him to shoot the first part as the younger Mesrine and then put on the 40 pounds as the older bandit, the film was shot in reverse order. So he took four months to gain the weight before the nine-month production began.

This is at the top of my list for most anticipated movies for this year.

Two articles in the L A Times today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2009/aug/04/mesrine-vincent-cassel

It's a weightier Vincent Cassel in 'Mesrine' - latimes.com

The Barry Blu is going to be mindblowing. Good lord. Deadwood coming in November too. Can't wait.

I'm on the fence between Deadwood or The Wire being my next project after I finish catching up on Breaking Bad.

I'm only two seasons into The Wire, and finished Deadwood, but for my money right now, the former hasn't even come close to the latter... for me... yet. It could easily get there though.

I think if I had never seen both of those and had them on dvd.
Deadwood would be more fun to watch. I imagine watching on dvd, one could go through them pretty fast 2 -3 hours a day. The season in a few days.
That would work better with Deadwood.

I watched both of these on cable TV when they first aired. So I'd have a week to digest each episode. I found The Wire immensely satisfying. It may be my favorite T V series. I don't think I would have got as much out of it if I watched 4-5 hours in one sitting. That is how I watched the first two seasons of BSG. I watched them from 10 pm to about 3 am, over a couple of weeks.

Deadwood I watched from its debut to its finale on HBO as they ran.

The Wire, Seasons 1-3 were via DVD, then I had caught up and watched 4 and 5 on HBO as they ran.

I think that I enjoyed the Wire more when it was spaced out, so I agree with Deep there. Actually, the show that, for me, most benefitted from DVD gorging was LOST. Watched Seasons 1 and 2 that way and it was like fucking crack.

Well I've still got 13 Breaking Bad eps before I make my decision. Thank you for the input, everyone. Gonna be a tough choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom