Radiohead Survivor - Kid A - Semifinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Everything In Its Right Place

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • The National Anthem

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • How To Disappear Completely

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Optimistic

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Idioteque

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:

Kid A is the kind of album you respect greatly. In Rainbows is something you love.

Those who feel differently are immediately suspect, either they're too cool for school or just are devoid of taste.

Bottom line: Kid A=concept, Rainbows=songs.

I disagree. I LOVE Kid A and we all know I am no where near 'too cool'. Even in a leapers colony.

COBL_04 said:
Cheers mate, I've got a bunch of JB vouchers from Chrissy, so provided The Bends is at $10 bucks I'll pick it up. :up:

Usually in the US, it is easier to find OK Computer on sale than The Bends. That is my experience anyway. If that is the case out there for you, it's perfectly fine to pick up OK first. The Bends may be a bit easier to get into than OK but it doesn't matter, they're both the closest Radiohead got to mainstream and they're both brilliant!

lazarus said:

Kid A is the kind of album you respect greatly. In Rainbows is something you love.

Those who feel differently are immediately suspect, either they're too cool for school or just are devoid of taste.

I think what you meant is that Kid A is the kind of album that YOU PERSONALLY respect greatly while In Rainbows is something YOU PERSONALLY love. Because if you meant that I don't love Kid A, well, you can just get over yourself. :rolleyes:

lazarus said:

Agreed. If I have to order their 7 albuns by preference, In Rainbows will tie with The Bends in the 5th place. Amnesiac and even HTTT are more efusive for me. In Rainbows was not a surprising album for me and some moments sound like of "more of the same" and songs are not so dramatic as in the past 4 albums.

Perhaps I should have phrased that differently. I'm not saying that there aren't songs on Kid A, it's just that the emphasis seems to be on the concept and the novelty of the instrumentation on the songs, whereas on In Rainbows the emphasis seems to be more on the melodies.

Kid A is a very powerful record and certainly something that you can love as a fan. But it's a mindfuck that eventually leaks into your emotions--In Rainbows goes right to the heart and that's why I said it's an album you love--in the more immediate sense.

I recognize my bias, and that I'm one of the few people on here who ranks Kid A second-to-last just above Pablo Honey. I do like it a lot, though.

I voted National Anthem.

I'm quite interested in the Kid A discussion. I still don't get why it's such a popular album. I think it's middle of the pack or even lower-end as far as Radiohead albums go. But I want to be respectful of other fans' opinions so I thought I might learn something about why people love it so much through the process of this Survivor competition.

In Rainbows came so easily to me -- I loved every song on that album by the second time I heard it. Kid A doesn't have any songs that stand out for me as being among Radiohead's best. I find it to be a pretty inaccessible album in the sense that I listen to it a lot and I still feel like I don't know the songs too well.

Oh well. I guess that's part of what makes it fun to be a fan of music -- to see how different songs, different albums, affect people differently.

Everyone responds to music differently. There are no right or wrong opinions, except the ones that assert that other opinions are wrong.

All I can say is that I resonated with Kid A immediately, on the first listen. It didn't have to grow on me. I didn't have to figure out what they were doing, there was an immediate kinship with the music. My heart rate increased, I felt excited, I felt like we were from the same tribe. I have listened to Kid A regularly, and during prolonged periods somewhat obsessively, since October 2000 and I have never gotten tired of it or bored with it. I agree with Zoomerang that the production made some songs less great (Idioteque, for example, totally rocks out live) but rather than diminishing the album for me that just makes me appreciate even more how great the actual songs are when I hear different versions of them. I love the flow, I love the mood, I love where the record transports me to. I love wandering through airports with headphones on viewing the world through Kid A eyes. It's an experience for me.

But honestly...I have had a similar experience with all of their records in varying degrees. That's why they're my favorite band, because I seem to genuinely love every direction they go. I am currently having an experience with In Rainbows.

I hated everything about Kid A when I first heard it, to be honest. :wink: Took about 30 listens for me to really get into it.

In Rainbows took about one.

LemonMelon said:
I hated everything about Kid A when I first heard it, to be honest. :wink: Took about 30 listens for me to really get into it.

And that's a completely acceptable experience as well. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:

And that's a completely acceptable experience as well. :wink:

The moment I started to get it was really incredible. I can never give up on albums anymore because of that.

lazarus said:
Perhaps I should have phrased that differently. I'm not saying that there aren't songs on Kid A, it's just that the emphasis seems to be on the concept and the novelty of the instrumentation on the songs, whereas on In Rainbows the emphasis seems to be more on the melodies.

Kid A is a very powerful record and certainly something that you can love as a fan. But it's a mindfuck that eventually leaks into your emotions--In Rainbows goes right to the heart and that's why I said it's an album you love--in the more immediate sense.

I agree with this :up:

Voted for National Anthem... was a tough choice however

Zootlesque said:

Usually in the US, it is easier to find OK Computer on sale than The Bends. That is my experience anyway. If that is the case out there for you, it's perfectly fine to pick up OK first. The Bends may be a bit easier to get into than OK but it doesn't matter, they're both the closest Radiohead got to mainstream and they're both brilliant!

I already have OkC but I didn't make it all the way through and haven't tried again since

I will be really disappointed when the Anthem is eliminated. It's probably my favorite track on the record right now (it's usually Idioteque), which is saying a whole hell of a lot.

In Rainbows is much more 'love-able.' I just find it delightfully accessible and real ear candy, especially thru track 2 to 9.

Kid A is hard to disresepect. Idioteque is possibly R-Hed's greatest moment.

COBL_04 said:

I already have OkC but I didn't make it all the way through and haven't tried again since

Why bother with The Bends then, if OKC failed it impress?

I had the utmost admiration for R-Hed after I finally learnt to appreciate and discovered the appeal of OkC, and Kid A and especially HTTT heightened that level of praise, while The Bends has significantly undermined that somewhat.

If Radiohead aren't doin' it for ya....Travis' The Man Who is an immensely sweet album to own.

intedomine said:
Why bother with The Bends then, if OKC failed it impress?

I had the utmost admiration for R-Hed after I finally learnt to appreciate and discovered the appeal of OkC, and Kid A and especially HTTT heightened that level of praise, while The Bends has significantly undermined that somewhat.

You're one of the few people (or even one and only person) I know that doesn't like the Bends. Doesn't mean he won't like it either! :angry: :wink:

COBL_04, I think OK was a bad place to start. Yes, I know I said get it if it's on sale. But... The Bends is a LOT easier to get into! I don't see the Bends steering you away from radiohead any more than you already seem to be after listening to OK.

Zootlesque said:

You're one of the few people (or even one and only person) I know that doesn't like the Bends. Doesn't mean he won't like it either! :angry: :wink:

COBL_04, I think OK was a bad place to start. Yes, I know I said get it if it's on sale. But... The Bends is a LOT easier to get into! I don't see the Bends steering you away from radiohead any more than you already seem to be after listening to OK.

Yes, thank you. I still don't see how you can dislike OK Computer either, but that's your opinion I guess. No matter how wrong it is. :wink:

Check out the Gin Blossoms, too. Their 2 songs kick too much ass!

And don't forget to check out The 4400 and Battlestar Galactica, but only watch the latter if you're going to appreciate the dense political subtext.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Yes, thank you. I still don't see how you can dislike OK Computer either, but that's your opinion I guess. No matter how wrong it is. :wink:

Gin Blossoms have about 50-odd songs, to say that they only have one song is to say that Radiohead only has 1 song.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Has this entered Interference culture?? I think it has. At least in B&C anyway.

And Zootles I checked out the Radiohead section, unfortuantely all the albums were $27, which was too much I'm afraid. I did like Fake Plastic Trees though. And I will revisit OKC one day. One day. And I trust me, I do NOT fail, my ipod kicks ass, men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom