Radiohead discussion continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, The Eraser proves to me that Yorke needs the input from other band members (especially Greenwood) to create something truly special. It's a good album, but way too flat and dry-sounding for my taste. It truly came to life live - something like the chorus and the breakdown of the title track soared with melody and had a punch to it in its full-band live incarnation with Atoms for Peace. The studio version only makes me shrug.

Last edited:
Yorke's solo stuff generally leaves me pretty cold. I agree with LM that the less their next album sounds like that, the better. I quite like KOL, but I would still rank it below all their albums except for Pablo Honey.

Masterpieces
1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. In Rainbows

Excellent
4. Amnesiac
5. The Bends
6. HTTT

Very good
7. KOL

8. Pablo Honey

I never really know how to rank 4-6.

The proliferation of side projects speaks to a general boredom with the idea of Radiohead, it seems to me. Waste of time, really, and one common to an awful lot of bands (one album under their belt and the drummer is doing a solo record, these days).

It truly came to life live - something like the chorus and the breakdown of the title track soared with melody and had a punch to it in its full-band live incarnation with Atoms for Peace.

This I agree with. Atoms for Peace live was an especially great show. The piano-led version of Ingenue is one of the most moving things Thom has ever done in or outside of Radiohead IMO.

I'm pretty neutral about The Eraser, and I haven't heard Thom's newer solo record, but I really love AMOK - Ingenue, Reverse Running, and Default in particular. I feel that Flea's presence gives the record a subtle warmth that eluded The Eraser, and a certain grooviness and desire to bob your head a little that isn't that common in Thom's solo work or even much of Radiohead's work,

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

That article is very exciting news, from it I can gather that they've been in the studio and they'd love to tour again at some stage.

See his comments on Twitter. It's exciting that something's happening but in these scenarios it should just all always be "we're working on it". Everything else is too frustrating.

Radiohead Have Recorded "Shitloads" Of Material, Plan To Tour in 2016

Radiohead spent the month of September holed up in the studio working on their ninth studio album. It appears the sessions were a success, as guitarist Jonny Greenwood has told a Russian radio station that the band has all but finished the record.

“We have finished recording of the new album but we keep reevaluating the work we’ve done,” the You And Whose Army hitmaker, 43, told Russia’s Silver Radio (via Reddit). “We hope we’ll get it right soon, and after that we’ll start planning the next year’s tour.”

"It's a return to first loves, first struggles, just five guys learning about themselves and the world on the streets of Dublin, I mean Oxford."

Update: Greenwood has clarified his comments on Twitter. The Radiohead guitarist said lots of material has been recorded and “the band is about to go through it all to see if it’s any good.” Additionally, he said the band hopes to tour, but no plans have been confirmed.

Update: Thom and Colin have tweeted that upon going through it, it's not any good, so there won't be an album after all. "Things can get muddled in translation, especially into Russian and then back into English," Yorke, 49, explained. "What Jonny was trying to say was that if we'd actually finished a new album, hypothetically, then it would make sense that we'd be touring it in 2016. It's a hypothetical."

"Итак, у нас в гостях Джонни Гринвуд и Роберт Эймс! Следующий час - эксклюзивное интервью для Серебряного Дождя перед вечерним, единственным концертом в Москве! Слушайте и смотрите на silver.ru :) скорее! " Johnny exclaimed.

I'm definitely expecting something early next year. This year seems unlikely but you never know. Once it's finished it can go very quickly with these guys.

So few reactions? I hope it's because of Christmas.

I love it. There's just something strangely calming abut hearing Thom Yorke's voice on a new song, especially when you know it's Radiohead.

Amazing how it has all the ghostly hallmarks of Radiohead sitting comfortably alongside the more dramatic Bond aspects. It's about a million times better than the bloody Sam Smith song that ended up in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom