Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone on another forum made a comparison of the whole album to Vespertine. I think it's pretty apt.

Also, I'll transfer my comments about Burn The Witch to True Love Waits. Weakest closer since whatever is on Pablo Honey. It's a pretty enough song, but just kind of sputters to a finish. And obviously as I've said before I don't even like the idea of a 15 year-old song being the capper on what's supposed to be a periodic artistic statement. Bands often use material from previous sessions, but this is really pushing it.

Last edited:
It was a wonderful ride with headphones and weed. You had such beauty in the slower songs, and when they did pick up the pace, it just pulses.

Def a grower album, but loved how it just all fit together nicely. I do still long for the days of a rock song from them, but they managed to create something wonderful regardless. Kind of a mix of Kid A and In Rainbows. Lots of cinematic landscapes, and some songs with grooves

I think this might end up being my favorite album of theirs since Amnesiac, though it doesn't yet have a stand-out on the level of Bloom, Lotus Flower, Reckoner, 15 Step, or a There There yet. I do keep coming back to Burn the Witch and Glass Eyes, though. True Love Waits feels like an old friend, somewhat removed from this album through familiarity, but sonically and conceptually it fits perfectly. I'm sure that feeling will pass.

Let me be clear that I think Radiohead usually has phenomenal closers, so saying TLW is the weakest doesn't mean it's a piece of shit. But compared to Life In A Glasshouse, Wolf At The Door, The Tourist, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Separator, Videotape, this just doesn't have as much of an impact.

Videotape aside, that is an exceptional list of songs, so I'm not sure I agree or disagree. I certainly don't mind or care that it's 15 years old.

For me Burn the Witch and TLW are the weakest songs on the record, though I still like both. I like what Lance said about TLW finally finding its home. I can take or leave the song in general but I love the reworking of it and it does fit beautifully here though, I agree, not a strong closing song compared to others (most of which are among my favorite RH songs).

Way too early to know where this ranks for me in their catalog but all I know is I'm listening to it obsessively as I did with In Rainbows, Kid A, Amnesiac and Ok Computer, and I feel like I haven't even put a dent in all it has to offer.

Last edited:
Sorry for using the word "folk" here. It is in no way negative. It's just nice to hear some guitars that are not pushed too far in the back. I'll take any guitar I can get from the band.

The weakest opener and closer are both on King of Limbs for me.

We all have different tastes and preferences though, so whatevs.

And I will say that if I didn't know that the songs were in alphabetical order, I wouldn't have complained about the tracklisting after listening. I don't feel like they made any sacrifices in flow with this concept. Sure it doesn't flow as well as Kid A, but really most albums don't.

Also, since I've become an aaaadult in the last year or so, I've found that I'm less and less interested in ranking albums against other albums.

The only song that seems like it's in an odd place for me is Daydreaming.

This would bug me more if I hadn't listened to them back to back in the days preceding the album's release. I was used to them being paired together by that point.

Otherwise, I don't really give a second thought to the sequencing on here, which is a good thing.

I keep seeing this sentiment and it surprises me. The Numbers is a definite standout for me.

Yeah, I haven't listened to it enough (only twice all the way through) to have a learned opinion on it, but that's my initial thought as I listen to it.

Please note, that I don't mean it as a criticism. I've really enjoyed both listens, but as of now there are no distinct moments that I would point to.

I think the choral melody in the latter half of The Present Tense is a standout moment. Especially the one time - and it's only one time - when it reaches that higher note. Gets me every time.

Standouts for me:

Burn the Witch
Daydreaming
Glass Eyes

As some others are noting, though, every song feels like a suite, so it might be more appropriate to talk about standout moments or movements than songs.

You both have until midnight tonight to commit to standout tracks.

My favs:

Burn the Witch
Decks Dark (not enough people mentioning this one)
Ful Stop
Glass Eyes
Identikit
The Numbers
Tinker Tailor Long Title I Can't Remember

I like all the other songs on it a great deal as well.

Back
Top Bottom