RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen to an album once and then I throw it out... This album was difficult to do this however since it wasn't on CD so I threw out my computer instead... :up:

In related news, HTT is currently owning me, it's taken me quite awhile but man was it worth it...

Sail To The Moon -> Backdrifts -> Go To Sleep -> Where I End And You Begin = awesomeness...

lazarus said:
Well I'm still enjoying it.

And for the record, I like the "et cetera, et cetera". It's refreshing to hear Thom be a little flippant.

Choose your own price? Good.

Choose your own lyrics? Bad.

What is this "choose your own adventure". Seriously at this rate on the next album Thom will stop the music midway into a song and say: "If you want the next lyric to be 'A' skip to track 13. If you want the next lyric to be 'B" skip to track 14." :wink:

Here's news of a record company deal outside North America, accumulated from ateaseweb.com:
Radiohead, XL Label Deal Completed
Posted on October 31st, 2007.

Radiohead has ended weeks of speculation by confirming it has struck a deal with British indie label XL Recordings for the physical release of its new album, “In Rainbows.”

The deal is expected to cover territories outside North America, leaving the band free to sign a separate deal there, but no further details have yet been made available.

A release date for the physical CD has also not been given, but sources suggest it will coincide with the Dec. 3 arrival of the “discbox” edition of “In Rainbows” available only from Radiohead.com. Others speculate it may not appear until next year.

The band broke the industry rulebooks when they made “In Rainbows” available for download on Oct. 10, with fans able to name their own price. No sales figures have been released, but the band’s manager Bryce Edge told Billboard recently that reports of 1.2 million were “exaggerated.”

London-based XL, which operates under the umbrella of the Beggars Group, last year released Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke’s critically lauded solo album, “The Eraser,” which was nominated for the annual Mercury Music Prize.

“Radiohead are a constant inspiration to us all, because they unfailingly put creativity first. XL is more than honoured to be working with Radiohead,” explained XL founder Richard Russell of the deal.

“Radiohead have created a huge amount of excitement via the unique way in which they launched this campaign online,” added the label’s Managing Director Ben Beardsworth. “‘In Rainbows’ is truly a classic album and it deserves to reach a massive audience, well beyond that of download and boxset sales. We will be working closely with them to help deliver that.”

[from Billboard, NME, thx Tanner]

LemonMacPhisto said:
My friend texted this to me the other day:

"In Rainbows = 10 letters. 10 songs. Came out on 10/10"

and I had to respond "23?"

She's a bit of a kook, but that can't be coincidence, can it?
It's called the tenspiracy:
http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/

Last edited:
You guys really have to listen to that playlist in the link Muldfeld gave. It's godly.

Ten years after OK Computer shocked the world, Radiohead released In Rainbows on October 10 (10/10). Though no one was expecting the album to be released until 2008, Radiohead announced In Rainbows just ten days in advance. In Rainbows, which consists of ten letters, has ten tracks, and would be downloadable from a rumored ten servers.

Radiohead preceded the release of In Rainbows with nine cryptic messages. They repeatedly emphasized X, the Roman Numeral for ten, in phrases such as “March Wa X”, and “Xendless Xurbia”. The tenth message was posted on October 10 with a photo of the band drinking tea.

There has been a lot of speculation over Radiohead’s emphasis of ten surrounding the release of In Rainbows. One theory suggests that Radiohead was typifying a binary code of ones and zeros, 1010101010. This has come to be known as the Binary Theory, also called the TENspiracy by some.

Puddlegum first addressed the Binary Theory in Radiohead: 1010101010. Someone associated with Thom Yorke contacted Puddlegum, sharing Thom’s reaction to Puddlegum’s article:

“The meaning behind all of this is right in front of our faces, we’re just overlooking it. [Thom] has been expecting an article much like this one for a couple of years, as have I. But I’m willing to wager he’ll have fun waiting a few more. On the other hand, it seems to annoy him that no one ‘gets it’ yet, given the mountain of clues.”

Ten days after our original article, we have come to believe that OK Computer and In Rainbows were meant to complement each other. During the writing and recording process of OK Computer, Radiohead used the working title of Zeros and Ones. If OK Computer is represented by 01, and In Rainbows is represented by 10, then we have 01 and 10. In binary code 01 and 10 complement each other.

Consider that In Rainbows was meant to complement OK Computer, musically, lyrically, and in structure. We found that the two albums can be knit together beautifully. By combining the tracks to form one playlist, 01 and 10, we have a remarkable listening experience. The transitions between the songs are astounding, and it appears that this was done purposefully.

The lyrics also seem to complement each other. There appears to be a concept flowing through the 01 and 10 playlist. Ideas in one song is picked up by the next, such as “Pull me out of the aircrash,” and “When I’m at the pearly gates, this will be my videotape.”

To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer’s track one, Airbag, and follow this with In Rainbow’s track one, 15 Step. Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach Karma Police on OK Computer, making All I Need the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist. Follow Karma Police with Fitter Happier from OK Computer, for tracks eleven and twelve. These two tracks act as a bridge between the first ten and the following ten tracks on the 01 and 10 playlist. Then continue to alternate the albums again, picking up with Faust Arp on In Rainbows, with Electioneering on OK Computer as the following track.

Radiohead - 01 and 10 playlist:
1. Airbag (OK Computer)
2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)
4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)
6. Nude (In Rainbows)
7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)
8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)
9. Let Down (OK Computer)
10. All I Need (In Rainbows)
11. Karma Police (OK Computer)
12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)
13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)
14. Electioneering (OK Computer)
15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)
16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)
17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)
18. No Surprises (OK Computer)
19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
20. Lucky (OK Computer)
21. Videotape (In Rainbows)
22. The Tourist (OK Computer)

LemonMelon said:

Hail To The what, exactly? :wink:

If it's owning you, it couldn't possibly be Hail To The Thief. :tsk:

Yeah, I realized that after it was too late to edit... :grumpy:

No one is more surprised than me, I really did not like HTTT when I first got it but it has really grown on me...

Go To Sleep is my current favourite...

"We don't want the loonies taking over" :drool:

LMP, I just put that 01 and 10 playlist on my iPod, so I'll listen to it walking around campus today.

In other news, I present to you bitches my 2007 Halloween pumpkin:

n29614144347956046357ya7.jpg

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
LMP, I just put that 01 and 10 playlist on my iPod, so I'll listen to it walking around campus today.

In other news, I present to you bitches my 2007 Halloween pumpkin:

n29614144347956046357ya7.jpg

Officially the coolest pumpkin ever.

So 01 and 10 discussion?

I think it's insane. I'm still trying to digest everything.

I must say that 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place' is now my favorite song of the album.

:up:

elevated_u2_fan said:
nice, so if 38% of 1.2 million downloads were paid at an average price of $6.00...

$2,736,000...

Not bad, and that's pure profit with no pesky label, promotion and packaging costs...
The average price paid overall works out to $2.28 per download. Billboard estimated the band would've made $2.50-$3.00 per album selling it through a label. Based on those estimates, they still lost anywhere from (at best) 9% to (at worst) 24% of their earnings by going this route.

yolland said:

The average price paid overall works out to $2.28 per download. Billboard estimated the band would've made $2.50-$3.00 per album selling it through a label. Based on those estimates, they still lost anywhere from (at best) 9% to (at worst) 24% of their earnings by going this route.

That's probably not including the discboxes though.

Plus, they're going to recoup those losses once they put the CD in stores anyway.

I'm late to the party, I only just heard the album recently and forgot all about these mega-threads.

I avoided the new tracks (live stuff etc.) like the plague, so I think save for maybe bits of one or two songs, I hadn't heard any of this. I also avoided the hype the best I could, so I think I'm coming in with a pretty open mind.

Weird Fishes/All I Need/Bodysnatchers/Reckoner

all top of the line, awesomeness.

The others are either growing on me or at least pretty darn good.

Overall a strong album, not their best, far from their worst.
I wouldn't say I was disappointed at all, I'm also not blown away but that's certainly fine.

I think it's an excellent progression from HTTT and is an example of the kind of rock that hasn't yet become boring, although maybe they are just sounding like themselves, rather than trying to reinvent things all over again. Not really needed.

As of today, In Rainbows=8/10. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi =11/10

Here's a similar article from E! News, the most important part is in bold at the very bottom...

Source: http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=d4cd339c-2e60-4d1e-9808-5f54d47f525d&sid=fd-news

Fans Shortchanging Radiohead's Rainbows?
by Josh Grossberg
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 04:59:15 PM PST

That pot of gold at the end of Radiohead's Rainbows may not be as full as thought.

The band's ballyhooed In Rainbows, available only online at a price set by individual fans, may not be the paradigm-changing, label-killing force it's been hyped to be.

A new study says nearly two-thirds of respondents indicated they didn't pay anything for the download.

The findings were announced Tuesday by comScore, an information company that provides real-time measurements of Internet usage through a database of nearly 1 million Netizens. The company has permission to track all the users' Web activity. And according to comScore, approximately 62 percent of the people in its focus group who downloaded In Rainbows didn't kick in a single cent to what's been dubbed Radiohead's "honesty box."

The study was based on sales in the four weeks following In Rainbows' Oct. 10 release.

Those who did pay, forked over an average of $6 worldwide.

Based on its statistical sample, comScore found that Americans were more generous, shelling out an estimated $8.05 per download. Those abroad, mostly consumers in Europe, averaged $4.64 per download.

Some 12 percent paid between $8 and $12, about as much as what Apple's iTunes charges for a digital album. This group accounted for 52 percent of the band's profits.

Finally, 4 percent of the band's fans were dedicated enough to pay between $12 and $20—the same range as a typical brick-and-mortar record shop.

Still, according to comScore senior analyst Andrew Lipsman, Radiohead might be onto something.

"If [Radiohead] is getting $6 on average, and it's basically going straight into their pockets and their costs are minimal, it could be economically viable," he told E! Online.

Radiohead essentially needs to make $1.50 per download to break even, Lipsman estimates, so at $6 per buyer, the group still looks to make out pretty well with the scheme.

"The question is: How will new artists be able to use this [pay what you like] model in the future if they haven't built a fan base in the millions in the years leading up to the release of their album under [this] model?" said Michael Laskow, CEO of TAXI, a leading independent Artist and Repertoire firm.

Lipsman said that the comScore study revealed some interesting cultural differences in the downloading habits of American versus Netizens in the rest of the world, though predominantly in Europe.

"At least anecdotally, it sounds like there's much more of a music-download culture abroad," the analyst pointed out, adding that Americans' higher levels of disposable income might be one explanation.

Lipsman also pointed out that for every dollar consumers spent on download sales, they also spent $2 on Radiohead's $80 deluxe box set, which includes a free In Rainbows download, as well as a physical CD of the album, a bonus disc of eight additional tracks, vinyl records, a lyric book. The package is due to ship Dec. 3.

"It sounds like there will be continuing experimentation with this model," he added. "But the real question is: Was it worth it for Radiohead, and will there be more bands that experiment with it even without the notoriety they have?"

A rep for Radiohead has previously said the band would release sales figures at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Radiohead recently signed a deal with British indie label XL Recordings to distribute the In Rainbows CD in stores outside of North America on Dec. 3. The band is also in talks with a separate label for a Stateside release.

The band's old record company, EMI, meanwhile is trying to get in on the action. The label has announced plans to issue a seven-disc boxed set containing Radiohead's first six studio albums—from Pablo Honey to Hail to the Thief—as well as the live album I Might Be Wrong and original artwork by longtime collaborator Stanley Donwood for $80.

EMI will also make the catalog available in a limited-edition 4-gigabyte USB stick featuring the band's bear logo and CD-quality WAV files; it will also be available as a downloadable digital bundle.

Preorders for the boxed set are now being accepted at radioheadstore.com. The set will be available Dec. 10.

Radiohead has confirmed it will kick off a world tour in support of In Rainbows next May. In the meantime, according to the BBC, the rockers are gearing up for their first Webcast in five years on Friday, where they will reportedly talk about the new material and possibly play some songs.

:hyper:

I regret paying nothing for it. Yeah, I'll buy the album when it's physically released, but Radiohead won't see as much of my money as they would have if I'd paid for it online.

Oh well. Sorry, Radiohead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom