"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered about a week ago and got an e-mail with a special download code today. Not sure if you can still go to the website to download, but I tried to visit inrainbows.com this morning and it was so slow it wouldn't load.

PM me your e-mail address, beav, and I'll send you the files.

Dalton said:

Do you think there are others? :ohmy:

If I had suspected anyone else at my gym was listening to this on the treadmill at 6AM I might have had to throw myself at him (if it was a him). :love:

a couple more things:

1. Thom Yorke's voice is really nice on this album. Sometimes his voice is grating to me, but not here.
2. Glad there is an overall change in sound...Hail to the Thief didn't suck as much as a lot of people seemed to think it did, but it essentially sounded like more of Kid A/Amensiac. And then Thom Yorke's The Eraser sounded like even more of that. So to hear some beautifully crafted organic rock makes me :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'll come back after a few more listens and see if things change.

Go listen some more and come back and tell us you've found something to love on it. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:

Do you think there are others? :ohmy:

If I had suspected anyone else at my gym was listening to this on the treadmill at 6AM I might have had to throw myself at him (if it was a him). :love:

I'm pretty sure there was one other guy who was listening to the album. I've never talked to him, but I know he (like me) normally watches tv while running but this morning he had his ipod on and he looked like he was concentrating really hard.

At one point (i think during arpeggi) I realized that I was scowling because I was trying to figure out exactly what they were doing. I snapped back to reality and realized that one of the gym workers was staring at me.

I must have looked mean. :lol:

AtomicBono said:
a couple more things:

1. Thom Yorke's voice is really nice on this album. Sometimes his voice is grating to me, but not here.
2. Glad there is an overall change in sound...Hail to the Thief didn't suck as much as a lot of people seemed to think it did, but it essentially sounded like more of Kid A/Amensiac. And then Thom Yorke's The Eraser sounded like even more of that. So to hear some beautifully crafted organic rock makes me :drool:

I agree with everything said here...

I preordered the album on the 5th, but still haven't recieved the passcode. Will I get it later than everyone else, since I ordered it late?

Last edited:
i've got a few listens of "In Rainbows" in this morning (it's short--ab 45 minutes)

:drool:

nothing groundbreaking but certainly a unique sounding album for them...def influenced by "OK Computer" and "The Eraser"...a little splash of Belle & Sebastian with some of the later songs.

favorites: "Weird Fishes", "House of Cards"

really like the strings in "N^de" and the guitar towards the end of "Body Snatchers".

I'd put this in 4th...maybe 3rd place...

Ok Computer
Kid A
The Bends
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey
Amnesiac

AtomicBono said:
I'm glad I didn't listen to any live versions because all who did seem to be disappointed :wink:

I'm glad I did. They did wonderful things to most of these songs. :drool:

To any who are disappointed, just hang in there. I absolutely hated Kid A on first listen and could barely get through HTTT.

LemonMelon said:

To any who are disappointed, just hang in there. I absolutely hated Kid A on first listen and could barely get through HTTT.

..whereas I have always loved every Radiohead record on the first listen. Yes, every one of them. Oh, alright, except for Pablo Honey.

In Rainbows reminds me a lot of The Eraser, only better.

I don't get to listen to it again until the hour drive tonight to The Shins show. :hyper:

Dalton said:

I'm pretty sure there was one other guy who was listening to the album. I've never talked to him, but I know he (like me) normally watches tv while running but this morning he had his ipod on and he looked like he was concentrating really hard.

At one point (i think during arpeggi) I realized that I was scowling because I was trying to figure out exactly what they were doing. I snapped back to reality and realized that one of the gym workers was staring at me.

I must have looked mean. :lol:

Your gym people are cooler than mine.

I recall smiling during Arpeggi. I must have looked high.

joyfulgirl said:

I don't get to listen to it again until the hour drive tonight to The Shins show. :hyper:

Radiohead + Shins = Awesome

I still can't believe how incredibly different Reckoner is now, but how fantastic it is as well. I'm noticing a lot of other songs I didn't notice last night on my second listen right now. I'm still not a huge fan of 15 Step, but I liked it much more than I did the first time. The rest is owning me, which makes me quite happy. The whole vibe of this album is really satisfying, this is going to be a great "night album".

15 Step seems to me to be overproduced and underwritten. That isn't to say that I don't like it, but if I were producing. I would have forced them to add some more dynamic to the song and then cut out some of the electronic clutter. The song could really use a little space to breath.

Actually as I type this a thought has come to my mind: I would have produced 15 Step a little more like Sympathy for the Devil.

I think House of Cards is the only song that suffers from overproduction. 15 Step sounds perfect to me. :shrug:

I am now putting the album to the ultimate test. I have placed it into a playlist on my ipod that consists of:

The Bends
Ok Computer
Kid A
Amnesiac
HTTT
In Rainbows

and then hit shuffle. So far, the songs hold their own when shuffled into the mix of their older brothers and sisters.

I'm gonna go with House of Cards as my favorite...Nude and Arpeggi are great too, though Nude almost puts me to sleep, I won't lie...but thats probably just because I'm always tired :eyebrow:

anyway, this might make me listen to Radiohead more, especially since I was on the anticipation train at 1:00 AM last night along with many of you

that makes a fan out of anyone ;)

u2popmofo said:

I still can't believe how incredibly different Reckoner is now, but how fantastic it is as well.

Reckoner was definitely the standout song for me on the first listen.

joyfulgirl said:

Reckoner was definitely the standout song for me on the first listen.

It was a slight bummer for me at first when I realized it didn't even remotely resemble the old rockin' version they played years back, but what we did get with the same name was so good I can't complain.

I'm really enjoying All I Need now, must have been spacing out while listening to it last night. Great track.

Reckoner is the best song on the record. Period. I cannot BELIEVE that someone suggested it was the worst song on the record last night.

I'm at school now. I want to listen to the record again to see if it grows on me at all, but I forgot my earbuds, and there's a gospel choir that rehearses across the hall from the cybercafe on Wednesday afternoons. They're driving me up the fucking wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom