"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xaviMF22 said:

There There >>>LemonMelon :madspit:

My reaction to hearing the album the first time was "WTF is this crap? There's like two good songs (GTS, There There) on this! :| "

:( I hope AtomicBono likes it more than I and the majority of atease does.

HTTT doesn't suck. I'd say it's about as good as Amensiac. Some good songs for sure and some that do nothing for me.

I cannot listen to We Suck Young Blood...Thom's voice is so :yuck: but i think all the other songs are listenable, at least. A Punch Up at A Wedding is funky. reminds me a lot of Optimistic... in fact as a whole the album sounds very similar to Kid A and Amensiac. I hope In Rainbows has a bit more of the old Radiohead. Electronic is good but I miss, like, guitars and stuff. you know.

also I think my avatar would be a way better cover for In Rainbows than the stupid crown one they picked.

IN_RAIN_BOWS//

OMG PUTTING_/SYMBO_LS AN_D REPEAT//ING IT M_AKES IT S_O MUCH MORE ME_ANINGFUL/

OMG PUTT/ING/ SYMBO_LS AND REPEAT/ING_ IT MAKES// IT S_O MUCH_MORE MEANINGFUL_

existence¿ transcend these_ mundane meanderings .>

pulchritude . . /_

AtomicBono said:
also I think my avatar would be a way better cover for In Rainbows than the stupid crown one they picked.

Can you post this cover of which you speak? I saw it, but I lost the link. :slant: I need it for the CD-R I will inevitably make.

AtomicBono said:
HTTT doesn't suck. I'd say it's about as good as Amensiac. Some good songs for sure and some that do nothing for me.

I cannot listen to We Suck Young Blood...Thom's voice is so :yuck: but i think all the other songs are listenable, at least. A Punch Up at A Wedding is funky. reminds me a lot of Optimistic... in fact as a whole the album sounds very similar to Kid A and Amensiac. I hope In Rainbows has a bit more of the old Radiohead. Electronic is good but I miss, like, guitars and stuff. you know.

HTTT has plenty of guitars

2+2=5 = guitars
there there = guitars
go to sleep = guitars
I will = guitars
myxomatosis = guitars
punchup = guitars
sail to the moon = guitars

by the way sail to the moon features some of Jonny's best guitar work :drool:

well you get the point :wink:

well i dunno if its the cover or what but

i just mean the thing at the beginning of the website ... i assumed it was the cover.

xaviMF22 said:

2+2=5 = guitars
there there = guitars
go to sleep = guitars
I will = guitars
myxomatosis = guitars
punchup = guitars

2+2=5 is fucking awesome and I approve of that sound very much.

yes I know there are some guitars. There are also guitars in Kid A and Amnesiac. but somehow HTTT just sounds like more of the same to me. I hope In Rainbows offers a bit of a change.

Sit Down Stand Up is beautiful though...:drool: really the album is solid until We Suck Young Blood.

quiescent . . . luminance ¿

/

///iwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualive
iwilleatyoualive

iwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualive
iwilleatyoualive
iwilleatyoualive

AtomicBono said:

2+2=5 is fucking awesome and I approve of that sound very much.

yes I know there are some guitars. There are also guitars in Kid A and Amnesiac. but somehow HTTT just sounds like more of the same to me. I hope In Rainbows offers a bit of a change.

Sit Down Stand Up is beautiful though...:drool: really the album is solid until We Suck Young Blood.

quiescent . . . luminance ¿

/

///iwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualiveiwilleatyoualive
iwilleatyoualive

iwilleatyoualive
iwilleatyoualive

where I end and you begin :drool:

watch this...its like the best video ever..and it was released on TMGLMOAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2rlQdfZXUg

very creepy :yikes: :reject:

2+2=5 rocks in every way possible.

Sit Down Stand Up bores Me.

Sail To The Moon is beautiful.

Backdrift rocks, but it really is a song that is enhanced 1000X with headphones/earbuds. AH-AH-AHHHHHHH,YOU FELL INTO OUR A-A-A-ARMS...

Go To Sleep is relatively boring until halfway through, then it picks up and is really good.

Where I End And You Begin is other-worldly.

We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming are meh.

There There fucking rocks and is my favorite song on the record most of the time.

I Will is one of the most utterly gorgeous songs RH have ever put on a record.

A Punchup At A Wedding rocks almost as much as There There.

Myxamatosis has a groove that owns most other grooves. :combust:

Scatterbrain is beautiful.

A Wolf At The Door is beautiful(especially the bridge), even though RH should leave a thank you note beside John Lennon's grave since this song is built around the same riff I Want You(She's So Heavy) is built around.

tool_/

My m ind seeks informati_on con_(erning this b nd but nothing connects to m y internal server

Per_haps y/u have ent
ered this information thru the wrong port

aa/ port entitled ' tool ' would be more appropiate_

SYNTAX_ERROR_01010101010101010

Originally posted by Muldfeld:
"Why do you think they took out the climax to Videotape? Do you mean the part in which he sings, "This is my way of saying 'good-bye'"

From the performances of the tour that was still there, and, although Thom said it has changed a lot, we have no idea what the song sounds like now, right?"

xaviMF22 responded:
"no..the first performance of videotape included that powerful climaz

if you listen to the last show in Amsterdam you'll hear that the song is much slower and the drums aren't as powerful. So they slowly removed that climatic moment"

I thought the only thing that changed wasn't really the song stucture or even the instruments really but just the cymbal crash. Seriously, that's all they took out. In later performances, it's also that Thom sounded more tired.

I think that's pretty much it, though.

I agree, though, that the cymal crashes were great at heightening that moment. Apparently, Adam Clayton had the good taste to attend the event. He was supposedly seated near a member of atu2.com on that fateful May 18th, 2006 for the premiere.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

Sounds like a Killers thread :drool: :wink:
Speaking of The Killers, the singer is an arrogant fool, who pronounced the band's second album as perhaps the greatest album in the last 20 years. He then proceeded to take Thom Yorke's artistic work to task, saying, "Thom Yorke is incredible at writing pop songs, and he needs to get back to doing that." Bono has said the same sorts of things, referring to Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT work as too distancing, and that's why he's starting to lose my respect as far as artistic credibility goes. It's so tragic.

I can think of few things as amazing that U2 have done since Achtung Baby that rival Idioteque or How to Disappear Completely or Motion Picture Soundtrack or numerous other songs.

Brandon Flowers is unlikely to ever exceed that stuff, and both Bono and he are welcome to compete for the mainstream's undeserved attention. Radiohead will do its best to make quality music.

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

2+2=5 = guitars
there there = guitars
go to sleep = guitars
I will = guitars
myxomatosis = guitars
punchup = guitars

I love much of HTTT. It was the album that got me into Radiohead when it came out and I set about trying to prove to myself how much I hated the band by listening to it in a CD store and ended up intrigued. I think HTTT doesn't quite hit the heights of Kid A/Amnesiac, but it comes close and doesn't suffer from the crazy lows, either. Nothing as bad as Treefingers or Hunting Bears or Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors.

Radiohead are almost as amazing an acoustic band; I actually much prefer "There There" in acoustic form:
These performances are great:
I Will:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzLGUmb2MM
There There:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4BaNNtbvlw
Sail to the Moon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4W3YVpwUM

Here's a great version of You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CnCWAncnwE

I wish Radiohead would officially release all their videos including this neat one of "Like Spinning Plates":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBDsNiCCNM

I know this might sound mad, but I'm really busy with schoolwork these days and I want a light at the end of the tunnel, so even though I will probably download the album, I going to do my best to not listen to it until I get the boxset!

I still haven't listened properly to some of The Eraser!
Anyway, enjoy the album, folks.

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:
inrainbowsalbumcover.jpg

This is the album cover, I don't care what Radohead say :wink: It's the coolest cover ever :drool:

Muldfeld said:

Speaking of The Killers, the singer is an arrogant fool, who pronounced the band's second album as perhaps the greatest album in the last 20 years. He then proceeded to take Thom Yorke's artistic work to task, saying, "Thom Yorke is incredible at writing pop songs, and he needs to get back to doing that." Bono has said the same sorts of things, referring to Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT work as too distancing, and that's why he's starting to lose my respect as far as artistic credibility goes. It's so tragic.

I can think of few things as amazing that U2 have done since Achtung Baby that rival Idioteque or How to Disappear Completely or Motion Picture Soundtrack or numerous other songs.

Brandon Flowers is unlikely to ever exceed that stuff, and both Bono and he are welcome to compete for the mainstream's undeserved attention. Radiohead will do its best to make quality music.

100% opinion. 0% fact.

Somebody Told Me, Read My Mind are killer tunes.

And as good as Radiohead can be (Idioteque, Disappear, Pyramid), they can be downright awful ( We Suck Young Blood, Morning Bell/Amnesiac)

Muldfeld said:

Bono has said the same sorts of things, referring to Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT work as too distancing, and that's why he's starting to lose my respect as far as artistic credibility goes. It's so tragic.

You keep saying this, but either you read it wrong, or you don't understand context.

Here's one interview where he mentions Kid A:

An interview with U2’s Bono at Metromix.com has some Radiohead mentions. The interviewer Greg said: “You said the other day, “We’ve ‘Kid A’d’ ourselves to death.” It was a funny line, but I’m disappointed to hear that. [A reference to Radiohead’s 2001 progressive-rock album ‘Kid A’].”

Bono: I just looked at the pop machine and the machinations of pop and just said, we don’t have it in us, we don’t have the energy, to have our way with that. I don’t hear [Radiohead’s] Thom Yorke singing on the radio. I want to hear Radiohead, extraordinary band that they are, on MTV. I want them setting fire to the imaginations of 16, 15, 14 year old kids. I was 14 when John Lennon set fire to my imagination. At that age, you’re just [angry], and your moods swing, and it’s an incredible time to be hit with something like that. I don’t blame them [for not wanting to be on MTV]. But I think, what would my life be like without the Beatles? If the Beatles had just kept going on experimenting after “Sgt. Pepper,” I’d be interested to hear it, of course …

All my favorite innovators disappear into the woods and bring something back, and you get to hear the songs distilled from those experiments. I used “Kid A” as an example, because I love the album.

I don't see 'distance' or 'catering'(as you mentioned in the other thread) mentioned in this or any other interview I've seen. In fact he says he likes and wants to hear more...

So maybe you have links?

intedomine said:

100% opinion. 0% fact.

Somebody Told Me, Read My Mind are killer tunes.

And as good as Radiohead can be (Idioteque, Disappear, Pyramid), they can be downright awful ( We Suck Young Blood, Morning Bell/Amnesiac)
Why do folks say this everytime they don't like the opinion....
I was extremely excited when I first heard The Killers and bought their album the first week it was out, but I got very bored after a month. Those songs aren't very good and I especially mean the newest album. As bad as some Radiohead tracks can be (and I admitted some CAN be), there's usually something admirable, but my main point was that the supposedly experimental, non-mainstream alternative route had yielded songs Brandon Flowers will likely never make in his life because his attitude is more like a nowadays Bono than a true artist. He's got all the pretentiousness and little of the talent.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

You keep saying this, but either you read it wrong, or you don't understand context.

Here's one interview where he mentions Kid A:

An interview with U2’s Bono at Metromix.com has some Radiohead mentions. The interviewer Greg said: “You said the other day, “We’ve ‘Kid A’d’ ourselves to death.” It was a funny line, but I’m disappointed to hear that. [A reference to Radiohead’s 2001 progressive-rock album ‘Kid A’].”

Bono: I just looked at the pop machine and the machinations of pop and just said, we don’t have it in us, we don’t have the energy, to have our way with that. I don’t hear [Radiohead’s] Thom Yorke singing on the radio. I want to hear Radiohead, extraordinary band that they are, on MTV. I want them setting fire to the imaginations of 16, 15, 14 year old kids. I was 14 when John Lennon set fire to my imagination. At that age, you’re just [angry], and your moods swing, and it’s an incredible time to be hit with something like that. I don’t blame them [for not wanting to be on MTV]. But I think, what would my life be like without the Beatles? If the Beatles had just kept going on experimenting after “Sgt. Pepper,” I’d be interested to hear it, of course …

All my favorite innovators disappear into the woods and bring something back, and you get to hear the songs distilled from those experiments. I used “Kid A” as an example, because I love the album.

I don't see 'distance' or 'catering'(as you mentioned in the other thread) mentioned in this or any other interview I've seen. In fact he says he likes and wants to hear more...

So maybe you have links?
Well, maybe those exact words aren't used but that's the implication. He's saying that as good as "Kid A" is, Radiohead should have aimed for the mainstream instead. The fact is that dumbing yourself down for the mainstream these days seriously means dumbing yourself down for a bellweather audience that won't really care about your quality music. U2 couldn't get "Kite" played in every city's mainstream radio station much, so they bailed on a track in which they believed. The industry has to get less commercially-obsessed. The answer is not to dumb everything down, so a kid not really into music will suddenly be blown away. I don't have links because I read these things years ago, but the quotation you mentioned was one of them. Bono has made these comments in the past. Also this obsession with trying self-consciously trying to be like the Beatles in popularity is tragic and has led to some real creative mistakes by the band. How about trying to be U2 and not some neo-Beatles? He thinks the original route is a mistake, and it's pretty obvious, given the U2's last 2 albums.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Actually, there's supposedly a $200 limit to how much one can pay for the download.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom